1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

day/night setting on MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by taggart, Oct 29, 2008.

1. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Let's just get this out of the way before I ask my question:

"Read the manual, idiot!"

That should save some of you some typing.........

I've had my 2008 for 7 months and saw something on the MFD I've never seen before or since. I was driving at night with my headlights on and the MFD also on (stereo display I think). I hit the display button to bring up the "screen off" option, and a new option appeared to it's left. It said "day/night" I believe. Out of curiosity, I hit it, figuring it was a brightness setting, but noticed no difference.

Simply turning the headlights on during the day does not bring this option back up.

What in the heck is it?

2. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check the setting of the dash lights brightness switch (rotary). In the full brightness position it overrides the map night time setting.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The day/night option is only displayed when the headlights are on. In other words, you can use the day setting at night, but you can't use the night setting during the day (unless you run with your headlights on).

As the previous posted pointed out, if your dimmer wheel is all the way up, the MFD automatically switches to day mode.

Tom

4. rpg51

rpg51 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is where I use this feature. I set the brightness of the display in normal night mode (lights on) so that it is quite dim. This works well in the night time because it is plenty bright even at the lowest setting. When the lights are off - during the day - the screen automatically by default is displayed in day mode (brighter) so this works well 90% of the time for me.

The problem of course is that if I need to turn my lights on during the day the setting is so low I can't see the display because of all the ambient light. So when I have to have my lights on during the day I then touch the day mode button which quickly brings the brightness way up so it is readable.