1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continental ProContact with EcoPlus

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mikesarebetter, Mar 27, 2012.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I doubt the EP422s are much better than the EcoPlus in terms of MPG. Since we have never seen any real testing of these tires it is hard to say but there was only a 2mpg difference between the EP100 and the worst of the LRR tires in the Round and Black report.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've been really happy with my EP100's. My fuel consumption has dropped from 4.3L per 100km on my previous tires down to 4.1 and even 4.0 L per 100km on new EP100's. That's somewhere about 2.5 to 3 MPG that I've picked up, and the tires still only have a few 1000 kms on them. :D

BTW. The previous tires were a near bald set of Hankook K415's. A bit of an unknown as no one else here is using them, but they were supposed to be a reasonably LRR tire which I think are comparable with the OEMs. Anyway, I can't complain as I consistently got 55MPG with those tires.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I filled up the tank this past weekend and have a bit over 1000 miles on the ProContact w/EcoPlus at this point. I'm about 120 miles into this new tank on my usual commute and errands driving pattern and am seeing about 65MPG. While that sounds pretty good, the weather has been pretty warm and I'm definately noticing it's a bit of a struggle to get the kinds of numbers I'm capable of. For instance, on a nice night on the way to work there is very little traffic and I can often get 70-72mpg on that sort of run, but with the new tires, so far, getting 66 is about the best I can do.

Clearly even those numbers I can live with and I suspect they'll continue to improve as the tires get some more miles on them.

On the very positive side, We had several days of pretty heavy rain last week and I noticed absolutely no slipping when taking off from a stop on some steepish entry areas that usualy I really have to baby the car with the Integrities. The tires feel grippy and confident.

1 person likes this.
  4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tank filled at ~485 miles. Prior to embarking on a 85 mile drive on the interestate I was getting right at 64MPG for my usual commute.

I drove the last bit of the tank at 75mph (cruise control almost the entire way) on the interstate then a bit of mixed short trip in town driving and filled the tank showing 58MPG.

On the post-fill drive home (same 75mph, 85 mile interstate) but with BRUTAL cross-winds the entire way I got right at 40mpg.

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So what you're saying is? :)

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm saying I still see a mild MPG hit from the Integrities, but cerrtainly nothing earth shattering. I think they'll continue to improve over the next 1-2000 miles.

7. mikesarebetter

mikesarebetter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well still no real increase in mpg for me. but i do still love the tires. these last few days had a lot of rain and there are some ruts on the interstate that like to collect it. not once did i feel uncomfortable. i've got about 3500 miles on them so far.

8. 6lark5

6lark5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got mine installed last week. So much better then the Primewells the previous owner had put on. Quiet, grippy and with a pleasant ride. I've got mine at 42/40.

My mileage will improve once the tires wear a little. My old tires were nearly bald. Slippery when wet. :)

Its so nice not to have constant noise coming from the tires. It makes a quiet car even quieter.

9. 4rnr

4rnr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone have any updated mpg data to share?

These came on my new used 2005

10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just put two on my front a couple weeks ago.
    Too soon to tell, but I think MPG is similar to GY Integrity (OEM) and GY Assurance ComforTread, which have been my other tires. These are good handling performance and quiet tires, LRR but not the top tier for highest MPG.

11. Durwin

Durwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I plan to buy EcoPlus tires. My mpg average use to be 44 untill I slowed down to 65 mph. Now average is 50 mpg. Also less stress. This was on the stock tires. Will let you know how well the new tires work.

Banksy likes this.
  12. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did you ever put 1500 miles on these or did you stop driving the Prius when you got a Tesla? :)

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, the Prius doesn't seem much road time, but I do have a few thousand on those tires.

14. Gnarly

Gnarly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There's so many Conti ProContact tires and I've been looking specifically for the EcoPlus series but I can't find it. Did they rebrand this series? I choose my '11 Prius and the size tires I need and the list does not have that EcoPlus but it does have Conti ProContact EcoFocus for $111.00 +/-?
    Is that the one?

15. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Wait...WHAT?