1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daox's Enginer PHEV 4kWh install

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Daox, Dec 24, 2009.

1. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just received an email from Jack, they are coming out with the 16-cell balancer, incorporated with the converter & charger ensemble around Feb 1 !! beta testing some more !:D

1 person likes this.
  2. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I threw the car back on the charger this morning. I watched the killawatt for the first few minutes. The wattage the charger was pulling quickly started to drop off after a minute or so. So, the pack was almost fully charged when the alarm went off last time. After it had finished I saw I had only put another .05 kWh in from the wall.

1 person likes this.
  3. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is great news! IMO this should take care of the #1 problem with the kit (if it works well).

1 person likes this.
  4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hmmm... tempted to buy the cheapest Prius I can find to replace my other car and convert to plug-in once this is available...

Should fix all the current issues with battery balancing if designed properly.

1 person likes this.
  5. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I've been using the kit here and there and being very careful while charging. Yesterday my wife drove the car alone (we usually carpool) and accidently turned the kit on. I'm sure it was drained all the way down to the cutoff voltage. :( Its still on the charger tonight as I only found out today that this had happened. I don't think I'll get a full charge in tonight as I am gonna sleep soon and its still not close to being fully charged (under 55V atm).

I'm hoping to get the automatic charging cutoff circuits done this coming week. Shortly after that, I am hoping to get the dc to dc converter cutoff working.

6. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cut the charger off at 55.0V last night. No alarms went off. I will continue charging when I get home tonight. I wanted to see how much power a FULL charge takes so I am not using the kit again today. It has sucked down 3.2 kWh so far.

While not using the kit, I did get some no-kit mpg readings. My morning commute is pretty consistent due to the lack of traffic. This is what I have gotten according to my non-calibrated scangauge. Actual MPG is lower, but this gives me a baseline for comparison.

Wednesday - 20°F - 50.2 mpg
    Thursday - 30°F - 52.7 mpg

I'll be using the pack again tomorrow, so hopefully the temps won't change too much.

7. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I went to charge up the pack when I got home tonight. I went back a while later to see that virtually no power was put into the pack. I know it wasn't full because when I disconnected it last night the pack was only at 55.0V. I'm not sure why the charger isn't staying on. The other night I only put 3.2 kWh into it.

Another thing to note, Dan2l mentioned that his charger didn't immediately turn off when he plugged it into his pack that was already full. Mine does not do this. I plug it in and it very quickly (1 second max) turns the green light on to show its fully charged.

I guess I'll use it tomorrow and recharge once home again and see what happens.

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Doax,
    It has been a while since I turned on the charger with a full pack. I need to try that again. Also my charger was set 1 volt lower at at the factory and I have not adjusted it. So my pack may not be as full as yours at the end of charge.

Thanks,
    Dan

9. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since the last post, I have only used the kit once. The pack voltage seemed to drop down a fair amount, and I plugged it in when I got home to recharge. The charger's green light immediately went on. So... something isn't right, because I know my pack is not fully charged.

10. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last night I got time to work on the car. It still would not charge, so I turned up the charger's shutoff voltage. Previous to this when it was working, the charger was turning off right around 56.3V. After turning up the shutoff voltage, the charger did start charging The pack voltage stayed around 54.7V for quite some time before finally increasing. I finally disconnected it before retiring for the night. It was then at 55.7V and had pulled ~2.5 kWh. During this time I got no alarms and the batteries stayed pretty well balanced. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the car today as I am not carpooling with the wife. Tomorrow will be the first day with the pack on in a while.

11. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a long trip this weekend (400+ miles). At the beginning of the trip, I filled up the tank and turned on the kit. By the time the battery had triggered the red light on the switch panel, I had gone 55 miles and the mileage was at 56 mpg. Most of the traveling was at 60 mph with the cruise control on. I finished out the tank on the way back at 48 mpg with some additional use of the pack. The rest of the 100 miles or so home was done with no pack at all and the tank is currently at 43 mpg. So, it looks like it is providing me with a 20% increase in FE while in use. I'll also note, the 2nd (and only other) time I used the pack on the first tank of the trip I only got about 35 miles out of it before the red light started flashing.

I have identified which buddy cell pair is going high every time I charge, so I think I will disassemble the pack and rearrange the cells into different buddy pairs that are more evenly matched.

12. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Daox: thanks for the info. As expected, the pack is essential dead weight on long trip. I am planning to come up with an easy to remove/replace for long trip.

13. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The enclosure that the system is in is removable, but the real issue is the weight and the fact that it is kind of awkward to handle it.
    If you could have a engine hoist, or other pulley system handy then you might have a chance, but it would take a bit of time to remove.

14. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I guess I don't understand the full set-up, but why can't the new battery pack be in parallel with the existing HV, and recharge from the ICE the way it does?

15. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The principle of operation of the Enginer kit is providing an steady source of about 240VDC through a low current DC-DC converter to the Hybrid battery output while its power source, about 48VDC from some LiFePO4 batteries, until these deplete their charge.
    Your idea of adding or augmenting the original NiMH capacity is being made since few years ago with a complete DIY equipment, all the CAN computer equipment can be obtained through Hybrid Interfaces
    This is the equipment that I test road and still drive since late 2007 with 6 total Toyota NiMH packs.
    LI skipper, lets get in contact through LIPOG.org

16. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know for sure what the red light by the switch indicates? Mine was blinking on the trip, I assume from reading here it means low pack voltage. However, why wouldn't the darn thing just shut itself off at that point? Does anyone know for sure?

17. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Are there any supplied instructions/operational notes with the KIT?

18. Daox

Daox Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That'd be a nice touch, don'tcha think? Nope, no operational instructions, manual, or even notes.

19. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello,
    For user information on Enginer,today your best bet is to Email Jack. He has been very responsive.

Also Enginer now has a users forum on their web site. I do not think anyone has used it yet for questions. But this is the type of question that would be good to ask there.

Anyway, I also had a blinking red light. I shut down the pack manualy.

The technical explaination is that the converter turns off when the input voltage goes down to 46v. When the voltage first gets to 46v the cells are under load. As soon as the converter turns off, the cells recover and the voltage goes up. I think the converter is cycling off and on trying to deside what the cell voltage is.

If you get a any red light, solid or blinking. Turn the system off and leave it off until you can check the individual cell voltages and plug in the charger. The last thing you want to do is to restart the system and kill the lowest cell.

Thanks,
    Dan

20. DocBob

DocBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Howdy,

I also got a 4kWh kit from the fine gentleman (Jack). Installation was relatively strait forward. The minor questions I had were answered by Jack... always within 24 hours (email)! I wish everyone I deal with had this kind of ethic.

Unfortunately, it appeared that the original DC to DC converter was damaged. Jack was able to send me a new one, and today was my first commute with it installed (in sub-zero weather).

I was able to use the system for about 20 miles before the light started blinking red. You can see the volts drop in the pack and fluctuate, so I am not surprised the converter gets a bit schizophrenic. Fortunately, no beeps from the balancers.

I hope the batteries get "broken in" soon so that I do not have to be quite so hyper-vigilant with the charging. All-in-all, it has been fun!

I will try to remember to post some more scientific observations as the number of data points increases... until then, keep hacking the future.

Attached Files: