1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Costco Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dplatnyc, Oct 28, 2010.

1. dplatnyc

dplatnyc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone bought snow tires at Costco? Michelin Ice X2 are $116. I see that if you buy the installation package you get lifetime rotation and balancing and was wondering how this works when you want to go back to the regular tires--I assume they don't do that switch for free.

2. geeter

geeter Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think they switch for 5 bucks a tire or something, but it is a one time fee. There is going to be a Bridgestone rebate coming up in November at Costco, with 70 off a set. Blizzaks should be OTD at around 400 bucks.

3. A_Man

A_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the Michelins installed at Costco (in Canada) this weekend. Rotations are free, but for switching tires (assuming you bought new rims, and don't actually need to remount tires on the alloy rims each season), they will charge $6 per tire, and that will include balancing and topping off with nitrogen if required. The service should probably be the same in the US, though the price may differ a bit

4. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here's what doesn't make sense -- and, keep in mind, I'm sure this is what CostCo told you, but what they're saying doesn't add up.

Assuming you have snow tires mounted on separate rims, they're going to charge you CDN$24 to swap out the snow tires with the summer tires, but rotations are free? During a rotation, four tires are removed and four tires are installed, right? Why would they charge you $24 in order to bolt on four different tires?

Now, if they were going to charge you $24 for mounting/balancing four tires at each seasonal change, that would be a good deal!

5. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bet you can get rims and tires for just a little more online. Tirerack is the best.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We just got Bridgestone Ecopia EP20 at Costco, basically replacing our OEM's. In Canada they were having a $70 off on set of 4 promotion, and their price was good to begin with. Their work was good, they didn't damage our rims, nice hidden weights. I kept it simple by removing our center caps before going in. Also retained the old valve stem caps, don't like their green ones.

They put 32psi of nitrogren in, we drove off and put a further 8psi of regular air in at our favourite gas station ;)

I think their road hazard warranty could come in handy, but I don't get too excited about tire rotations: I put my own snow tires on/off, have floor jack etc.