1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a 2016, few questions vs Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Pasaman, May 25, 2016.

1. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I could probably find the answers but I have a few questions if like to ask in one spot.im considering a three with ATP.

1. How is the drivers seat comfort?

2. Any easier to see out the back window while driving than previous gen?

3. How does this drive compared to gen 3? Smoother quieter etc.

4. How is the interior layout as far as functionality?

5. How is the interior storage and cargo space?

5.5. Does anyone have pics of the 2016s moon roof? I'm having trouble finding some.

6. Any other things you are noticing over Gen 3 that you like?

7. Does anyone actually prefer the gen 3 over gen 4 outside of exterior styling?

I'm still torn on if I want/need the three and ATP. But I want navigation and kind of like moon roofs so I think the three with ATP is my only option.

#1 Pasaman, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    ETP, Jim in NC and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My answers based on 6 years of Gen3, and 2 test drives (as a driver and as a passenger) of 2 different Gen4s:

1. It is snug - and feels more comfy than Gen3. Whether this is better for long drives, cannot judge at this time.
    2. No, it is the same - if not a tad worse. But parking is assisted with a camera, and if you have them park sensors or even Intelligent Park Assist and Rear traffic alert. For regular driving, might be an issue for "corner" situations. But on the Gen3 these have been really limited and I don't have a back up camera to help me. That would solve all visibility issues.
    3. Hands down quieter! It tends to drive electrically more often and with more push. To the point I was quite "annoyed" by it in a way because I wanted to hear the gas engine noise during my test drive and wanted to compare it to my Gen3. When I sat after the test drive of the Gen4 back in my Gen3 and turned it on and the gas engine fired up, I was like "oh my goodness - this is LOUD". Otherwise performance on paper is the same as Gen3, but with more efficient drivetrain, hence higher MPGs.
    4. Pretty good as in Gen3. I might miss the upper glove compartment box, and the lower one is smaller. But I think a lot of stuff I am already dragging around will be thrown out as I never used it - including a big map book. Never used it in 6 years. And the back trunk though bigger, misses some place to put things like bags and other smaller object - it is in fact one big empty space. It will require some kind of box with laces to keep it in place (there are hooks for that).
    5. see comment on 4. plus it is bigger than Gen3 - for 5.5 cannot help on this, it is not even available as an option here in Germany
    6. the color HUD is amazing, crisp and clear; the styling which I find more modern and different from the rest, less conventional as this car is; the new dash with modern LCDs that provide a wealth of information in bright, crisp color; many features are now standard (at least in the German models), like DAB radio, electric foldable rearview mirrors, backup camera
    7. some here in the forum prefer Gen3 to Gen4 styling. I never particularly like Gen3 styling, I found it acceptable. Even before Gen4 came out, I thought Gen3 was "old" - especially the back. I find Gen4, with all its quirkiness and weirdness a new breath of fresh air, that nowadays only a few manufacturers try (e.g. Mercedes, Honda with the Civic, Renault and Peugeout at times). Most cars look alike themselves among the same brand, or even across brands. The current Golf is not much different as the Golf from 15 years ago. The current series 2 from BMW, looks like exact copy of the B class of Mercedes, from 5 years ago.

Ursamajor, kithmo and Pasaman like this.
  3. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My first Prius. So I can't compare to Gen2/3. Many other threads about what people "like"...Have you read those? Here's my 5-cent opinion. But you might want to start by reading the thread: "What I don't like about the 2016 Prius." That will show you both sides of the coin.

1. Driver's seat comfort: I'm 6'-4", 260 lbs. I'm amazed that I can fit in a Prius; and pretty comfortably, too. That sold me, right there! Plenty of headroom/legroom. Wish the cloth seat had more padding.

2. Back window: I can see out of it just fine. (I even have the smaller "slot window" blocked with a Heat Shield.)

3. Drive: I've complained numerous times about the tire noise with my Toyo tires. I believe the cabin should have better sound insulation. But other than that, I enjoy the ride, handling, smoothness of the suspension. It's no sports car, but it's very capable and pleasant to drive.

4. & 5. Interior: The dashboard is definitely " different", but I like that! It's "spaceship" like. No problem with the controls. I even like the "white china" cup holders. (I'm in the minority on that one.) Storage space is much smaller than I was used to in my Camry... but that's Ok. I just don't carry as much unneeded junk.

5.5 Sunroof: I don't miss having a sunroof/moonroof at all. Had nothing but problems with the moonroof in my Camry. See posts by "Frederickdawg" and his 2016 Prius moonroof. He's mentioned wind noise, and it not closing properly.

Certainly can't complain about the gas mileage! :)
    I get 58-60 under all conditions; And I'm driving my Prius like a regular car. (What a shock, as I was only getting 17mpg in my Camry.) The Navigation is a bit overwhelming for me... never had one before. I'm struggling thru the 300 page Nav instruction manual. I think it's way overly (and unnecessarily) complicated. I don't have the ATP. Didn't want to pay another 2K. But I wish I had the "cross traffic alert" for when backing up. And the "blind spot monitor" might be nice. Don't need the rest.

I just simply wanted a good, reliable, gas-saving, low-maintenance compact car for my retirement years. (The "hybrid" part was just a bonus... Priority on "low maintenance.") I had a budget of $25K to spend... and that's exactly what I paid for my Three model.

Re: Gas engine Mine has a "throaty growl" to it. Even with just moderate acceleration, I can hear it loudly. That's not a bad thing, just didn't expect it. It lets me know that there's an actual real engine under the hood! :ROFLMAO:

Pasaman likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Cargo space you should be judge.
    I feel the EPA cargo space numbers may not be true for Gen3 vs. Gen4 comparison .
    I think the Gen4 version with a spare tire probably about the same as Gen3 except you lose the under floor cargo space of about 3-ft3. The Gen4 version without spare you pick up a few more ft3.

Pasaman likes this.
  5. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I own both a Gen 3 (model II) and a Gen 4 4 w/ ATP & PCP.

Here are my answers:

Much more comfortable in the Gen 4. I frequently drive 6 hrs each way to visit elderly parents. In my Gen 3 that produces an aching butt and requires a seat cushion. In the Gen 4 I feel comfortable during the entire drive without an extra cushion.

2. Any easier to see out the back window while driving than previous gen? About the same.

3. How does this drive compared to gen 3? Smoother quieter etc. The Gen 4 is way quieter, has better steering and the suspension is really nicely damped. As far as acceleration, The NORMAL mode on Gen 4 is about as powerful as POWER mode on Gen 3. The Gen 3 feels heavy and sluggish compared to my Gen 4.

4. How is the interior layout as far as functionality? Controls and displays are laid out nicer in the Gen 4. They feel higher quality and the displays with the blue backlighting is a pleasure to see.

5. How is the interior storage and cargo space? I missed the storage area under the flying buttress bridge of the Gen 3, but I have enough room in the console tray, console storage and glovebox for most things. I really miss the under cargo floor storage area in the back. That is a great thing on the Gen 3.

5.5. Does anyone have pics of the 2016s moon roof? I'm having trouble finding some. I'll try to take some and post for you.

6. Any other things you are noticing over Gen 3 that you like? The cornering and steering in the Gen 4 is way nicer. It reminds me of some of my favorite Hondas and is kind of fun.

7. Does anyone actually prefer the gen 3 over gen 4 outside of exterior styling? The Gen 3 body style was nice for its day, but now it is starting to look dated. The Gen 4 has some wild parts to it, but it is an attention-getter and in a year or two will be more accepted. Lots of cars are going for edgier looks.

6. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the info everyone! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the moonroof.

Jim in NC likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget to read thru all the gen 4 threads, there's more info, opinions and pics than you could ever ask for.

yes.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My responses are admittedly chauvinistic, being happy with our 2010, and somewhat dismayed by some aspects of the 2010. Also, my comments are in the main from reading; I've sat in a 2016 demo, that's all.

2. Any easier to see out the back window while driving than previous gen? My understanding is it's a bit worse, and 3rd gen is pretty bad.

3. How does this drive compared to gen 3? Smoother quieter etc.

4. How is the interior layout as far as functionality? Our 3rd gen doesn't have a Multi-Function-Display, and I'm fine with that. I'm still not happy with it: flush mounted buttons, a dearth of tactile buttons and sliders, all take your attention away from the road. The 4th gen with it's Darth Vader MFD doesn't impress me. The lack of a 12 volt outlet in the front dash is another negative. Too much acreage is devoted to rarely used controls, IMHO.

5. How is the interior storage and cargo space? A big step back from 3rd gen: two glove boxes becomes one, and it is shrunk in volume, largely to accommodate the "sculpture" dash. The very utile under-floor tray in the hatch area is gone.

5.5. Does anyone have pics of the 2016s moon roof? I'm having trouble finding some.

6. Any other things you are noticing over Gen 3 that you like? MPG improvement, 12 volt battery more conventional, in the engine bay.

7. Does anyone actually prefer the gen 3 over gen 4 outside of exterior styling? Emphatic yes.

A few more thoughts:

a) In the States, the upper model levels strip out the temporary spare, sub'ing an air pump with slime. I believe it's 2, 3 and 3 touring that have a spare.
    b) The white porcelain interior trim is what it is. Some hate it, some abide it, is there anyone who likes it? Not sure.
    c) All rims, 15" and 17", now come with plastic inserts.

That's a good one.

Hey, I like the 12 volt, c'mon.

bisco likes this.
  9. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe it's your avatar but for some reason, I just "remember" you.

You came from a Mustang in 2013
    2013 now or when 2014 is out? | PriusChat

to a 2014 PiP
    FS: 2014 PiP Base - Blizzard Pearl 19k miles | PriusChat

To 2015 Prius C
    Anyone went from PiP to C? | PriusChat

to a company car
    2015 Prius C Three Moonglow - Lease takeover | PriusChat

And now to a 2016 Prius? Toyota must really love you. I'm just some guy on the Internet but is there no one else telling you to stop buying a new car every year based on some change at work that makes the current car not an ideal commuter? :eek: Feel free to ignore me, I'm just concerned about you, pal.

bisco and krmcg like this.
  10. Pasaman

Pasaman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    lol Not sure why I'm going to explain myself but...

I had a mustang from 2005-2013. I'm leaving my current company so the company car is about to go away. So that left me with the C i have been trying to get rid of for awhile now (too small for me). Finally found a taker so I'm going to get a 2016 (possibly back to gen 3) to replace it. So all of this boils down to I had a PiP (my first prius) and thought I'd save a few bucks by leasing a C, and very soon realized I hated the C and don't like leasing. So I'm trying to replace it.

I appreciate the concern though and feel honored that someone is checking up on me. :D

bisco and krmcg like this.
  11. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I admire the loyalty, or obsession, with the Prius.

PriUncut likes this.
  12. soldierguy

soldierguy Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I never owned a Prius before my '16 Two Eco. I took a test drive in a low-mile used '15 and ruled it out for two reasons: (1) the flying buttress center console meant my husband couldn't drive it...it forced his knee into the steering wheel (he's 6'5" with long legs), and I couldn't see buying a car he couldn't drive. (2) The used one I drove had 5000 miles, and it sounded like the dashboard was going to fall off over the next speed bump...really, really rattly. With that said....

1. Seat comfort is good. I commute about 230 miles round trip, 5 days per week. No aches, no pains...very comfortable for me, although I wish it had adjustable lumbar support (a common complaint for me with most cars) on the lower trim models. I prefer cloth seats and want adjustable lumbar...a combo that many manufacturers don't seem to offer.

2. Over the right shoulder lane changes have me using the passenger side mirror...it's tough to see anything in the lane next to you without using the mirrors because the rear pillar is quite substantial. Rear visibility is fine for closer objects, but the roofline tends to block things well off in the distance behind me.

3. Limited experience with the gen 3, but to me it's quiet, smooth, comfortable, and drives like a regular car. I will say though that stopping smoothly is challenging...I've heard that it's better on the 4th generation than the previous ones, but the brakes don't modulate as well as a conventional braking system.

4. Back seat room is stingy, and the owners manual takes up nearly the entire glove box. I wish the center console bin (where the Qi charger is on the three and higher models) had better defined edges, as the sloping edges have me concerned that the little things I toss in there will slide out in a corner. It hasn't happened yet though.

5. See my comments in 4, above.

6. I like the fact that the '16 doesn't have the flying buttress center console, because of the reasons I mentioned above.

7. I like the 3rd generation's exterior styling better than the 4th generation, but I like the interior of the 4th generation better than the 3rd.

bisco likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The owner's manual is one of the things available on techinfo.toyota.com before the paywall, so you can download it for nothing.

For 2011 and later, it is a single big PDF file. (2010 and earlier had it split into sections, more annoying to download.) Therefore:
    1. Download owner's manual onto phone
    2. Get PDF viewer app if not on phone already
    3. Empty out the glovebox
    4. Profit! More room in glovebox, and you can text-search the manual.
    The other glovebox fodder like nav manual, warranty/maintenance guide, etc., are downloadable there too.

-Chap

pakitt, Robert Holt and bisco like this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't carry the manuals. easier to wait until you get home. i've never needed them except to reset the maint. message or what have you.

Frederickdawg and PriUncut like this.
  15. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yeah, and the increased milage from not having to carry the weight of the manuals. :D

bisco likes this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Very good. You sit in the seat rather than sit on the seat. It's like the seat wraps around you. Cushioning is good (the designer does have a bad back apparently)

2. About the same

3. Sprightlier in the lower end (e.g. from a stop). It definitely uses the electric motor more often and where it matters (0-30mph range), it feels torquey enough and with the Li-Ion battery, it does keep the engine off for longer. It is much quieter in the front seats but I'm starting to notice that the rear can be noisy depending on road surface (a lot of the noise is tire noise. Wind and road noise is quite low). It's much more comfortable thanks to the 4-wheel independent suspension. Even though it is tuned a bit stiffer (and ours has the Touring spec suspension so it'll be a bit stiffer than your Three), it's comfortable enough. Eco mode in the Gen 4 feels more powerful than in normal mode in the Gen 3. It's probably just some software tuning plus the new electric motors. The quicker steering ratio is much appreciated. A left turn in a Gen 3 is a half-turn affair and a right turn is a 3/4 turn affair. On the Gen 4, just under a 1/4 and just over a 1/4 respectively.

4. Functionally, everything is laid out logically. Toyota gave us knobs for volume and tuning (other markets don't have it). You lose climate controls on the steering wheel so you'll have to operate the climate control from the dashboard like a normal car (lol). I thought the shifter was a bit out of reach compared to the Gen 2 (next to the steering wheel) and Gen 3 (high up on the centre console) but of course it's still within reach for safe driving.

5. Storage compared to a normal car? Good. Storage compared to the Gen 3? Poor. The Gen 3 has a tray under the flying bridge, an upper glovebox, a large lower glovebox, 2 cargo underfloor bins. The Gen 4 does gain front door pockets (They were removed for Gen 3), rear door bottle holders

5.5 [​IMG]

6. Everything mentioned in #3. But I do like the LED headlights and the striking taillights

7. I like both. They have their qualities.

pakitt, Pasaman and alanclarkeau like this.
  17. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Placing manuals in glovebox is so 20th century.
    uploadfromtaptalk1464417573021.jpg

LG-H901 ?

pakitt, kithmo and bisco like this.
  18. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't skip the ATP no mater what you buy and the red is to die for.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here are the promised pictures of my sunroof. Enjoy. :)
    IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1058.jpg IMG_1068.jpg IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1071.jpg

pakitt, jbkendrick, Pasaman and 2 others like this.
  20. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited