1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consultation before buying a used Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JakeMA, Aug 31, 2014.

1. JakeMA

JakeMA New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello All, new here so I hope I'm writing in the right forum :)

I live in MA and I'm about to buy my first Prius.
    I was looking at a 2006 Package 2 with all of the features besides leather seats.
    The car has 160K miles on it, one owner.
    Asking for 6500$.
    Any ideas or recommendations on what to pay more attention to when looking on the car?
    Anyone has experience with the car driving in snow assuming I'm using regular all-season tires?

Anything comes to your mind will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Review service history
    2. Make sure that no dashboard warning lights are on
    3. Have the car checked out by a Prius-trained technician if you are serious about buying it
    4. If you have substantial winter snow you will be happier and safer using winter tires during that season

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome!

If it has every option (including the navigation system) but leather, it's a package 7.

The only things I've run into so far with the '07 are a leaking engine coolant pump and an aux battery replacement.

The leaking coolant pump is easy to check for. Look down the passenger side of the engine, near the bottom, for the large black water pump pulley. If leaking, you'll probably see pink, crusty buildup inside the back of the pulley. It costs about $350 for a service department to replace, or about $100 in parts if you're a DIYer.

If the 12v aux battery is original, it is likely due for replacement. It costs about $150-250 to replace, depending on which battery you choose and whether or not you install it yourself.

I drive the '07 in snow periodically. I really like how it does. I think the best strategy is to try to keep the traction control system from activating. Once it does, it really limits the power and makes it difficult to keep going. Practice starting from a stop in the snow to get a feel for how much go pedal you can give it before traction control activates (flashing yellow dash light, power to wheels cut). Then try to train yourself to stay below that threshold (it varies with snow conditions, of course, but you get a pretty good feel for it after a while).

Not all all-season tires are equal in snow. Some do much better than others. I like the using Tirerack user survey compilations to find out which all-seasons do best in snow (or in any other category). Here's the table for standard touring tires:

Consumer Survey Results By Category

I've been using the Hankook Optimo H727 all-seasons and they do incredibly well in the snow...better than some snow tires in Consumer Reports' test a few years ago. There are some other strong snow performers in the all-season categories. Snow driving on Goodyear Integrities is much more challenging.

On the East coast, you might want a set of studded winter tires to deal with ice. You probably get a lot more ice than we do, and non-studded tires have a tough time on ice.

#3 tanglefoot, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! you're outside the warranty at 160k, so set aside a 4 figure emergency fund in the off chance something goes wrong. with any luck, you'll get 2-250k out of her without any major issues. but be prepared for all the small things like shocks, brakes, pumps, belts, hoses, bearings and etc. all the best!(y)

The Electric Me likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You want snow tires.

Also if you are purchasing this vehicle, do you have the budget to handle some things that "might" come up?

I would want a separate account with about $3000 in it, to handle anything major that might come up.

The easiest one to point at would be Hybrid Battery, which if it hasn't been replaced is getting long in the tooth.

I wouldn't purchase this vehicle if it breaks the bank, and you have no resources for any possible repairs that might come up.

The Prius is well-built, well engineered IMO but like all machines, after years of use things start to need maintenance and repair.

If you are willing to buy it, with the knowledge that some repair, possibly significantly expensive repair "might" be coming? Go for it.

I also don't know how much expense you might be able to avoid doing self repair, and self maintenance. If you are big into DIY and capable, then some of the bigger expenses can me lessened.