1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Current DTC P3000 , Readiness DTC P0300 , P000A & P0125

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Tee20, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi,you all

I have 2005 Prius with 210,000 miles. The master warning light , engine light are pop up a week ago. The code on scanner are P3000 on current DTC, and P0300 , P000A , P0125 on readiness DTC. After I got the codes , I replace the thermostat with bleeding air of the coolant system. I hope the issues are gone but it isn't. My car is still not good shape. It can drive at a short distant.

The symptoms are on the lists below

1. The battery blower fan is always working after the ready light is on. Seem like non-stop!

2. When I push the accelerator, my car isn't moving the correct speed like used to be. also, the radiator fan is often working a lot.

What the trouble area should I focus and fix it?
    Any suggestion.:)

FYI, I replaced the inverter pump 6 month ago.
    Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! could be your hybrid battery. have you checked the fan for clogging?

3. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just cleaned it 6 month ago.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh my. This one is over my head for sure. OBD codes show questionable traction battery and also misfires. One of the codes doesn't show up in the list I normally use for Prius. Also there is a question about coolant temp. for closed loop fuel control. (P0125)

You can refer to Complete list OBDII codes - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars for the list of codes I am looking at.

Hopefully Patrick Wong will chime in on this thread. It definitely appears you have more than one problem with your Prius. I think you will find in the end you will be looking at traction battery repair or replacement plus other items to get your Prius back up to speed.

If you can afford a diagnostic fee, you might consider having Toyota take a look at your Prius and then go from there.

P3000 HV Battery Malfunction
    P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P000A - CODE NOT FOUND
    P0125 Insufficient Coolant Temperature For Closed Loop Fuel Control

Oh, I almost forgot my manners! "Welcome to Prius Chat"!

5. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some questions: Has it ever been in an accident? What is your location? What type of reader did you use to get the codes? Sometimes generic readers give false readings, like the P000A.

Assuming the P3000 is real, and it seems to be likely, there are additional "freeze frame" data that need to be read to pin point the problem. One of the possibilities is "HV battery cooling system malfunction". It could be related to the Battery ECU. There are others possibilities, but just guesses at this point.

Does the battery State of Charge indicator go from purple bars to green bars and back rapidly? That is also an indication of HV battery failure.

The P0125 could be related to the temp sensor, or the wires going to it. What is happening when this DTC is logged is the coolant temp sensor is not changing resistance in response to coolant flow in the first couple of minutes of engine warm up. Do you feel warm coolant flowing in the hoses after the engine runs?

The P0300 could be caused by many things, like wiring faults, leaks in hoses, or a dirty MAF. It would be a good idea to clean the MAF if it has not been done.

I'm sure others will chime in soon. Good luck.

6. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today, After I clean up MAF and check the leaks, It is running as normal now. (Thanks, nh7o)

But I have the issue that the engine is always running with the shifter in Park. It doesn't stop.

The engine keeps running with charging the main battery a while and then the main battery drop down 1-2 bar.

Then It keeps charging again.

For this condition , is it OK to drive? and what caused about it?

Thanks.

7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is the fan for the battery still blowing all of the time? Do you see any warning lights on the dash? Is the battery level on the MFD going from top to bottom and back to the top quickly? (All green to all red)

8. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the fan is always blowing. Also, the battery level is up and down in the park mode.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As it is a 2005 with 210,000 miles, I suspect that your traction battery has reached the end of its life. It may need replacement, or you might be able to get some more life out of the battery with faulty module replacement and rebalancing. Where are you located? You can drive in this condition, but you will find the car to be sluggish and accelerate poorly. Note that when moving at a constant speed on flat terrain, the battery does not see any charging or discharging. Therefore you can drive under those conditions. It is starting and stopping, and going up and down hills, which require a good traction battery.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Woops...Sorry Ron, missed that. Late at night.

12. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today I take out the HV battery to check the voltage for each cell. The result is: 27 cells are 8.5 volts and 1 of them is 7.2 volts

Also, two of the cells the plastic at the end are melt. ( see the attachment)

Any suggestion ? DSC_0351.JPG

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Replace the entire battery if you can afford it. If not, replace at least the three modules: the one at 7.2V and the two in the photo that are leaking electrolyte.

14. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here are some threads to look at (there are a couple of others to search out) to help decide if you want to replace and rebalance the modules:

Gen II Prius Individual Battery Module Replacement | PriusChat
    Prius Battery rebalance thread | PriusChat
    Another Gen II Rebalancing Thread | PriusChat

Now you can see why the battery fan was working so hard, with the heat being sufficient to melt plastic. I see that those are GenI cells, which are not as rugged as the GenII cells. It might indeed be better to replace the whole unit, unless your time is not going to enter into the equation.

15. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you replace the leaking cells and the weak one, make sure you take the time to balance the pack. And pay close attention to torque ratings. The cells are real easy to strip out and break the terminals.

If you can afford a different pack, you have options there also. You can check local scrap yards, as well as purchase remanufactured packs from various locations. If you will update your profile with your location, we might be able to point you to a particular vendor in your area that would have a replacement pack for you to save you time and maybe a few bucks too. In some parts of the USA there are companies that will come to you and replace the battery for you with either a rebuilt one or a new one. Of course each company will be different so if you do something other than DIY, take the time to investigate all of the courses that are available to you in your locale.

16. KiwiAl

KiwiAl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there and welcome,

I have a question too.

When you undid the nuts holding the bus bars to the battery terminals, did you happen to notice if the nut on the stud that you have marked with a black dot (the most melted cell), was not tight? I'm wondering if this fault was caused by a loose connection causing resistive heating of that terminal, rather than the cells inside the module being worn out or failed.

If it was loose, the rest of your battery may still be worth repairing.

17. Tee20

Tee20 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today, I continue to work on my car again. The voltage on each cell is dropped to 8.15 volts (27 cells) and 6.7 volts (1 cells). I replaced 2 cells that are leak.(one of them is 6.7 volts). Also, I decide not to balance it . Both new cells have 8.4 volts. After I put them together, my car seems working properly. Hopefully,everything is fine.

18. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Time will tell if you will need to do more work. As the pack ages, you will probably need to continue to do the "whack a mole' process that you did. You are not the first to simply swap cells and not balance.

Keep us posted on your progress and best of luck to you!

19. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I hope you don't cone back with same issues.
    Kinda like a wack a mule approach. No balancing, nothing?

20. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's been over three and half years!