1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of an Oil Change when you bring your own oil and filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GasSippr, Feb 6, 2012.

1. GasSippr

GasSippr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I've read a lot of stories about overfilling of oil when someone else does the oil change. My question is if I bring my own oil (3-3.5 quarts) and filter to my mechanic what would be reasonable price for them to charge?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $20. But ask him how much more to check the trans fluid level while he's there. If he's a professional mechanic it will be up on a lift which is then a breeze to check. You just unbolt a big bolt up on the top side of the cv case. Stick your finger in the hole and should be fluid right to the top the top of the hole. Ask him how it looks on a paper towel. Then while your rapping give him a $10 tip upfront and ask him to to check under the front for any issues...leaks...condition of cv boots.
    He'll remember the tip next time.

But if you have more than 50,000 miles on the car the trans fluid needs to be changed anyway.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have paid as little as $10 at a Nissan dealer. Personally I think $25 is reasonable.

There's no reason to check the fluid level if there is not a leak. Anytime you open the fill plug you will also need a new $2 washer.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's every reason in the world to check the OP's trans fluid.
    Its probably never been checked.
    It could have been low from the factory. Mine at 5K miles (first change) )was so low below the hole I could not get my pinky wet.
    Who knows how many miles on the car and how it was driven. The fluid might be toast and a competent mechanic can tell that at a glance.
    In fact its probably way overdue for a change.
    And on and on.

Not to even check the trans fluid on a 5 year old car (especially this car)
    is ridiculous.

And you don't need a washer every time you take the plug out. Mine's been out twice and its fine. Same with the original washer on the oil pan bolt.

5. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've had my oil changed every 5000 miles at my Toyota dealer since it was new. (2005 W/100k miles.) I provide my own oil (mobil1), dealer provide filter, etc. performs inspection and car wash. Cost is $18 to $20.

6. ataylorracing

ataylorracing ataylorracing

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Kahlo Chrysler N of Indy has a ongoing special of ONLY $60 + tax for a package of 4 oil changes...with filters, oil, and totally visual checking your fluid levels, brakes, tires, etc. The 4 have a 1 year period and they do not demand you get it fixed there. They offer this for any car that has your normal capacity and uses dino oil. If you bring in your own oil and filter they still do all the work mentioned and charge $12 only! I used to have a sponsor on my race/street cars that did all my changes for free...even synthetics, but he's gone now.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I used to supply the oil quite a bit (becuase I could not get the darn lug off) and its $15-20 or free Toyota shop was free for the first 3 fills. I'll say 3.0 quarts is all I ever need. Give them 3 and fill up slightly more at home if needed. I aways save some empty Mobil-1 quarts in case I want to give them 3 qts out of a 5 qt bottle.

>>Price checked at Walmart tonite Mobil-1 five(5) Quarts $26.48 !!! except some viscosities were a few more bucks. Also it is Mobil-1 5qt bottle especially made for Walmart, and the idea is you put your used oil back in the bottle and take it back to Walmart. That is quite nice cradle-to-grave idea!

However, did you ever notice the landfill (stack) of used 12v batteries in the front of some Walmarts (like mine)? Does not look too safe.