1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Custom Headlights + Projector Retrofit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ucsbwsr, Oct 7, 2014.

1. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Both my current and previous vehicles received projector retrofits. I strongly suggest the modification for anyone who appreciates lighting performance; with some basic automotive/electrical skills and patience there are some huge performance gains to be had.

Most of my parts were sourced from TheRetrofitSource.com which has a great selection of high end retrofitting parts, they also do in-house testing (important to me), and have fantastic deals in their clearance. HIDplanet.com is also a wealth of automotive-lighting knowledge.

For this build I used the following:
    - Mini H1 (MH1) "b-stock" projectors
    - Graphite Shrouds
    - Morimoto 35w DSP
    - 5000k bulbs
    - butyl
    - Kwik Weld

- LED running and signal bulbs
    - High Temp Black and Aluminum Paint

I will post some nighttime beam shots shortly. This thread is meant to be a reference, use at your own risk.

Hope this inspires someone,
    Evan

Getting stared
    [​IMG]

Headlights Before
    [​IMG]

RL Bulb carrier before paint
    [​IMG]

Trim taped
    [​IMG]

After paint
    [​IMG]

Bowels Before: Ale Industries "Golden Ale" *cheers*
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Headlight Trim
    [​IMG]

Pieced together after paint
    [​IMG]

This is how I tapped into the oem wiring, the screw on connectors were sealed with tape after this photo was taken
    [​IMG]

Checking Power and Operation
    [​IMG]

Showing the performance of my turn signal. Although the bowels are no longer chrome and do not reflect as much as normal (good for the projector, bad for turn signal visibility) function does not suffer. The LED bulbs I have are much brighter in output and also feature a forward-facing projector lens. Light performance from both the signals and runnings lights are improved during this retrofit.
    [​IMG]

Headlight cover reapplied and housing installed
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    Catching the prism effect of the light cutoff. Beam shots s0on!
    [​IMG]

Burna J, Accordlayingkit and oh-no like this.
  2. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did a quick alignment of the headlights but they will need some further tuning. I will also check how my bulbs are seated as there are a few hot spots. As it stands a huge improvement in light output!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 ucsbwsr, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks good! Did it take u long to determine weather or not to paint the reflective chrome for the turn signals and headlights? I taped mine up with painters tape and when I took the painters tape off they ripped some of my chrome vacuum seal off but a lot of people wouldn't notice. Bothers me though haha

4. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would bother me too. You can't see it in the photos I posted but there in some haze on the inside of the cover, I tried to polish it out to no avail so I left it, it also drives me crazy ...along with the finger prints I left on the inside of one of my own covers, I can't believe it!

I painted my both bowls completely aluminum before taping it off and doing the corners black. This was the easiest way for taping and having a clean line between the two colors. I did not take me long to decide to paint over the chrome. I don't mind the look of blacked out trim with chrome bowls especially in my case where the turn signal bulb is grey/black and the projector shroud is of a dark color, the dark colors would reflect in the chrome and make it appear dark. I didn't want to risk any strong reflections of leaking projector light, especially since I was planning on using a translucent shroud. Hope this answers your question.

Evan

5. Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yea i hear ya! What car is on your profile pic and what wheels are they? Kinda remind me of the Klutch KM20

klutch-wheels-KM20-bronze-19_1024x1024.jpg

6. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They are Forgestar F14 Super Deep Concaves. Their original color is Textured Gunmetal, in my pic they were Plasti Dipped Copper, and now they are Dipped White....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Accordlayingkit likes this.
  7. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    those headlights are pretty sweet. only nitpick (cause I'm anal about wiring) you should've soldered and shrink wrapped your splices.
    'n maybe some leds in the center trim...

8. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nitpick accepted. I was hesitant to post the photo of my screw-cap connectors but I honestly didn't want to wait for my soldering iron to warm up. The connections are covered tightly with some Gorilla tape and I feel confident in their durability but I do wish I soldered and shrinked if for nothing more than aesthetics!

Also, thought about LEDs, if I went that route it would have been a PCB board mounted in the obvious location. If I discover any moisture or have another excuse to reopen the housings I may throw some in.

I like all the mods listed in your signature, no car deserves to be stock!!

Evan

9. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    very nice retro.

10. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius