1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Congress Fails To Renew Certain EV Related Tax Credits

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, Jan 12, 2014.

1. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm of mixed opinion about tax credits. I remember the Prius credit coincided with shortages and dealer markups, which curiously were the same as the tax credit. The credit appeared to be 'found money' for Prius dealers.

Bob Wilson

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Of the three the article listed, the business credit for chargers is the only one I'll mourn. This will keep some from putting in chargers for customers, and possible preventing a business from switching over a fleet.

The range, and safety, of motorcycles relugates them to toys for most people.

In regards to home chargers, the vehicles that what require a level 2 EVSE get the full $7500 car credit. With the recent price drops another $1000 isn't needed.

austingreen and wjtracy like this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bigger in the news here in DC is the lost commuter credits which gave folks who took public Metro some money back. Who knew there was money back for commuters? but apparently a lot of US govt agencies took advantage of this tax credit. This credit is also mentiond in the article above.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, people who were taking advantage of that at work have had their monthly limit for public commuting reduced.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When I look at them, I feel like having most of these temporary 55 tax breaks expire is a good thing.

On the first item buyers of plug-ins already get a tax credit. If its not high enough then raise it, but don't tie it to the chargers. These have gotten much more affordable
    ClipperCreek introduces low-cost Level 2 home charger for $590
    Bosch's $449 electric vehicle home charger is a bargain | The Verge

The second one is a credit that should not have been available this year, but snuck into the budget as payback last year, along with subsidies for NASCAR and other bad law.

The last one may be something that is still viable, but really at the low cost of chargers today, I doubt that credit really would get many businesses to install chargers that will not today.

We could use fewer tax credits, and lower rates. Temporary credits should expire, and need good reasons to be put back into place. The big credit, the battery tax credit for plug-ins is still there, and it should provide all the financial incentives plug-ins need, other than maybe higher oil taxes;)

7. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No credits or subsidies for any person or megacorp (that would be ideal).

8. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I go for flat tax with no write off for anything. Makes tax simple with no loopholes. But Rep/Dem would prevent that from ever happening.

9. Dogwood2

Dogwood2 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But we would be lost if the braniacs in Washington were deprived of the tools they need to micromanage and control our lives! And how could those people and megacorps survive without that endless trough of government money?

Gentleman, your ignorant blasphemy hints at a shocking lack of respect for your intellectual and moral superiors. Prepare for an IRS audit! And in the future, you'll be making bricks without straw! :eek:

10. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  11. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree. As soon as they disappear, watch the prices tumble.