1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

D-EGR gasoline demo vehicle delivers diesel efficiency

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 10, 2014.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The full title is:
    source: Green Car Congress: SwRI D-EGR gasoline demo vehicle delivers diesel efficiency at lower cost; potential for LEV III/Tier 3 emissions

It is clever but what a pumber's nightmare. The clever part is burning an over-rich mixture in one cylinder to generate an exhaust gas rich in partially combusted gasoline that is rich H{2} and CO, excellent fuels that are otherwise hard to generate. Their higher mechanical advantage occurs from both a turbo charger, roots super charger, and plumbing to capture the partially burned, fuel gasses, and feed them back into the other cylinders. But it is similar to a slightly different 'brain fart' I've had.

I've long felt the waste heat in the exhaust should heat a coal or charcoal mix that is exposed to a mix of steam and air to generate what is called 'manufacture gas.' Rich in the same H{2} and CO, the resulting gasses would once cooled, be a great feed into the air intake of the engine. There it would combust with a much smaller portion of gasoline to run the engine. But I had never considered the benefits of H{2} in supporting a lean, engine burn.

One aspect of H{2} is it has the widest range of air-to-fuel mixtures that can still burn. It is one of the reasons it is such wicked stuff. But if the H{2} is created in situ from more benign sources, it makes a lot more sense.

This is "demo" and not a practical solution . . . it has way too many moving, mechanical parts. Still, burning a rich mixture in one cylinder and generating some mechanical power from that over-rich combustion is clever. But at this time, I have a hard time seeing this as a near-term, practical solution.

Bob Wilson

austingreen, engerysaver and telmo744 like this.
  2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder whether they have tried it with a hybrid turbo, miller cycle valving, and a mild hybrid system like honda's ima. This may be a good system for 200+ hp systems. The set up would be much more efficient than small turbos under heavy acceleration. A inexpensive hybrid system may fill in the low power area where this set up is less efficient. I don't know how much more such a system would cost.