1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Confused about the wiring for HID kit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by CdotK, Dec 31, 2013.

1. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was laying out my HID's and just making sure everything was there and everything went together but i was a little confused about two wires. I got the DDM Tuning 55w with the HID Harness.
    Coming off the harness there are two little eye-let connectors that i assume get connected to a power source? Also i have an arrow and the question does that plug get plugged into the factory light plug?

Can someone help me out?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

• HID.jpg
      HID.jpg
      File size:
      143.5 KB
      Views:
  2. BreitrthnU

BreitrthnU Can you smell the premix?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you can leave all the stuff to the left out. My DDM kit only comes with ballast bulb and small harness. I would try to power it up. Looks like your kit may have come with an extra relay or those anti flicker modules.

3. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yeah thats what they told me the HID Harness is for, to prevent flickering.. they are the 55w ones not the standard 35w so im not sure if i need it or not.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your HID harness/relay should have 3 connections, power, ground, and signal. Power comes from the fuse box or battery, ground goes under an unpainted bolt on the chassis, and the signal connection is the driver's side headlight factory connector.

You have the connections wrong in your pic. The connections from the HID harness wire should be male connector (the one with the pins) goes to the factory lowbeam connector on the driver's side. The female connector goes to the short connector on the HID bulb, which is usually connected to the oem lowbeam connector in a non-harness setup.

The long connector coming off the HID bulb always goes to the ballast, that's where the HIDs get their power. You have the long connector going to the relay harness in your pic.

5. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks xliderider... question is do i 'need' the harness or will they work just using the ballast and bulb?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you have the relay harness use it. It will provide a more reliable power supply source than the factory lowbeam circuit wiring.

Many will tell you that the HIDs work just fine without the harness, but the suppliers and manufacturers all recommend using a relay harness.

SCH-I535

7. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am looking at the connections again and going over what you said and either I have the wrong harness/bulbs or you made a typo bc the way I have it set up in the picture is the only way it will all go together. The problem I am having is with the female connector from the harness connecting to the shorter male connector on the bulb.. the males pins are close together and the female side are wide so they dont go together.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ah, the narrow spaced pins are H11 and the wide spaced ones are 9005, like we have on the highbeam bulb.

You might need to wire the HIDs without the relay. Then contact the seller and get an H11 compatible relay harness.

9. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In that case, installing without the harness, it should go like the following..
    factory plug to ballast then the two small plugs from the ballast to HID bulb and that's it.. correct?

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No. The factory connector goes to the short wire on the HID bulb, as labelled in your pic. The long connector goes to the ballast. And then the two small connectors from the HID bulb are also connected to the corresponding ones from the ballast. There should be no unused connectors.

Think of it this way, the long wires have to be the same length coming, and going to the ballast (all 3).

11. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ill give it a shot. Thanks so much for all your help!

12. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well they seem to be turning on ok but i don't think i have them fully installed in the housing correctly as the left light seems to be pointing at the ground and little brighter than the right light and they seem to vibrate as i drive down the freeway.
    Its extremely difficult to get my hands in behind the light and rotate the bulb to find the proper alignment and twist it to lock it in.
    I would really like to remove the headlight and be sure the bulb is properly installed but i don't think its that easy to remove the headlight.

13. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just a quick update for people reading this...
    i hooked the lights up without the HID harness and they seemed to be ok but i am now noticing the driver side light is flickering here and there. So i am going ot contact DDM Tunning and get them to send me the correct harness.
    A side not to know. When installing the bulbs make sure the red seal is seated under the lip in the plastic housing of the bulb, if its not, its a royal pain in the butt to try and twist the lights into the locked position.
    Happy modding!

14. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I emailed the seller and everything is good.. the pins were bent close together and just needed to be spread apart.

On the other hand i am still struggling with how to connect everything including the HID Harness...
    They way Xliderider explained in an above post just doesn't make sense to me. i would think the factory plug would need to plug into the HID harness somehow to send the signal to turn on and draw the needed power. I still feel that i need to plug the factory plug into the one i have an arrow by with the question in my first post.

I really wish there was a diagram provided from DDM Tunning... would be real helpful!!

Maybe someone on here can do a quick one?

thanks all!

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    perfect... now that makes sense!
    thank you!
    Here are the pic for people looking for help as well.

Attached Files:

17. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am loving the output of the lights! When i drive up next to a car with regular halogen lights it almost seems as if their lights are nonexistent :cool:
    DISCLAIMER: i had a camera mounted in the car and that was how i was able to get this pic.

Attached Files:

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you do anything about the "squirrel finders", those rectangular cutouts in the OEM projector cutoff shields that let light shine high, above the lowbeam cutoff?

They are the reason those rectangular patterns of light can be seen above the cutoff when you are facing a wall, and are there to provide illumination of overhead signs, etc. However in an HID setup, it is known to cause a lot of glare to other drivers.

SCH-I535

19. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no i didnt do anything about that... there are so many lifted trucks here with obnoxious drop in HIDs that absolutely blind you when they drive at you or behind you... my little car probably dont bother anyone.
    Plus i like the signs being lit up.. makes reading them much easier!

20. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'd put in HIDs if it weren't for the stupid annual vehicle "safety" check/inspection required where I am.

Still might do it some day, but the thought of disconnecting everything each time I have it inspected, or take it in to the stealership for service is meh.

SCH-I535