1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dash board wood trim kits

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mmelgar58, Feb 28, 2010.

1. mmelgar58

mmelgar58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm buying a 2010 Prius IV ( red with tan interior) but would like to spruce up the interior a bit..too much plastic for my taste. I would like to replace a few of the dash panels with simulated or real wood parts. Ive looked around and all i can really find are vinyl adhesive trim kits. They may look OK initially but eventually the edges peel and they look awful.

Does anyone know where I can get wood or simulated wood dash parts for this car?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Post him a picture! (I know, I know, you've done that two or three times of late - this subject seems hot lately).

OP, buy the Sherwood kit - it looks GREAT!

5. mmelgar58

mmelgar58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Sherwood kit is an adhesive backed set of decals. Just what i was trying to avoid but the other kit looks good. Thanks

6. dchev

dchev New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1 person likes this.
  7. LeeB

LeeB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Could you post a photo?

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1

Light to medium shade wood looks way too out of place with the sporty steering wheel and the rest of the interior (especially the very sporty two-tone Misty Gray). IMO, if you must spruce up the interior with wood, the best color to go with would be something like black bird's eye maple (found in various Lexus models). It's a popular trim for those who don't like the wood to stand out too much, but it's subtle enough to look good with the Prius sporty interior.

9. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They offer real wood. Yes, it sticks on. Were you looking for carved pieces of wood that completely replace the plastic components? I've never seen such.

10. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Hey thanks,just ordered one for my sandy beach/bisque!!got the light bamboo
    looks like a good price too,Saw a post somewhere they paid $190 at the dealer, They said it looked great! Will post pics on install.:nod:

Scott

11. PriusLewis

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, is this Genuine Bamboo, or just plastic painted to look like bamboo?

Anyway, bamboo is certainly culturally appropriate for an Asian car.

12. savany71

savany71 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sparks toyota has molded dash kit for sale for $146. They have light bamboo and gray wood color. I was going to post a link but the forum has rules I can only post link after 5 posts. I have sample colors chips sent to me by dash kit mall, colors look great but it is simulated wood pieces and very flexible. If you take your finger nail to it, it will scratch and make indentation.

Woops, I didn't read the thread all the way, someone posted the same info!!!

13. mmelgar58

mmelgar58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for all the responses but I was really hoping for plastic simulated wood grain parts or real wood parts to replace the plastic parts that are standard. I have a Camry XLE and it has simulated woodgrain accent pieces on the dash. I was looking for something like that which was available as an aftermarket product since toyota doesnt offer it as an option on the prius.

Everything I have seen so far are just appliques. Im afraid these will peel at the edges eventually. Also concerned that they may get wrinkles or look poor if they are not applied perfectly. Does anyone have experience with these things?

14. samsprius1

samsprius1 HEV Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Heck no, this stuff is better than real wood,have you ever seen an old Jag with wood trim all dried out and cracked!! Ya it looks sh!tty.
    Just got the kit UPS came late Tuesday had to go to work, took a quick look at it !! WOW this stuff is nice looks like real wood!!this is the Toyota kit.
    Will try to do a DIY and post pics

15. mmelgar58

mmelgar58 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Sam. I look forward to hearing about your experience with this. I am a pretty experienced DIY, but applying adhesive material over such irregular surfaces with obstacles in the way ( gear shift) makes me wonder how likely it is that you can get a near flawless application that wont look amateurish. I still worry about the edges peeling over time too. I tend to keep my cars for a long time.

Thanks again and if you can post pictures and let me know how the job went, I'd really like to hear about it