1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

computer vs odometer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by terramir, Aug 3, 2015.

1. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was wondering if in the computer accessing by some sort of connector and stuff if there is anyway to retrieve the actual milage because I just discovered that my car had 140k miles in feb of last year and now the odometer reads 1296xx miles so someone has tampered with this, I am just hoping to find out how much it was tampered with so I can have a shot at retieving some money without giving the car back California prius'es are hard to come by and well I like this one if I can get an appropriate refund without having to sue this private party, or their predecessor in owning it (I actually suspect the last owners that sold it to me were victims too cause their an older Korean couple, honestly I doubt they did this.
    -*So I am hoping there is more than one register(computer memory address) that counts the milage of this car.
    Anybody know because then I would have some evidence to bring to bear. Also I would like to fix it if possible and have the odometer show the actual miles.
    Anyways I could use a crash course right about now.
    terramir

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not think that it is possible to track the "actual" odometer reading, vs. the reading reported by the combination meter (this is the ECU that includes the speedometer, fuel gauge, shift position indicator, and odometer.)

My guess is that the combination meter failed at some point during the car's history, and a used unit was installed which had a lower reading compared to the last reading logged by the failed combination meter.

valde3 likes this.
  3. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking more along the line of using the oboII port to get to the main ecu, hoping that the main ecu has a counter that would just register cumulatively. I wonder if and crack people on this forum, I think there is some way to hook up a laptop, with a pic processor negotiating the can bus and some Toyota diagnostic program I think I read about that somewhere before I decided to get a prius.
    hopefully someone can help
    terramir
    ps: this much I know now they bought it as salvage from a dealer with 103870 miles in November of 2014, and the accident happened in august where 103870 was already on the odometer the service report was 140170 on feb 01 I think 2014 so the discrepancy is at least 36300 miles plus what ever it was driven between feb 01 2014 and august 2014, guess is a minimum of 6000 miles there and that is on the low side so my car has the read value of 129557 + 36.300 + 6000 =171857 :(
    the car dealer that sold it bought it at auction that reported the salvage as an actual 103870, while they were responsible to check the car out the most they are guilty of is negligence.
    sure is a big difference though, the insurance company that totaled this car sure as heck was either defrauded so not just odometer fraud but also insurance fraud, sad thing is the investigator should have caught this.

#3 terramir, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The "main" ECU would either be the engine ECU or the hybrid vehicle ECU. Neither of those have non-volatile memory. When 12V power is removed, all memory in those ECUs is lost.

Yes, you can connect your laptop to the various ECUs, using Mini VCI. This is a very valuable tool you should get, regardless of your concern about the odometer reading incorrectly.

Since the car is salvage, and has been through many hands, I don't think it is reasonable for you to expect to pin the combination meter replacement on any one party at this point.

valde3 likes this.
  5. terramir

terramir Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Actually Because of mycarfax and the salvage pictures I know that the odometer manipulation happened before it was totaled and the insurance company is supposed to investigate the car's history before payout, original miles 140k in feb of 2014 accident totaled pictures show 103870 miles so it happened between feb 1st 2014 and august 2014 when the accident happened.
    the adjuster screwed up royally , and either the car was sold between the maintenance and the accident without the person being told or the person that took it in for maintenance committed insurance fraud this should be able to be traced just by checking if it was sold between the maintenance and the accident. where do I get the mini Vci though because I need to check on the battery and stuff.
    btw what engine oil you guys use, because I need to do an oil change quite soon.
    terramir

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    amazon.