1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Daox's Enginer PHEV 4kWh install

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by Daox, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So tell us more about the blue LED numeric display.
    Looks fun.

2. DocBob

DocBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a number of different folks who sell these for around $10 delivered. Type in digital voltmeter in eBay and you can have your pick... there is even one that is both a volt-meter and amp-meter (with a shunt). Most come from China. One seller is "elete.element" and the one I got mine from is "usbflying". There are two pairs of wires, one for the thing you are measuring, and one pair that turns it on/powers it.

The specs are:
    • Voltage Range:0-100V DC.
    • Resolution: 0.1V.
    • Power: 5V-12V DC
    • LED Type: Blue.
    • Accuracy: +/- 0.2%.
    • Dimensions: 45x26x20mm.
    Right now it is quite bright. I plan on trying to rewire it to the dimmer, but I need to figure out the proper wiring .... when I have some actual time (it appears according to "the internet" that the way the dimmer works is that there is a 12V wire and a variable voltage wire (0V-12V) that as the voltage increases, the difference in voltage decreases).
    PHEV pump and plug v1.jpg

3. Simtronic

Simtronic Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    The cells should be properly matched before they are buddied up then they can never get out of balance with each other, even if you buddied an old and a new battery, one would have more capacity than the other but their voltages are still locked together as if it was one bigger battery. buddying cells is a good thing, Buddy a pack of cells and you are asking for trouble as the voltages can vary within. I hope this helps.

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Re: Daox's Enginer PHEV 4kWh install..not

DocBob,
    don't tell me that you have "pizza pans" as your new hub cups?:.....

5. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I've bought some of these and used in my electric-car conversion. I had been thinking about installing something like this in my Prius / Enginer setup. I wanted a meter to show both the voltage of the 48V pack in the enginer kit, along with the 201V pack of the Prius hybrid battery. But I felt really uncomfortable running wires to the front of the car that would be carrying 48V and 201V in those lines. I had also thought about some temperature sensors too, you can buy those off of ebay that look similar to your voltmeter. (actually, searching for panel meter or panel volt typically gets better results)

But I'm thinking now I'm just going to build some kind of little display in the back of the hatchback. True, I won't be able to see it while driving, but I'll be able to check on it when I stop and it will give me some idea what is going on.