1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Connection Diagram for Speedometer?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Bill the Engineer, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone know where I can get the connection diagram for the cable going into the speedometer of the Prius V, and for a Lexus HS250h? I know that they use the same connector, but I need to be sure that the same lines are used for the same signals. My convertible project has evolved and I am now planning to use a Prius V drivetrain under my convertible. However, The HS250h speedometer is the best match for the speedometer openings in the convertible's dash.

Bill the Engineer

[​IMG]

2. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]
    Tread width and tire outer diameter the same. Wheelbase within .38 inch.[​IMG]
    Decision made. I'm looking for a Prius V Donor Car.

Bill the Engineer

3. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Hmm I have to watch this.

4. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    [​IMG]

I'll post updates as I have them, and questions as they arise. At the moment I have the HS250h speedometer in-hand, while the purchase of a hail damaged or tree-fall Prius V is probably going to be next spring once everything is ready for it. The Firebird floorpan removal will already be mostly done by then.

[​IMG]

At this moment, gathering the info I need to use the HS250h speedometer with the Prius V wiring is at the top of my mind.

Bill the Engineer.

5. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just curious, do you know what the comparible weights are for the chassis/suspension/interior components that you've be using vs a v?

Are you keeping the rear axle or replacing it with something without a differential? Are you using the Prius front end? It would seem, not that I know how much work you want to do, that this would be a lot easier if you started with a FWD car. I'm not knocking what you are doing, but man that is a lot of work. Good luck in any event.

6. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am a machine design engineer with 33 years of experience and a specialty in reverse engineering. (Thus my screen name.) This project has been something that has amused me for a couple of years, but now I am finally making some progress!

I originally planned this project around a Gen-III Prius or HS250h, but came to realize that the Prius V is a closer match dimensionally. The above exploded view of the Firebird body shows the parts to be cut-away in red. The finished car externally is planned to look as close as possible like a mint-restored Firebird. The entire underframe of the Prius V including all mechanicals front to rear will be spliced up under the Firebird's body to create my "Firebrid." I am calling it "Eco-rodding." The below diagram shows the cut-away portion if I use a HS250h, but the V would be similar.
    [​IMG]

The present condition of the Firebird is tired but good. The bodywork is good except for the floor pans which are rusted out, as is the trunk floor. Such is the fate of an old convertible. I have laser scanned the Firebird's firewall and chassis geometry so I could compare sizes. The firewall of the V will sit about 6 inches forward of the Firebird firewall when the wheel centers are aligned. The engine bay of the Firebird will entirely envelop the V's structure and engine bay. I will need to create bridge pieces between the two. Fortunately, I have been designing vehicle parts for years in my day job, so this isn't anything new for me. The below diagram shows the alignment with a GEN-III, but the V is similar.
    [​IMG]
    To directly answer the above question, ALL of the bottom of the V will be used: front and rear axles and suspension, hybrid powertrain and batteries, fuel system, etc. The dash of a 1967 Firebird is a welded-in structural member of the car, and the V's controls will replace the originals in the dash and console. A/C ducting will be adapted to use vintage Firebird outlets in the dash. The lower steering components will be adapted into the Firebird steering column, with the controls from the V steering wheel relocated to the shift area of the console. The rear seat area may be taken-up by the hybrid battery and fuel tank, but I will make sure that there is enough room for the convertible top to go all the way down.

I have owned this Firebird for 35 years. (I dated my wife in it, and now we have adult children.) I plan to finish it in the original factory correct colors inside and out. We plan to retire to a beach community on the East Coast, and have dreams of drives to the beach with the top down!

Here is what the convertible looked like back in the day...
    [​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

7. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ahhh...I completely missed that.

Bill, I'm an engineer myself (I've developed high efficiency drive systems for EVs but currently work in Aerospace) I just didn't get the extent of the Prius you were using. I will ask for the benefit of the Priuschat community that you either post pictures as you go or start a blog and let us know its location on the web. This is an awesome project.

8. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    I second that.

9. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Before I made the decision to go with the Prius V, I had a running commentary going over on the Club Lexus site.It is easy to spot the evolution of my thinking on this project. Prius V wins!

HS250 / Convertible conversion project - Club Lexus Forums

Once I get the chance, I'll start something similar here.

Bill the Engineer

#9 Bill the Engineer, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Chazz8 and nsfbr like this.
  10. Bill the Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Moderator,
    Should I start a new topic for the Convertible Project, or should we just rename this thread? Is this in the correct V Forum?

Bill the Engineer

[​IMG]

11. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm no moderator, but I'd start a new thread in this same v forum and post a link to it as a final post in this one.

And thanks again for sharing. (I sense pictures coming!)