1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Craigslist Mobile Mechanic ? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wirelessjava, Apr 1, 2015.

1. wirelessjava

wirelessjava Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello Prius Chat People

I am wondering if anyone has used this mobile mechanic in California

2004-09 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID BATTERY PACK
    100% FULLY CHARGED INSIDE MY PRIUS
    UNLIMITED MILES WARRANTY
    FREE INSTALLATION AND DIAGNOSTIC
    MOBILE SERVICE TO YOUR LOCATION
    ASKING $500
    CALL 209-920-7479 LEAVE MESSAGE

Has anyone used this guy?

#1 wirelessjava, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would ask if he has a shop and can you visit. Find out if he's done this before or is he just selling a junk yard battery that he has repaired a cell on. References should be personally checked. Otherwise why not go to a battery shop that has experience to stand behind a reasonable price and a shorter but believable warranty. Also Dorman is selling replacement batteries.

3. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I removed replaced a bad cell and cleaned the contacts and installed my battery in less then 3 hours following videos on you tube and a $35 cell from e bay Id never trust a craigs list guy to work on prius...they don't have the equipment or training...and just walk away when they screw something up....just my two cents on backyard mechanics

4. MIKE SMITH

MIKE SMITH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello All, I have had a situation with my 2007 Prius high voltage battery and i used a local mobile mechanic by the name of EV Hybrid Tech, they charged me $800 for lifetime warranty battery replacement, i have tried to replace bad cells with other mechanics but i ended up paying the same amount of money and it only lasted about 6 months, my understanding talking to those guys that once you have a bad cell, which isn't easy to find using multi-meter only, it's probably an indicator for the overall health of the pack.
    i went into deep technical explanation with Sam and Sherief who posses a Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and have had certificates in both Electric vehicles and Hybrid systems. basically every time you have a bad cell, it means there is a block (2 cells) that went bad, when such even occurs, the Inverter overload the battery to try to get this bad cell to stay within the acceptable range of voltage reading, which overload mostly the rest of the cells, so when you have bad block, it's probably more than one set of cells, the other important issue is the sensing element of the battery pack, it goes bad sometimes and causes similar effect of bad cell, only that harness needs to be repaired or replaced for less.
    one of the most important things is you have to use a good mechanic, other wise you end up paying as much as you would to a dealer.
    those guys are highly trained, professional, honest and knowledgeable as well as approved mobile mechanics by the BAR Bureau of Automotive Repair, they issue invoices with clear warranty details, i recommend them to Los Angeles residence.