1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

cost of a new 12v starter battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mountaintodd, May 8, 2011.

1. mountaintodd

mountaintodd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have an 07 Prius with 101,000 miles on it and from what I've read it's about time to have to replace the 12v. starter battery. Again, from what I've read these batteries typically last four to five years.

When we first bought the Prius in March I checked into these 12v starter batteries at my local dealer and they were about $135 (about what others I've read have paid). So, after saving up the money to get a new battery and a few other tune up parts, my dealership now tells me that the price for the battery is $260!! :eek: Just curious to know what others have paid for this 12v starter battery recently?

My dealership assured me that they don't price gouge and all the other parts I bought were what I expected (thanks to PriusChat). Needless to say, I told the parts guy that I wanted to check into this 100% price increase with my friends at PriusChat.

Thanks!:)

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $260 had better include installation. You may also want to question how long the battery has been sitting on the shelf prior to install.

- D

3. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought one and they wanted 190 i believe. I saw on here people paid 139.99 MSRP, so i said the other toyota dealeship across town quoted me that much (139.99). He instantly matched the price without hesitation.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...us-12-volt-auxiliary-battery-installer-6.html has some other prices.

If $260 is w/o installation, run away and go somewhere or buy the Optima D51 from elearnaid instead. $260 w/install isn't a great deal either, IMHO.

BTW, "starter battery" is a misnomer. The Prius has no starter and the ICE isn't started by the 12 volt.

5. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The $260 I was told was from the parts counter, without installation. I like to do the things I can do myself. They said that it was a sudden increase from the $139 I was quoted just a few months ago, and that they were surprised themselves.

I'm glad I asked! What have others experienced?

Thanks!

6. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I paid $152 from the parts counter, no core charge.

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Read this thread of mine:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...92860-new-12v-battery-part-28800-21171-a.html

The new part # that ends in 71 initially had a MSRP of nearly $300. However, it has recently been reduced to ~$160. I communicated this to my parts manager, who researched the issue, and later sold me the part for the wholesale cost of $138.

I would ask your parts department to check and see if there has been a price reduction on the battery that they are selling you.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you can't get a reasonable price for it, go w/the Optima. I went with w/the Optima on the hopes that it really is a superior battery and knowing I wouldn't save money (back when I got it) over the OEM one.

9. mountaintodd

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the link and info.! Sometimes my searches don't work for me. I think if I go back to my dealership with this info., I should be able to get a better price. If not, I'll go with the Optima battery.

Does anybody know how much the Optima battery is, and a part number?

Thanks!

10. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Optima D51. It is easiest to buy the kit from elearnaid.com, but you could also buy it on Amazon and piece together the necessary terminal adapters.

I just looked up the new part number at an online parts counter. It's shocking: msrp $284, wholesale $221.

Attached Files:

11. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There was a price reduction. Many dealers and online catalogs have not updated their price.

12. rickovitz

rickovitz New Member

I'm about to pay about $125 at ez lube. i went to pick up my car after an 85,000 mile routine oil change and it was totally dead! nasty when the doors don't open.
    they have to into the back seat, fet some power and then unlock the car.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pls take a photo and post (after you've posted 5 times) so we can see what kind of 12V battery EZ Lube will install.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I suspect it won't be a proper AGM battery and will be a flooded acid one instead.

15. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +!

They will probably realize that the quoted price was way too low since no aftermarket batteries exist.