1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dash says Maintenance Required, Oil says good for 10,000 miles?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Absolutly Red Hot, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Absolutly Red Hot

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    So I have been taking my 2012 Prius C in every time the dash blocks me out and says Maintenance Required. This last time I said I just want the oil changed... The guy says we only change the oil every 10,000 miles. So what have they been doing the last 6-8 times I have taken it in. Sure the first 25,000 miles were free, but now I am the one paying. So now I have to go in and have the dash reset and keep track of the 10,000 miles on my own? Truly not a smart car! I am really finding it hard to like Auto Dealers, Sales or service.

2. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No idea how you are getting a oil change read-out from a maintenance required dash light. The C has no oil change or oil life dash status, as far as I know, and I think the maintenance required dash light is programmed to come on every so few thousand miles to let you know the car needs a check-up, etc...whatever check (which doesn't mean it needs a oil change per se, which I'm sure you should've read your owner's manual on the frequency of when to get an oil-change, etc)...and wasn't there a way you can just turn off the maintenance required light by yourself anyway??? I think it's somewhere on the forum or in the manual.

And no idea why you would blame the car for not being smart, because it can't think for itself like a human being, it can only follow pre-determined programming code...however, we still have stupid human beings, which says a lot...

Pug In a Prius likes this.
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh my! First off per Toyota, oil is to be changed every 10k miles, but the maint required still comes on every 5 K miles, for tire rotation and fluid inspection. If it bothers you to see the message pop up, you just need to touch the steering wheel control button and the normal screen will pop up, until you start the car again. There is away for you to reset it, you tube it to find the instructions. You really should read the manual!

4. No.
    1. The maintenance light flashes each time you turn on the car after you have traveled 4500 miles since your previous maintenance appt. (assuming that the dealer reset the maintenance timer).
    2. The maintenance light flashes more annoyingly as you get closer to 5000 miles since your previous maintenance appt.
    3. The maintenance light stays on once you have passed 5000 miles since your previous maintenance appt.
    4. Most non-Toyota services/dealers won't reset the maintenance light only because they don't bother or don't know how.
    5. Oil changes are not done at every service appointment. See attachments.

This is how the car is programmed, and this is how Toyota wants to keep the car programmed.

Attached Files:

firstrival likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no Maintenance light on the Prius C. The C has a written message that appears as you get close to the 5K mile mark. Not sure what Prius you are looking at?

6. When I went in for my 5000 mile appt. I actually had 4000 miles so I never saw the message. I'm just used to cars that have a message like "Perform Maintenance" or a light comes on - whatever.

7. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Read your owners manual and service requirements to become familiar with your car.

Read the service threads to become familiar with what other people are doing with/to/for their cars.

Learn how to turn off the maintenance requried screen.

Take charge.

fourenty likes this.
  8. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. Simple to turn message off when you don't want to look at it. I did it just yesterday. Takes 3 clicks and you are done.
    Dan

9. WA T-Man

WA T-Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've just read the manual for my 2008 Prius, and it does not explain how to reset the maintenance-required light.

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Odd the 2007 I just looked up did.
    Help me buy a Prius | PriusChat

11. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bummer

12. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    T-Man, your google-fu requires resetting, too.

DIY Maintenenace Section, 4-3

Resetting the engine oil maintenance data (U.S.A. only)

Perform the following steps:

Turn the “POWER” switch to OFF mode with the trip meter A shown.

Turn the “POWER” switch to ON mode with the trip meter reset button (P. 144) held down.

Keep pressing the button for longer than 5 seconds after the “POWER” switch is in ON mode.

When the trip meter A indicates “000000” and the light goes off, the system reset is completed.

13. Mr Incredible

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four