1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

CR and UN says diesels no longer Europe's pollution problem

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Troy Heagy, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    "A report issued by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe says 83% of particulate matters emissions PM 2.5 and PM10 in European Union countries and 97% in the U.S. and Canada is generated by other economic activity, mainly the commercial, institutional and household sectors."

UN Panel Gives Diesels Mostly Clean Bill of Health | Politics content from WardsAuto
    U.N. Study Concludes Diesel Particulates Low, And Declining In Europe & U.S.

austingreen likes this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Guess they missed that diesel pickup that 'smoked' rush hour traffic a couple of weeks ago. Still they are less bad than a decade ago. I can't say that for some service trucks running around but they may just old.

Bob Wilson

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Guess they missed that diesel pickup that 'smoked' rush hour traffic a couple of weeks ago. Still they are less bad than a decade ago. I can't say that for some service trucks running around but they may just old.

Bob Wilson

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That pickup may have also been old. DPFs weren't required in the US until 2007 models. So that truck had to be a 2006 at the youngest. The smokers that stand out around here are older. If only those engines weren't so darn gone long lived, we could clean up the diesel fleet sooner.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...it used to be pretty bad over there...I had a friend in Vienna said his living room draperies would accumulate soot. But that was a long time ago I guess it could certainly be improved by now

6. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No idea what you're talking about. What truck? Was this European-wide news such that the UN should have been aware of it?

7. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What? What?? What???

Aren't you following the news about the UN takeover of America and the black helicopters? Don't forget the 'weather weapons' being used against us!
    1. Chemtrails - those white toxins released by jet aircraft flying overhead
    2. Martial Law - the secret detention of right thinking people in FEMA camps
    3. Foreign Troops on U.S. Soil - ever have a cop you couldn't quite understand?
    4. Door-to-Door Gun Confiscations - they may look like girl scouts but they are really planning how to assault your home
    5. 9/11 was staged by GW Bush just like Oklahoma City was done by Hillary Clinton
    6. Abortion is UN population control
    7. HAARP - if you don't know it . . . sheeple!
    8. Federal Reserve and the Mason conspiracy . . . where that 'eye' on the dollar bill comes from
    9. NAFTA - the giant sucking sound of your job
    Source:
    Top 10 Right-Wing Conspiracy Theories | Alternet

Of course I'm just teasing but in reality there is an attitude problem too often found and documented in diesel advocate Utube and articles. Sad because there are good things about diesels and many of the worst problems have been mitigated in some of the models. But in this case, it is not "UN" but basic engineering facts and data in play.

As many other have pointed out, "clean diesel" is relative to "old diesel." It is still off by a factor of 2-3 from Prius performance. Of course, EVs are 'off the chart' even if power plant emissions are prorated. But to offer this 'report' . . . well I'm sorry but I have too much education and the facts and data suggest it does not apply.

Bob Wilson

8. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey bob,
    I'm not sure the UN is so far of fhte trail of engineering facts. I don't typically trust there numbers but at least in the US, other than a few cities like well these
    Most Polluted Cities In US: New American Lung Association Air Report - TIME

add those particulate top ten missing from this list
    American Lung Association State of the Air 2013 - Most Polluted Cities
    The diesel exhaust from light vehicles doesn't really affect health very much. In those 16 areas, 8 of them in california diesel probably adds to already dirty air.

Far more imporantant are medium and heavy vehicles, and industrial pollution. If we stay away from those 16 areas new light diesels are probably perfectly safe, well safer than a 10 year old gas vehicle doing similar duty.

Then we get to "how clean is your car". It appears that new bmw 328d is lower by a good measure than your gen I prius. I don't see anyone calling for the old prii to be scrapped (that would cause most cars to get scrapped), so the question is how low should low be.

#8 austingreen, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A clean diesel is as clean as a gasoline car that most of the population is buying and driving. American diesel emission standards for cars are tough because we are making the cars comply to numbers determined for gasoline ones.

10. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm centrist, straddling both Democrat ideals (personal freedom) and Republican ideals (obey the laws listed in the Bill of Rights, Constitution). You cannot have one without the other.
    Well you believe the UN scientists about global warming, so I don't know why you suddenly think they are incompetent when it comes to studying EU air quality. It's the same guys, funded by the same government.

As for cleanliness, I keep referring to Greenercars.org (part of the ACEEE which has been promoting environmental issues almost 40 years). Given equal size cars, the EVs are no cleaner than a Prius. Also..... diesels may not be as clean as prius, but they are as clean as other SULEV-rated cars (or Euro6-rated cars). Here's just a quick sampling:

57% Prius C (super-ultra-low emission vehicle)
    55% Leaf
    54% Natural Gas Civic
    38% Tesla Model S

#10 Troy Heagy, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2014