1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports 2012 Ownership Satisfaction Survey

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ftl, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Just got the January 2013 issue of Consumer Reports, and hybrids and EVs swept the board in the relevant categories. The numbers are the percentage of owners who would "Definitely buy again":

Small Cars: Volt 92%, Prius C 87%, Leaf 86%

Family Cars: HyCam 87%, Prius 85%, Prius Plug-in 84%

Wagons & Minivans: Prius V 83%

The survey was based on 350,000 cars of 240 models, spanning 2010 through 2013 model years.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So did they include their "we do not recommend the Prius c" or words to that effect?

Bob Wilson

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Not a word - although they devoted a full paragraph to the Volt, and mentioned the c only in passing in the body of the article. Nor was there any mention of the review when the c topped their reliability survey in October.

I think the original negative review of the Prius c and the follow-up defensive and hostile blog post have proved to be a bit of an embarrassment for the magazine.

Rob.au likes this.
  4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is stellar...I am pleased to see HyCam finally hitting the spot. Somewhere around 03 or 04 I started waiting for the rumored HyCam and thought they'd never make one finally came out in 06 but it was less impressive than Prius so I defected. Harder choices today, and that's a good thing.

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's nice.
    But I don't put too much stock in same year, ownership satisfaction surveys.
    I think if a vehicle scores very, very low, you can perhaps determine that it is flawed and to be avoided.
    But I take high scores with a grain of salt. Because in this day and age, if you spend any time researching your vehicle purchase, and I believe the majority of people do, then most people are going to be happy, and say they would buy it again,- well...because they just bought it.

Most people want to like the vehicle they just bought, or they wouldn't buy it to start with. So unless they drove it off the lot, and had it explode into flame? I think the tendency is to say you would buy...the vehicle you just bought.

That being said, The Prius has great repeat owner loyalty. I think partly because it is such a (still) relatively unique product. IMO nothing exactly, and perfectly competes with it...even today.

I think what you really want to know...is why the 7%-15% of people that just bought are saying they wouldn't buy it again...those answers would be far more revealing.

The only vehicles I haven't liked in the first year of ownership, were vehicles forced on me by circumstance. Any vehicle I had the time and resources to orchestrate the purchase, I have liked...at least for the first few years.

parnami and Trollbait like this.
  6. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Note that per my original post, the results are based on up to three years of ownership, not just first year reports. After three years most of the new car euphoria will be gone, and respondents will give meaningful answers.

This obviously doesn't apply to the Prius c.

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Understood.

I didn't catch the 3 year span.

I still think Hybrids benefit from a loyalty standpoint by still being relatively a unique product. I think in general the decision to purchase a Prius, Plug-In, or Hybrid in general is likely to be a more thought out decision than perhaps the impulse buy of "any" new vehicle.

And I think if you've purchased a Hybrid, you're likely to be happy with it for the 1st 3 years at least.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In our case:
    • First Prius - seven years and counting with over 55 MPG on the trip meter at lunch time for just today's commute and lunch. About to head to the grocery store and home.
    • Second Prius - three and a half years and counting with 33,000 miles and it is bigger, nicer and tows a larger trailer. We're getting similar mileage at a faster speed.
    So we're looking at 10.5 years of Prius happy. Anyone else still Prius happy?

Bob Wilson

ps. You don't suppose folks who hang at PriusChat might be Prius happy?

WE0H likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My comment does not disagree with your perspective- "first 3 years AT LEAST" .

And yes, I obviously default to the reality that Prius Chat would be an environment in which the the majority are happy with Prius.

I might be somewhat in the minority in that I consider the 1st 3 years of ownership of any vehicle as pretty much being the state of owning a "new" vehicle. I think the warranty has to expire, and a few major styling changes have to happen before I even consider I'm not "still" driving a new vehicle.

Then I often change gears in self delusional self -defense and tell myself I'm now driving a "classic".

Hey, don't tell me my 1992 Honda Accord was just a beater....even though it blue-booked at a best value of less than $2000 when I traded it in....that baby was mint...and beautiful.

My overall point being, Prius or otherwise, I think initial, even 3 year customer satisfaction surveys can be pretty valueless, because I think most people WANT to like what they own or have purchased.

I do think if a vehicle is a lemon, or has a significant number of drawbacks, low scores will reveal that.

10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, and perhaps that also applies with every type of car for a good percentage of the subscribers to Consumer Reports who took the trouble to answer the survey (about 350,000 of them). You'd think that many of them would have done more research than the average buyer.

However, you also have to look at the other end of the numbers - the buyers are still in the happy flush of the first three years like everyone else, but in the category where the Volt got 92% and the Prius c 87%, the Nissan Versa Sedan was at only 49% (the worst of all). The percentages at the bottom of other categories ranged from the 50s into the low 60s, so there are quite a few unhappy drivers who aren't afraid to admit it.

I'm not a statistician, but it seems like the survey sample is large enough to be reasonably valid - 350,000 vehicles with 240 models is an average of about 1450 responses per model (obviously some will be much higher or lower). It would be interesting to see the raw data.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The raw data would be interesting.
    Is the survey question just a generic 'are you happy with it?', is it broken into multiple questions?

If a car got a low score because of some common, but optional, feature, but people were otherwise happy with it, that would be more informative.

Simply put, the why they weren't happy is more important than how many for current shoppers.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It's as simple as this:

"Considering all factors (price, performance, reliability, comfort, enjoyment, etc.) would you get the same vehicle again?"

I suppose this encourages a bigger response and avoids the need to quantify various degrees of satisfaction.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No Bob, this a completely unbiased group of car owners.:D

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Aren't all of our women strong, the men handsome, and our children above average too?

Bob 'Woebegone' Wilson

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You must be speaking of Prius owners families.:D

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cognitive dissidence and self selection bias will over inflate the numbers. Small things that really piss people off like being unable to work the head unit will bias against new technology.

Still when you get very high numbers such as you get for the prius and volt there is something real going in as per user satisfaction.

18. acdii

acdii Active Member

This is what put the Fusion, and a few other Fords into a negative light. The MyFord touch is a PITA to use, over complicated, and some of what was promised is not included yet. Overall, very good car, very reliable, but this one item drops its value to others.

I haven't driven a GenIII, but did have a GenII, and for a country guy like me, it was not the right car. The TCH was a bit better, but it had quality issues, which really surprised me given how everyone raves about them, so been with Ford now for 3 years, and no complaints about any of them, except for a couple stupid marketing things that Ford totally screwed up on.

Like someone else said, take it with a grain of salt, there is a lot of bias when it comes to cars, some are so enamored with Toyota, they have no clue that other brands are just as good, if not better in some cases. Others are open minded and will give others a try, some go back, some are converted.

austingreen likes this.