1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Curious about the PIP for the rest of the country?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by crash0099, Dec 12, 2013.

1. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey Guys, I have several questions about the PIP. I own a 2011 III and live in South Georgia. My questions are does anyone have an idea when the PIP will be offered nationally? When you guys run down the battery pack does it have to be plugged in (like aftermarket kits) to recharge it or does the Regen Braking recharge it too? I get on the average of 60 MPG with my regular Prius and I wonder would the price difference and MPG difference be feasible to buy here when I live in the country. I am 7 miles from my little town. I usually stay with in a 50 mile radius unless I travel. I have 42000 (for which time I have averaged about 56 MPG) on my 2011 and I wonder with the PIP would it possibly get the money back living and driving in this area. What real life mileage to you get with driving on just battery before ICE kicks in? If I could go from home to town and back that would be very good for me.

I have been using a brand of oil (Schaeffer Oil) that a lot of Truckers use in a 5-20w synthetic. They don't make a 0-20w but it did increase my MPG a bit and I will send in my oil sample in about 2000 more miles (at 10,000 now) to see if it needs changing. I have a friend that gets about 20,000 in his Mercedes diesel car. I also switched to a K & N air filter and seem to be able to hold a little higher speed consistently, but I am not sure if it helps on mileage.

Guys I would appreciate any and all info you can offer towards the PIP. Thank you!

2. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you don't plug it in, it'll be much like a regular prius except with a bigger battery.
    You'll want to plug it in if you want to take advantage of grid power/replace some gas usage - regen is still getting its energy from gas otherwise.

You could always get the car anyway, from a dealer in another state. You could also go with another plugin, if you'd consider other brands.

3. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks Shira, I have thought of the Volt, but I must admit I do like my Prius. My previous car was a BMW 3 series that only got 29 MPG no matter how easy I drove it. So this Prius has doubled my MPG. The Volt is still a possibility but I think it is still a little high priced and want to see how that platform lasts over the next few years. Thank you for your info.

4. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You can probably expect the pip to offer MPG values a little higher than a regular prius (the bigger battery can accept more regen, and faster).
    Don't forget to account for the tax credit, and if you can take advantage of it in full (2500 for the pip... volt would be 7500).

Using grid power would let you replace a lot of shorter trips (whatever's within range, if the engine stays off) with electricity - the short trips especially take a hit when running on gas, due to the warm-up penalty. They'll also displace a portion of longer trips, but reducing the portion of trips the gas engine is most inefficient at is what it's good at.

Fewer trips to the gas station is nice, if your driving pattern can stay on grid power for most of the time.

What is your driving pattern like? Trip/commute length, frequency, etc...

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I didn't wait for national rollout and ended up doing an out-of-state purchase. My average went from 50 MPG with my 2010 to 77 MPG with the plug-in. It's turned out to be a great decision.

hill, -1- and markabele like this.
  6. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks John for that statistic. About how far do you get to go on just electric? With my 2011 I get a little more but I really try too. I know when I first bought my 2011 that I only got, no matter how hard I would try; about 48 MPG than as it slowly broke in the mileage went up a little bit. My biggest jump was when I accidently found out that they still made gas without ethanol. My mileage went up about 10% to 55 to 58 MPG but I was still babying it. I have since changed oils and added a K&N air filter and it is more consistent and better power so when I travel the interstate here (which is fairly flat with slight hills) I still get around 55 MPG. I do pay a little more for my oil but I don't mind and I change it myself.

Hey John, for me to go to another state I would have to go to New York, plus if it needed work I don't know if I would trust a dealer here to work on it. Not to say I have not thought about it. I guess I will have to be patient.

Shira thank you for the info about it regenerating faster. I had not thought about it producing more electricity faster to the larger batteries. I am interested in (VW I believe) the car also using electric motor in the drive line just for regen purposes as you are driving along on the motor. So that would also allow a quicker regen but I wonder how much of a hit it would take drag or resistance.

I really enjoy reading about the new things they are trying with cars and I think I may be willing to see what comes about in the new gen IV Prius this time next year and find out what plans they have for the new PIP.

I believe the one thing that the auto companies should look at is allowing as an option larger battery packs for more mileage and allowing us to choose. I am hoping in the next few years we will see some big changes in battery range (crossed fingers).

Once again you guys thanks for you input.

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    John and I are about as far away as it gets to buy a PiP. Georgia isn't far at all. Plus, most stuff the dealer can do. It really is just like a regular Prius with a larger battery.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is a good idea and good feedback for the auto companies. But is is unlikely to happen, especially in these early stages where there are so few cars sold. Even Tesla started with 3 choices and backed off to two...since when you are paying that much money, what's an extra $10K to not be seen as someone who bought the cheap version.

In the current Prius plugin they put in as big of a battery as they could fit without making some big compromises. What they did do was remeove the spare and remove the lower trunk storage. Adding anything bigger would mean taking away the trunk space and/or a big physical redesign.

In a theoretical new generation they could do all sorts of things.

Mike

10. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The PIP is also available in VA, MD, DE and NJ. I bought mine in NJ and the dealer here in Raleigh said they'll service it as well as perform any warranty repairs as necessary. It was certainly a concern initially but is no longer an issue.

11. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In my almost 20 months of ownership, my small town dealer in Wisconsin has had no problems doing anything that I ask of them. So don't let that bother you!
    Most fun I have had in a car in many years! :)

Biking Maniac likes this.
  12. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The very first locally available 2014 plug-in Prius just popped up here within the last week. Being well over 500 miles from the nearest initial rollout dealers, just 14 miles down the road is a major advancement. Yeah!

The dealer just 3 miles from me doesn't have any yet, but their recent mass email mentioned the plug-in. So, it shouldn't be too long. Of course, with the temperatures below 0°F and fresh snow, thoughts of new vehicle purchases aren't likely a top priority for those here... perhaps unless someone gives up on the old beater they've been driving for countless years. The next few months should be interesting.

As for service locally, I certainly haven't had any concerns. There isn't much different from a regular Prius anyway. It's essentially a better battery-pack with a plug. Everything else is basically the same.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and they don't have to check the pressure in the spare!;)

14. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    As if they ever check it anyway! :)

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sure they do, they let the pressure out!:D

16. retired4999

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y)

17. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A larger battery and a heavier tail - as if it's always full of invisible groceries. ;-)

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    haha...or a large child

19. crash0099

crash0099 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you, everyone for your feedback. It really helps a lot.
    I really believe that if they utilize the old Tranny tunnel down the middle of the car and under the back seat they could install a much larger battery set up. Yes it would weigh more but it would still allow for a balanced car. I don't believe it would take up much room. I use the back seat for my wheelchair or my dog. I also think someone should look at making a generator that would be run by a back wheel somehow. I do know that some company is trying to look at making a generator that would mount between where the wheel and tire connect up to the suspension. That could help the Regen if it doesn't add too much drag. I am really interested in seeing what Toyota does with the Next Gen Prius to see where that takes us. I just hope they put in a bigger battery for the PIP. I have decided to wait and see where the next Gen comes in and if they make improvements to help with the extended range of it. 2015 is not that far away and I do have the extended warranty (7 yr.,/100,000) to use up.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a tunnel might work, i don't know what's there now. i think that's kinda how volt does it. it will take a whole new chassis design, so def. next gen.