1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused About How Low To Let The Tank Go.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Caseous, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Caseous

Caseous New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone. I'm enjoying my new 2012 Prius 4 and it's quite cool to watch the gas gauge go down so slowly compared to my old car. Thats said, I've read a lot about how low you should let the gas tank go before you refuel. I'm still on the first tank from the dealership and am currently at 3 pips. Some of the talk about not letting the tank get below 2 pips is from a while back because of the bladder: is that still a valid concern and a good guideline or can I let it go down to 1 or blinking on a regular basis? What's the current thinking?

Thanks,

Caseous

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 3rd gen Prius (2010+) does not have the quirky bladder found on 2nd gen (04-09) US Priuses.

I have no Gen 3, but personally, I wouldn't let it go lower than 1 pip. I'd get gas ASAP at 1 pip. If I got down to a blinking pip, I'd drop everything and get gas.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    0 miles to go seems to be, maybe, a 9.7 gallon fill so there's no need to panic.

I work off a 10 gallon fill: if I estimate my current trip will take me past 10 gallons I need to fill up.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have nearly a 2 gallon reserve after the last pip starts blinking. No rush.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Read at least the first post of [WARNING] Running out of gas (Gen III). While the complete story of what happened is not discovered until very deep into the thread (just search for Bob's postings), this post has the 'typical' numbers.

And beware that not all individual cars will go the same distance as a typical (i.e. Bob's) car. Variations will create a statistical distribution, and some people have to be unlucky enough to the short end of it.

6. Leealwayswantedone

Leealwayswantedone Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My First week with a used 2009, I read all about the gas gage concerns, and filled up yesterday at 4 lines. 328 miles @ 5.21 Gal=65 MPG!!! No way, I must have done the math wrong!

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    You have a Gen 2 w/the quirky bladder. 328 / 5.21 = 62.96 mpg.

On your Gen 2, if you find your manual calculations to be way off in one direction (e.g. much higher) from the MFD (multifunction display) on one "tank", it's pretty likely it'll be way off in the other direction on the next.

8. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't really understand why people flirt with the bottom of a tank. I try never to let a tank go below a quarter. Fuel in the tank keeps the fuel pump cooled and averts disaster, and if your routine is such that you can fuel your car any time you wish I say don't tempt fate.

But that's just me. YMMV.

xpcman and richard schumacher like this.
  9. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1
    When I used to stop for gas, I would do so at any time that was convenient after reaching 4 pips. If I ever reached two pips, I would make a point of it as you never know if it would be really inconvenient when you reached one pip.

Even if you refilled it immediately anytime you reached 4 pips, it sounds like you would be visiting the gas station the same, or less often than you did before:)

10. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think the lowest I went was 1 pip, but note, I also plan most of my drives, usually it is back and forth to work, but when it isn't, I pay attention to the gauge and plan to fuel up close to home, but rarely have I pushed myself to below 2 pips total.

11. PhilWray

PhilWray Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I usually fill on 1 pip solid or flashing (Gen II no bladder) and 500 miles + travelled

12. patsyk61

patsyk61 My Youngest granddaughter, Lauren

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I was letting the gas go down to flashing pip before I fueled up to see how much the tank would actually hold. But I did get down to 0 miles to empty & rode another 2 miles to the gas station. Won't do that again! I was on interstate & didn't realize how far the gas station was.I only hold 9.7 gallons.

13. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was at a gas station once, and a guy drove up in a VW Beetle that ran out of gas as he coasted to the pump. He was amazed, it just coughed and sputtered dead right at the pump. Unbelievable.