1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant Service Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yes.ittransforms, Sep 3, 2014.

1. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all,

i am getting my water pump and all coolant flushed/changed Friday, mechanic asked me if I want the Thermostat changed as well. he mentioned that it is located in a hard to reach area and would be extra. I have no intention of changing the thermostat, but the process of a flush says to remove the t-stat, to allow coolant to flow. Can a true flush be done with the t-stat in place? also how many quarts should i expect them to place in my car if they drain and fill it properly? I was quoted a good price and want to make sure I do not pay for a flush, that can not be done. Also if he puts fresh water in the top of the radiator, and removes the upper radiator hose and runs the fresh water until it comes out clear, does that fush both ICE and inverter/trans cooling systems (t-stat question permitting of course)? I know it is allot of questions but I want to make sure I am not made a fool come Friday.

Thank You all,
    Jonathan

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much extra to replace the thermo?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. I don't think it's necessary to change the thermostat unless there's a problem or you are already at over 150k miles.
    2. The system doesn't need to be "flushed", just drain and fill. Make sure he uses Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink stuff). If you flush the system with water, the water will be stuck in there and dilute the Super Long Life Coolant (already a premixed formula, shouldn't add water)
    3. You will maybe need a total of 2 - 3 gallons of coolant if you are doing the entire Engine and Inverter coolant loops.

It's very important to get all the air out of the system when doing the coolant changes, especially in the Las Vegas heat.

valde3 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think "flushes", where you continuously run water through, our going out of fashion. For a couple of reasons:

1. It complicates recycling of the used coolant. Unless it's just dumped down a sanitary or storm sewer, which isn't good.
    2. the water lingers in the lines and dilutes the already premixed new coolant, which is bad news.

(JC91006 has pretty much addressed all of this, just to chime in.)

Also, I'm thinking along same lines as bisco, I think. Thermostats have rubber that can fray, and they're open/close points can go off. Cheap insurance to change it while they're in there.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    20 bucks on ebay.

6. yes.ittransforms

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see better now. I will be more informed now on friday. Where in the engine is the thermostat anyway.. I checked my repair manual and it doesn't mention its exact location.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  8. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lets not forget likely flushed with municipal tap water (lots of minerals). I don't know of any shop that uses distilled water when flushing the cooling system.

9. Paul Schenck

Paul Schenck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't do it. I'm at 350,000+ same coolant I had at 150,000 same t-stat too. Do it when u replace the hoses.

iPhone ?

10. yes.ittransforms

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey everyone. got the coolants changed, and the water pump replaced (what started all this) and I am very happy with the result. Thank you all for your invaluable inputs.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No the ICE coolant system is not connected to the Inverter cooling system. They do share the radiator in separate tanks though. I highly recommend you have the Inverter coolant changed also. The car is very easy on the ICE coolant but rather hard on the Inverter coolant.
    Take care of the Inverter its the most important and hardest working part in the car. Inverter coolant change is very easy unlike the ICE.

Btw keep a close eye on the ICE coolant level for a few days as it will settle and may require topping off. Its almost impossible to get all the air out when it is bled. Do this by checking it at the radiator cap itself when the motor is cool by taking off the top black plastic rad cover.
    The overflow tank may give you false reading of capacity till all the air in the system has evaporated. Use your heater too for a bit as that will
    completely circulate the coolant.

12. Cadenza

Cadenza Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read this many times that Inverter coolant is worked harder than the ICE's.

Anyone know the normal operating temps for the ICE coolant -vs- Inverter coolant???

#12 Cadenza, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  13. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I found the thermostat to be THE most annoying part to reach of all the maintenance I have performed on the G2 Prius, but Pat Wong seemed to manage the job without much drama. So the question is, are you more like me, or Pat ?

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

My study showed on my car about 100-110 degree's for Inverter and about 190 for ICE.
    But has major heat soak issue since there in the same rad only different compartments. Minute you shut the car off the Inverter coolant spikes about 20-30 higher. Quite fast.

But the temperature is not whats so hard on the Inverter coolant its the metal the coolant see's. It's pure aluminum in the heat sink cross section and the trans cooling section. Huge cross section on the Invert heatsink.
    Very corrosive and hard on the fluid. And in turn hard on the pump. Changing the inverter coolant is very very easy and it will extend Inverter and Inverter pump life. I try to do it every 30K miles. Major difference in bottle turbulence with new fluid compared to old.

Just like changing the ICE coolant will help extend the water pump also. ICE is a real pain though. Did a change once never again. I just dump the rad every year or so. No airlock.

15. Cadenza

Cadenza Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks!!!