1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooper Zeon RS3-A on 215/45R17, Great tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by movingforward, Jan 30, 2012.

1. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just wondering if anybody here running these tires on their GEN3 as the title states? They look like really good tires but I'm having a hard time finding reviews for them from real owners. Consumers Report rate them very high for UHP all seasons. Your feedback is much appreciated.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why would you want them when there are LRR tires available? Are you looking to race the car? IMO the Prius doesn't need an ultra high performance tire unless you have some serious suspension modification but the high tread wear ratings on this tire makes me wonder about the ultra high performance rating.

They likely perform well but it's up to you. If you want to be a guinea pig then go for it but please give us a review. :)

3. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CR rated these tires to be LRR but I don't think they got the LRR designation...at least I can't find it on Cooper's website. I don't think these are really true UHP, no all season's tire is truly UHP, IMO. I'm looking for a well rounded tire with as little compromise as possible and according to CR this tire has better UTQG rating than the much celebrated Continental Extreme Contract DWS for the gen3 Prii.

I have the DWS before and it was a great set tires but this Cooper Zeon seems to be as good as the Continental DWS but better in handling and durability. One minor gripe I had with the DWS was the side wall flex quite abit even under "normal" turns and it squeals.

Here's a review by WindingRoad on the Cooper Zeon:
    Winding Road | Tire Tech: Cooper Zeon RS3-S and RS3-A

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like to promote tires just because I have them but the MXM4 rates very high. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

I don't think it is very high on the LRR list but they perform well and have a decent tread wear rating. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 is also now available in a 215/45/17 as well and is likely the best in this size for LRR aside from the EP100.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to read it. :)

5. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Michelin MXM4 are great tires but they tend to be expensive side $130+ ea. I find that Bridgestone tires tend to be "harder" and too firm (for lower profile tires), therefore under wet road conditions I think my MPG will increase and the tendency to hydroplane *may* be greater, hence why I like the DWS. But these Cooper Zeon sounds promising. I am close on giving it a try since no one has step up so far that runs the Prii on 17" wheels yet...

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you do please report back. Who knows, they may be pretty good. :)

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do let us know if the Cooper Zeon has the raised rim protector in the 215/45R17 size.

8. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whether or not it has a rim protector is strongly size-dependent within a brand and varies between manufacturers. You can't rely on a sample picture (which appears to show 235/50R or something) to check whether it has one.

10. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Crap...so nobody else want to take the plunge with me on this? My 2 biggest concerns for these tires are 1. it's made in China (reputation issue, and I prefer to buy local) and 2. is consumer's report on LRR accurate (CR rate the Zeon's rolling resistance to be the best in the UHP AS class).

Looks like I'll have to take one for the team and suffer the consequence of lower MPG if it's not what it's cracked up to be.

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Most of us will stick to known LRR tires and someone like me would only consider it if it has the raised rim protector.

12. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Those in the south should never go for anything less than LRR designated tires. I wish I live in your climate but not with your state's budget situation. Those of us that have to fight the slush and snow for 3-4 months have to find a decent compromise for our Prii and the DWS was a 8/10, I'm just looking for a tire that will give me 9/10 overall...if there's such a thing

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The above is totally correct. My Primacy MXM4 tires only have rim protection on specific sizes. If you look at pictures of my tire they do not have an obvious rim protector but my tire does have an effective rim protector despite it not being listed as such.

It doesn't look like the typical rim protector but it would serve the same purpose.
    [​IMG]

14. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That's the same raised rim protector found on all the OEM 215/45R-17s.

15. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So I got the tires. The bad: they do NOT have the raised rim protector (I assume to prevent curb rash?) for the 215-45R17 size.

The good: they are LRR, there was very little loss or loss in mpg. I loss about 3mpg going from 15 to 17" wheel size so that's well within the average of what most Gen3 owners are reporting. The tires are quiet up to around the 70mph speed, side walls are firmer than Continental Extreme contact DWS, grips really well on wet road, so it seems like it's pretty good so far...knock on wood.

1 person likes this.
  16. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just read reviews on them through Motor Trend and Auto Week, as well as user reviews on Tread Depot. I think I'll check them out as well, can't go wrong for the price if they are a decent product. I'm going to upgrade from the 15 to a 17 x 7 and a 205/50/17 to try to minimize the mpg hit and keep the speedo accurate.

17. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had them for 1 year now, in dry and wet condition they are great, grips really well, very quite and only have to rotate them once so far after 20,000kms. They are what it's cracked up to be on the performance and durability side. 5MPG efficiency loss but that may also be due to my 17" 215/45 mess wheels with no wheel covers and it's 5lbs/wheel heavier than the OEM 15" wheels. Overall, I am happy, great value. CR's report is credible once again.

The bad: this tire cannot handle driving in sticky snow condition. The electronic stability control keeps on triggering and you need "alot" of space for stopping distance when the roads are covered with snow.

18. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the insight. I figured snow traction wouldn't be as good as Cooper says but then anything has to be better in snow than my oem Yokohamas!
    I have no extra storage so cannot keep separate snow tires. A decent A/S is imperative as I have an excruciatingly long commute, but I like to add a little fun. If you had to choose again, would you take the Coopers or the Conti DWS?

19. movingforward

movingforward Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That's a tough call, both are great A/S tires, I would choose the Coopers for fun/handling and durability, Conti DWS for snow because the rubber is "softer". I was in the same situation as you, didn't have storage space so wanted well rounded rubbers and these fit the bill. But it looks like I'll have to go back to winter tires again next season, my ESC keeps kicking in.