1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cost of Brake Replacement (Pads, Rotors, Calipers) for Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HAC, Sep 17, 2013.

1. HAC

HAC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

I have had my 2010 Prius since January 2013 when I purchased it used from a family member. It had 63,226 km on it at the time of purchase. I am now at 74,500 km and took my Prius in for a routine service appt at a dealership and to fix the brake booster pump recall.

I was told that my front brakes are at 30% and my rear brakes are at 5%, and that my front and rear rotors, front and rear pads, and rear driver side caliper all needed to be replaced.

I was quoted the following from the dealership:
    $198.00 - Front Pads
    $320.00 - Front Rotors
    $198.00 - Rear Pads
    $320.00 - Rear Rotors
    $739.00 - Rear Driver Side Caliper

This seemed very expensive. I am hoping to find a local garage to do this at a reduced price, and am looking for any others who have also had to replace these parts - what was the ballpark cost for your repair?

In addition, had any other users had to replace the brakes by as early as 74,500? I have read some reviews and it seems awfully early to require these parts.

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try a second dealership if you can.

If all those parts are in fact needed, it would seem to indicate a long period of neglect, small problems becoming big...

It's a little suprising, to be needing new rotors all around, and a new caliper. Again, see if you can get a second dealership to look at it. If they recommend similar course of action, at least you know.

I had a recent conversation via email with our nearby dealership's service manager. Here's his opinion on Prius/Brakes:

Prius brake service recommendation - from a Toyota service manager | PriusChat

3. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I just got my quote from the Toronto dealer. Looks like they are close to what you got.
    A) Replace front and rear brake pads with shims. $425
    B) Replace rear brake rotors. $297
    C) Machine front rotors. $185

Your profile does not indicate your location so you can use the above as your reference if you are in Canada.

4. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The brake parts you list above can be purchased from Advance Auto and Rock Auto in the U.S. for about $375.00 plus tax and shipping. There are independent shops here that replace Prius brakes. My guestimate is that you could get that job (parts and labor) done here for $750 to $800. It is questionable whether all the above parts need to be replaced.

5. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems ridiculous that these parts need replacing @ that mileage/er distance. Where do you live? As mendel suggested, get a second opinion.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any competent mechanic can do this work. i agree on a second an even a third opinion. there are a few reports of early brake work, but it is unusual. all the best!(y)

7. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are a couple threads on this forum regarding the rear pads seizing up in the brackets, and causing them to wear out prematurely (and irregularly). I suspect that this is the reason why your rear brakes are needing to be replaced so soon. The salty roads in Canada are a major contributor to this issue.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As suggested above get a couple of other estimates, what you have been quoted may be too high. I agree with Spiderman your mileage is pretty low for all those parts to need replacement. Most Prius owners seem to be getting well over 100K on brakes with no problems, of course most of us, thankfully, don't live where they use salt on the roads.

9. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^Most G3 Prius owners have not yet reached the 100,000 mile mark so it is too early to say "Most [G3] Prius owners seem to be getting well over 100K on brakes with no problems". Also the G2 Prius, which typically does go more than 100K with no brake problems, has rear drum brakes. The G3 has rear disk brakes for which we are beginning to see incidents of premature wear and failure. More time and miles are needed on the G3 population to draw definitive conclusions.

10. Walk_the_walk

Walk_the_walk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We just got back from the dealership (which is a posting unto itself - stay tuned) and our 2007 Prius with 92, 445 miles on it, we still dont need new brakes... or rotors... I agree. Sounds suspicious.

retired4999 likes this.
  11. zander

zander Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't buy these parts from Advanced Auto or Auto Zone. Buy OEM parts and due the work your self

12. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Who has the best price on OEM brake parts?

13. vito.a

vito.a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Google "OEM Toyota parts" or "Genuine Toyota Parts"and start down through the list. My dealer quoted me $252 for a Gen III key fob. I found it at a an online Toyota dealer for much cheaper.

An interesting side note is the online dealer is only 50 miles away, so I called them and they said this price was only good for online purchases. I was able to purchase it online and then drive down there and pick it up.

Also, dealers have the highest overhead of any automotive repair business. Therefore, their labor rates are also the highest. I would shop around for the best labor rate in your area.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My goodness how embarrassing, I thought people would realize that I wasn't referring to those of us who have not reached 100K miles yet. :)

15. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not meant to embarrass, just a warning to G3 owners that it is early in the life of the G3 cars; and, it is becoming increasingly apparent that the G3 rear disk brakes will not tolerate service neglect as well as the G2 drum brakes. The good news is that the G3 rear disk brakes stop better and should last a long time, as long as the brake hardware is cleaned and lubricated every 30,000 miles or so, according to what I observed when I serviced mine.

16. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Apparently G3 brakes are a lot less wear proof than G2. My front pads had worn out at 60,000 miles, and I use regen braking almost exclusively.... no better then any other non hybrid to my mind.....

17. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That price seems very high.

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Without knowing where the OP is, you can't guess how much a $ is worth.

19. alaskaraven

alaskaraven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just took my 2010 prius in for the brake accumulator recall. I noticed a squeek when I went to pick it up and the service person said it was probably a rock in the brake. they took the car back in and told me that my driver side rear brake callipers and rotor were in need of replacemnt. I thought it was odd that only one side was bad. of course they need to do the work on both sides. My driver side rotor was rusted and it was gouged. In my research I have found that if the brake accumultor fractures, it will leak nitrogen gas in to your brake fluid causing RUST. I do not think i should have to pay for this. My car has 53000 miles.

20. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I'm at 200,000 kms (124,000 miles) and brakes are about 60% worn. No rear brake problems.