1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continental Eco Plus lifespan update/ review

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ajbdiaz, Oct 18, 2012.

1. ajbdiaz

ajbdiaz youtube.com/wyldeslash2003

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey Ya'll, Just wanna share my experience with The "Continental ProContact with EcoPlus Technology."

I got them December, 2010, and they lasted to this month, October, 2012 (2 years old). The front tires are at just above 2/32 and I only put 35k miles on them and they had a warranty of about 80K/6 years. So I’m unhappy about that.

I never saw an improvement in mpg, which was generally +or- 48mpg. I had around 50mpg in the original integrities. So I’m unhappy about that.

The noise was definitely better than the original Goodyear Integrities, but my girlfriend’s Bridgestone Ecopias are drastically smoother and quieter than the Ecoplus’s, so I’m unhappy about that.

I’m using the warranty towards a discount on some Ecopias, saving about $100. This is the only thing I’m happy about.

Hopefully, the Ecopias give me a better overall experience.

So all in all, The Continental Ecoplus is ok to choose, but it didn’t deliver in my case. I say don’t go out of your way to get ‘em.

fsu23phd likes this.
  2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious about your driving conditions and driving style. Generally when tires wear quickly it is due to aggressive driving and or rough roads.

The ProContact was never meant to improve fuel economy over the OE tire. It was meant to perform better, increase safety and last longer. It is disappointing it didn't deliver on the last part. :(

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tire pressure has a big effect on wear. What was your tp?

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there AJB I also went with two of the Continentals Eco-Plus on the front.
    They are new. But I have read other negative reviews about tire life, I think it was over on the Continental website and maybe specifically some Prius owners too. If that's not the right website I will try to remember where it was. In my case I was matching my Goodyear Assurance ComforTreads which lasted almost 60k without rotating, so my front tires were needing replacement, rear tires were still OK. Like the Comfortreads, the Ecoplus have quietness and are rated excellent for wet/dry etc. Neither the Ecoplus nor the Comfortreads are considered best for MPG, more average and similar to the OEM Integrities which are decent MPG tires (LRR). If you go with the best tires for MPG, usually sacrificing some quietness and some wet/dry handling. I agree the Bridgestones have emerged as a very good choice; sounds like EcoPlus is a shorter-life Confortread lookalike. I went with them as a "bridge" to my next complete 4 tires change and they were the best price I could get on 2 tires. So they are a lower cost but good handling tire.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...yes two Prius owners on Continental site slamming tread life (one in Pittsburgh one in CO).
    Does not seem to be exactly what I remembered unless they removed a lot of reviews, I recall a site with many reviews.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've heard from one other person who was disappointed with the tread wear but I chalk it up to normal complaints heard about many tires that are "supposed" to last a long time. However, 30k is really really short which is why I asked about terrain and driving style. I used to wear my tires down really fast while canyon carving. Once I started hypermiling my tires started wear very slowly. I'm still driving the same roads.

7. ajbdiaz

ajbdiaz youtube.com/wyldeslash2003

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I live in Ventura County, CA which is just normal street and highway in an average of 65 degree weather the majority of the year. I drive the car somewhat regularly on long trips, but its mostly just to work. Now that it was mentioned, my back tire were in better condition than the front . Front was 2/32 and rear was 3 or 4/32. I've experimented with different pressures. I used to fill to 42/40 but I've been at 35/33 for a few months to maximize ride comfort. I didn't see any mpg changes either way. I usually use cruise control on highway and i will hypermile 80% of the time as long as I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the comments!

F8L likes this.
  8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That really should come as no surprise. I generally observe only half the wear (sometimes even less) on the rears. To be honest, I'm surprised that they even accepted a warranty claim given that they were never rotated.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Believe the Continentals have to be rotated at 8000 miles to qualify for warranty.
    I think the OP might have rotated however...

10. mikesarebetter

mikesarebetter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also have to complain a bit about the tires and their "lifespan". I have right at 30k miles on them and just had them rotated again a few days ago. tread depth was between 3 and 4/32

The tires themselves are great in my opinion. They handle the snow I've seen so far and they do great on the rutted out parts of the interstate that get filled with water. But, I also log a lot of miles so I'm no stranger to inclement weather driving, so some of it could be me and not the tires. All my miles are Interstate driving with speeds ranging from 73 to 78. Tire pressure at 42/40

I bought the tires through an authorized Continental dealer and have proof of all tire rotations. So my next post about these tires will probably be on how they handled the warranty claim...

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am happy to hear that they are good gripping tires in snow, so I am ready for it unless global warming comes again this year. Just the tread life is shorter than stated. I see they have the "Pure" Contact so maybe that is better life. I have the new eco-Plus up front and the 60K plus miles GY ComforTread on rear with good tread still. I see CR gives ComforTread 5 stars for tread life, I would agree.

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ComforTread is decent for fuel economy too. They better be because they are very expensive!

13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes ComforTred now seems expensive, but when I first put them on 70K miles ago it was better price I think.
    In general Gen2 Prius not too bad for tire prices it seems.

14. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aye, in the 15" size they are not too pricey. There is a persistent $80 rebate available too.