1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. AshooraPrius

AshooraPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone!
    I recently got rear ended in my '15 Prius and of course the insurance company tried to see if they could blame me. Long story short, I knew I needed to install dash cams in my car to cover my tail if someone hits my car again (hopefully that will never happen again!). I have one installed for the front, but wanted some suggestions for the rearview one. I thought of sticking it to the rear trunk windshield in some way but haven't really thought about how lately. (My mind is on college finals and Teas V exam right now mostly.)
    Do any of you have a rear dash cam? I am not a big fan of the rearview mirror cams because I don't like the idea of changing out mirrors when my car is still under warranty and I'm worried about the quality of the mirror. I put a decal on the back of my car to warn people that there's a dash cam in my car in hopes that it would deter some serious tailgating around here. Guess what? It worked! Kidding. Nothing changed and nobody cared. :cautious: Now that I know for sure the decals aren't effective and that road rage-rs actually don't know how to read, I am planning to install another camera for the back window in case I get hit again. Lawyer told me that the front-facing camera in the front of the car is fine and that if I got rear ended, the "bump motion" from that will be enough evidence to prove that someone hit me. However, insurance companies are notorious for trying to argue about everything. If the camera shows that "bump" on video, then they will probably say that it wasn't enough evidence. :confused: I want to make it almost impossible for people to argue with me when it comes to being hit by another car if I have enough video evidence. It's worth trying to ask around especially with my fellow Prius folks on here!

To sum it up, I need input on what camera you suggest for the rear window and does it have 1080p res.?
    Also, does it have loop recording feature and a memory card slot? My current camera has a slot and I have 32gb card in it. The cam rewrites over the memory when it fills up. I love it and it's 1080p.

If you don't have a camera, I encourage you to get one. The reason I got one is because I found out that insurance companies have placed the blame on multiple drivers in the same accident just because even though it was the fault of one driver only and the accident report states that. I don't know about you, but my driving record is important to me and I am not taking any blame for something I didn't do and I didn't cause. Plus, video evidence tells the whole story. That alone is gold!

In case you're wondering, my car is fine now. I just got it back from the shop last week and it looks amazing. The rebar was damaged and had to be replaced along with the bumper.

Hopefully your monday is treating you well!

2. HelloHybrid

HelloHybrid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bump, I'm curious too about a rear-camera solution.

Good to see you're okay after something like this. I'm surprised that the insurance company is trying to pin it on you. Every story I've heard about someone getting rear-ended always has the car in the back at fault, no matter what happened.

3. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Was also rear ended recently. They didn't really try to pin the blame on me, and I think it helped to have had a police report specifying the other driver was at fault. I thought one question was odd--"How long were you stopped at the stop sign before you were hit?" It occurred to me that if I'd stopped only briefly, and abruptly, they might have looked for a way to give me part of the blame.

So I'm also looking for a 2-channel recorder. So far, this looks like the best one: BlackVue DR650GW-2CH with Wifi. That link is to a shootout with a competitor's product, the Blacksys CH-100B, another 2-channel camera.

I know there are plenty of cheaper solutions out there, but I don't think I want to mess with one of the really low-end ones. I'm interested in any comments by users of these devices, or comparable ones (I'm not aware of any).