1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant leak from transmission

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by srjacob, Oct 31, 2014.

1. srjacob

srjacob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a coolant leak that appears on the outside of the transmission. The Toyota dealer tells me it is an O ring between the transmission and the engine, and this part is not individually replaceable. The dealer says there is a lot of rust in the transmission, which is what caused the problem, and they want $1800 to replace the transmission with a used (125K miles) one.

The Prius is a 2004 model with 100K miles on it.

This whole thing sounds fishy to me. Is this problem real and I have to replace the entire transmission because of an O ring? I don't know if the car is worth this much to fix.

Any suggestions?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it works, why fix it? Why not wait until it fails completely and then spend the $1800?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you noticed any coolant reservoirs going down?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Do you see rust in the inverter coolant reservoir?
    2. What is the magnitude of the leak?
    3. What would happen if you just periodically refill the inverter coolant reservoir?
    4. Can you post photos of the leak area, one which shows perspective and another zoomed in close?
    5. Coolant is not exchanged between the engine and transaxle, so the problem is not an O-ring leak.