1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dashboard lights not working.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ali921, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2005 Prius with Navigation with 96k miles. I test drove the car during the day and by the time I took the car home it was night time. I noticed that the dashboard lights are not lighting up. The LCD in the speedometer works fine however lights for any of the buttons next to the Navigation screen and the Audio do not work. At night it is almost pitch dark. The dome lights work fine and so does all the external lights. I have checked almost all of the fuses and they all look ok.

The rheostat button on the left of the steering does nothing, even if I move it up or down. I am not sure if that is the issue, and how difficult would it be for someone to change that.

Any help on this would be greatly appericiated. The dealer would probably try not to have this fixed since I bought this as is. If only I had test driven this at night :confused::unsure:

I love my new Prius, I just hope I can get this fixed.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you move the rheostat button plast the click to the full on position?

3. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did, I can move it all the up or down and nothing happens.

4. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Two things things:

When you roll the dimmer up and down does the speedometer display dim (when the headlights are on)

Do your steering wheel buttons light up (they are normally very dim so it may be difficult to see them at first).

5. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, the first thing - When I roll the dimmer up and down, the speedometer does not dim - with or without the lights on.

Second - At first I did'nt notice the steering wheel buttons light up, but last night I sat in the car, and they do light up - very dimly - but they do. And the dimmer has no effect on those.

Thanks for replies guys - I really appreciate it.

6. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can say this: the steering wheel lights are very dim by design. And they are NOT affected by the dimmer switch. Marvinh

7. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My thinking is that either it is the actual bulbs or the dimmer switch. I have been doing a lot of research online and somewhere I read that if I move the dimmer up or down, it is supposed to have the Start button lights go dimmer or brighter. I also noticed that it has a 6 disc changer, and I put in 2 discs, and the lights for that turned on. So when I turn on the head lights, those lights and the clock lights go high or low, meaning if I turn on the headlights, the clock light would be brighter. But If I move the dimmer, the Start button lights do not go high or low(At night)

Two things - How easy would it be for someone like me (somewhat technical) to open up the dash and look around - Maybe there are some DIY guides for that .

Secondly - How much would the dealership charge me for something like this - I would probably not go to a dealership - I would prefer a local shop which has been excelent in the past.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did you check the 7.5A PANEL fuse (located in the fuse box below the steering column)?

If you want to access the variable resistor, first pull out the ventilation duct on the far left. Grab the top and bottom of the duct with your two hands, and pull the duct horizontally away from the instrument panel.

You may have to remove the trim panel that the POWER button is attached to next. Then you will be able to access the trim panel that the variable resistor is mounted to. You'll need to remove one or two screws holding the panel in place.

Attached Files:

9. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did check almost all the fuses already. There was one missing fuse in the engine compartment for DRL 7.5 A - I am thinking that is for the DRL system, and I went and got a new fuse and put that in, but that did not fix the problem.

One thing I would like to check when I get home tonight is to remove the DRL fuse and see if that had any affect on steering wheel lights. Like I was mentioning before, I bought the car on Saturday, and on my way home I noticed that none of the dash lights were working. So yesterday - on sunday - I put a new fuse for the DRL, and I noticed that the steering wheel button lights were lighting up. It still did not have any affect on the rest of the lights.

My main goal is to have the buttons next to the navigation light up.

I am really leaning towards the notion that the dimmer switch/rheostat needs to be changed. What do you all think?

BTW - Thanks Patrick - Thanks Marvinh - Thanks jelloslug - Thanks paprius4030 -

10. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also does anyone know of a DIY - Step by step guide - with pictures on how to remove the dash.

Patrick - Your pic was nice, but I know I would cause some major hell if I just start pulling panels and removing screws.:faint:

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks once again Patrick for this.

I will keep that as a last resort. If I can get this to work without having to tear apart the dash, that would be awesome.

13. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does anyone know where I can buy the rheostat / dimmer switch - The little round wheel button on the bottom left of the steering wheel?

14. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also does anyone know if that switch can be pryed out with a flat screwdriver, or would it be necessary for me to remove the dashboard.

15. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Took the car to the dealer and he said the dimmer connection was loose so thats what was wrong with it. Its working great now.

Thanks for all the help.

16. Amyseattle

Amyseattle New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you got it fixed. You did not mention cost. My dashboard lights stopping working on cold starts about a year ago. The problem went away but I mentioned it to the dealership when I had my 30k. They said since it was working they couldn't determine the problem. The dashboard lights stopped working altogether 6 months later. I took it into the dealership, the problem was not covered through warranty and cost $400 to fix. It was my fault that I did not insist at the 30k that the problem be recorded into my record at the dealership. If I had done that, I would have had proof that the problem first occurred a year ago, and may not have had to pay.

17. Ali921

Ali921 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It didn't cost me anything. Like I mentioned before, I noticed it on the day I bought the car while I was driving away, so they fixed it free or charge. It wasnt a major fix anyways, since the dimmer switch was disconnected. Bummer that they made you pay 400.

18. Ruch777

Ruch777 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I have this exact same problem, can anyone pls tell me what is the wire for the dimmer? And where it should be connected? I tried connecting an unconnected wire to one of the vacant connector but no luck.

It's a 07 prius.

Thanks

19. tyler2007prius

tyler2007prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same problem. There is a dial left of the steering wheel that controls the brightness of the dash when the headlights are on. You'll want to make sure that is all the way to the top. It may be broken if it doesn't work. It was an easy fix for me.

20. LBH

LBH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same problem on my recent purchased Prius 2004. Fuses are checked & OK. Can anyone show me how to check the dimmer switch wire without removing the dashboard? Thanks in advance !!