1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard Lights not Working + Other weird things...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Em616, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Em616

Em616 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius with 105K miles on it. It was working perfectly until one day, the dashboard lights didn't turn on. I messed with the switch to the left of the wheel just to make sure I hadn't touched it, and that didn't work to turn them on.... then I went to turn my car off and it just didn't turn off! I tried several different techniques, made sure it was in park and not in neutral, and it just wouldn't turn off.

After a bit of driving, it finally turned off, but when I clicked the unlock button, my four way flashers came on... and the red clicking light with the car keeps blinking inside when I turn the car off (which I don't remember happening before).

So I'm just not sure what's going on... is this a short in some wire? Is this a battery problem? I'm just not sure what to do... and I need to see my dashboard lights!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you on the original 12V battery? It's an odd constellation of symptoms you're describing, but sometimes we see some really odd behavior as the 12V gets weak. If you're on the original, the first thing I'd do is replace it. Also, since you're barely over 100k miles it may be worth a trip to the dealer and appeal that they handle it under the original 100k mile warranty (assuming battery replacement doesn't fix it all). That may or may not work since most of the stuff you describe is usually just covered to 36k miles.

3. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Same here with an 08 with 75K. My wife's car.

It started this summer with the cruise not working intermittently than about a month later not at all. Now we can get it to come on 1 ever 3 weeks or so.

About a month ago the dash lights did not go on on start up, then a few miles later they came on.

Took it to the dealer last week, and they had "800 found multiplex communication stoppage and combination meter issues". They told my wife the fix was $200-$5,000, I was pissed, and called them back. They did admit they had no clue and were just guessing. They call Toyota, but had to wait till this last Monday because Toyota was closed last week for Thanksgiving. We have yet to hear anything. So far, NOT impressed with the dealer. charging $100 for a diagnostic and giving me a guess. Good news is they just didn't say pay me a grand and I'll fix it:)

Today no dash lights on start up, 6 miles to work (mail carrier) to office. Loaded up the car with no dash lights, and could not get the rear hatch open. 10 miles into her route, the dash lights came on. Came home and everything is ok, but did notice that the odometer did not keep track of the miles driven for the day when the dash lights were off.

Hoping it's just the 12v battery.

Any thoughts?

4. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Update, I ran a diagnostic but putting the car in Ready mode, and pressing the Info button, and turning the headlights on and off 3 times.

LAN Monitor said

EVM Check

Code - / --Sub Code
    01-DC -- 190-19-2
    01-D5 -- 190-46-C
    01-DB -- 190-4C-F
    01-DB -- 110-78-8

???

Thanks in Advance

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  6. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did see that thread, but would that also cause the Cruise not to go on, as well as not having the rear hatch open?

P.S. I also checked the 12V battery through the same diagnostic.

12.6 no load
    12 2 with acc. load.

7. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Your battery specs are good .
    The luscious Garage link states the combination meter lacks the speed input for the above issues.
    Luscious Garage | Blog | LG TV - Prius Dead Dashboard
    -------------------------That said, what’s the explanation for the weird behaviors? It’s mostly confusion over vehicle speed: the speedo acts as a gateway to broadcast related information to other “body†ECUs on a dedicated communication bus called BEAN (Body Electrical Area Network) including those in charge of the power switch and the rear hatch. If the vehicle is moving (or it can’t tell), the Power Source Control ECU interprets brief presses of the power switch as accidental and ignores the request, a safety feature to keep you from inadvertently shutting down the car when moving. If the power button is held down, the car interprets it as an emergency and shuts down no matter what speed. This function still works even when the instrument cluster goes down. ikewise, the vehicle will prohibit the hatch from opening if it doesn’t know what speed its going. Reverse lights are not related to speed, simply controlled through the combo meter according to gear inputs from the HV ECU.

1 person likes this.
  8. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  9. bat4255

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  10. David T

David T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just experienced the same problem as EM616. Everything was normal on my way to SF for thanksgiving (about 40 miles) and then when it was time to leave, no spedometer, etc. I tried powering on and off a few times to see if that made a difference, but it did not. Then after driving about 40 miles, I got home and could not power off the car! I kept trying and eventually it worked, and after it shut off I turned it back on, viola! everything was back to normal. I am in the bay area so do not suspect thermal cycling is the culprit, and since I was parked when it went from working to not vibration is not the problem either. I think this problem is distinct from what is described in the combination meter intermittent display.

I also note that with the display off, I was not getting any sort of mileage performance in the center console display, and it seemed like the engine was running a bit more often than normal, even when I was taking care to accelerate slowly and keep the speed low (can't be sure on that though.) One thing was for sure, the battery averaged a higher charge than normal by a couple of bars.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your described symptoms point to a failing combination meter.

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  13. cooldyood

cooldyood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had this problem yesterday, and I *instantly* knew where to go - this forum :D

A quick search turned up the "combination meter intermittent display" issue.

My car wouldn't turn off, I called a local dealership. They suggested to press and hold the power button longer than usual. That worked like a charm ie it turned the car off. Since then it has been behaving normally.

14. EfrainZap

EfrainZap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2007 prius turn off will driving and wont turn back on. What i notice that moment was a light scent that something had burned. Now that i tried to turn on the vehicle i insert the key to dash board and notice turns on, not even the dash board. The only thing that works is the dome loght and hazard loght and headlight and brake light thats pretty much it. nothing else works no even that start button turn on. I van unlock and lock the vichle with the remote and that it. battery look to be working since light turn on (headlight and dome light) and teste eith multimeter and showed 12v. Any body has any suggestion that what could be the problem?

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Check the AM2 fuse.
    2. If that fuse blew, replace the inverter coolant pump.

16. EfrainZap

EfrainZap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is the am2 fuse located?

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a 15A fuse located on "Unit B" which is in the main relay/fuse box next to the inverter in the engine compartment. Unit B is closest to the fender, and is one of two integrated relay assemblies (each contains four relays). Unit C also contains four relays but does not have fuse sockets.

18. PriusGuyfrom213

PriusGuyfrom213 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This worked for me with the dash light problem.