1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Ian Charles Scott

Ian Charles Scott New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had my '08 Prius for 3 years and have little to no problems with it. This morning I jumped in to go to work and the entire dash lit up and then faded out and died. The only lights still on is the check engine light, Airbag light and the little green light on the Park button. The worst part is now I can not completely shut it down. I am wondering if it is just a dead battery or if this is something bigger. If it is a dead battery I am baffled at how it could be. I have AAA coming to jump it and I hope that is all it is. Sound familiar?

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you know if that's the original battery? If so it's completely reasonable for it to have died at this point. In the Prius, all that 12 volt battery does is start the computers and activate a few relays when you make the car ready. If it goes out, you can't start the car. I'm sure others will be along to point you to some suitable replacement batteries.

HTC Evo 3D

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. etobia

etobia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ABSOLUTELY THE 12 VOLT BATTERY! My 2010 recently pooped out without any warning signs. In my case the dash lit up and passenger doors locked. I used Toyotas roadside assistance and they towed it to the dealer. Things I learned: Battery is in the back and can use jumper cables like any other car. You'll probably want to leave the vehicle running and with the charger attached for a bit. In my case the minute the guy disconnected the charger the car shut off.

Good luck and keep us posted.

5. eview

eview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i asked abt this at the dealer and was told this problem had been addressed for the new models, but i am leery now....

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What specific problem is that? That it wont start with a completely dead 12V battery?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I know of no car that the 12 volt battery does not need to be replaced about every 5 years. In 'normal' cars you hear that low battery chug, but in a Prius the 12 volt battery does not run the starter motor, so you need to learn new ways of detecting a dead battery. If you suspect a dead battery try rolling up the power windows in ACC and in Ready. If they take much longer in ACC, the battery is weak.

8. eview

eview Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have not had this problem, but I read about the problem here and on some other Prius V consumer sites. So it was a concern to me because I did not want to wake up with a dead battery.

9. Paul Anderegg

Paul Anderegg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Does the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) require less CCA's to start? I am just curious if my little booster box would work for more starts if the v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) needs less juice to start.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    [

None of the Prius range of hybrids require CCA's to start. The 12 volt battery does not start the engine. The job of the 12 volt battery is to bring the control computers into life, pull in a couple of relays to connect the HV battery, and operate an electric pump for a few seconds for the brake accumulator.
    As soon as the relays that connect the HV battery are pulled in the 12 volt battery is on charge "taking no further part in running the car in normal operation" even if the engine does not start up. When the engine does start the HV battery supplies all of the current required to turn the engine, nothing is used from the 12 volt.
    Your booster box will probably have more current lost through self discharge standing for weeks or months of non use than the amount of energy required to "start is the wrong term" make ready the Prius.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  11. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And......over the past 3 days, my 2008 Prius has been flashing up the Red Triangle of death during the power up sequence.

On Monday it left me temporarily stranded for all of 20 seconds when the power up failed and I got the Red Triangle of Death (probably an unfair name) the check engine light AND the brake warning light pop up - no ready light.

I did a forced shutdown and then restarted - this time it all booted up BUT with the RTD showing ominously during boot up, before it quickly disappeared.

Yesterday, the RTD showed up in the morning again, and for my journey home during boot up.

Same thing today.
    I've already booked my spaceship into Jemca Toyota in Edgware for a 60,000 mile full+ service, transaxle oil change AND a new battery.

I'm sure my ship still has the original battery! The cold is what makes them start to misbehave this time of year. And I wholeheartedly concur with Britprius above. Old 12v batteries need to be changed - they're the Achilles heel of the Gen II ;-)

iPad ? HD

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the real problem with the Prius 12 volt battery is that in the past we have all been able to tell if the batteries on our cars were getting weak by the slow cranking of the engine.
    With the Prius we are suddenly surprised one day when problem lights appear without warning. Perhaps on your star ships they would not be surprised by some warning lights and have a backup system to deal with the problem.

At the moment no battery last forever, but the Prius OEM battery does seem to be a little short on capacity and it's life is shortened by deep discharge. These are partly the reason I fitted a mobility battery to my own vehicle giving over 50% greater capacity (62 AH against 40 AH for the OEM) and the promise of a longer life, both at less cost than the OEM.

The extra capacity has proved it's worth when the lights on my car were left on for 18 hrs with no ill effects. The car being made ready in the normal way with no warning lights. This would have killed an OEM battery.
    As far as the longevity goes only time will tell, but the voltages are holding well.

John (Britprius)

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Do not let them over charge you for the transmission oil change. While they have it on the lift doing the engine oil change it will take them at most 10 minutes extra to change the trans oil, it has no filter. The oil itself will be about £50 for 4ltrs the balance of witch they should give you in a plastic bottle. The transmission cannot be flushed so no charge for that either.

John (Britprius)

14. Data Daedalus

Data Daedalus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks John. You're right as always. They emailed to confirm the service on Monday and have indicated that the transaxle oil change will be £50 extra. I'm looking at £140 for a new OEM battery. I'll just suck up these charges in the knowledge that my Prius "Spaceship" is getting the best premium care - in Toyota's Space Dock - no less. My health means I no longer dable in fixing my cars myself like I used to. I work in IT so I really respect what I'm driving right now. A kinda digital computer on wheels is one way of looking at it. I'm happy at least Toyota have relatively transparent fixed pricing. It could be worse - I could have chosen a Mercedes Benz A160 Cdi Auto back in June - and I'm sure they'd have scalped me several times over the last 6 months - and I'd definitely be full of regrets too.
    I certainly do NOT regret buying my Prius regardless of what happens. I've already had 6 months of out of this world motoring - that sure ain't no conventional car - it's a ruddy Spaceship on wheels, I tells ya…… :)

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The 60,000 mile service is more advanced than other services with spark plug inspection and such. However I should point out if you print out the intermediate service and the full service and compare, then look at an MOT you will see that the intermediate service + MOT is exactly the same as a full service with the exception that the MOT looks at things in greater depth than they do in the service. EG check all lights :- In the service they turn them on walk round the car and turn them off.
    In the MOT they do the same but also check the alignment of them.
    This comes down to I only ever have the intermediate service done every 12 months and an MOT. The dealer will price match on MOT's, Halfords do them for under £30. "I would never take my car there, but the dealer does not know this."
    I change the cabin and engine air filters myself before service if required, buying genuine filters on line. If you can open a suit case, you can change these. I also tell the dealer not to change the fob batteries. They charge £5 each for these and you can buy 5 branded batteries for £1.
    Doing things this way can save a small fortune, and keep all the stamps in the book.
    I am retired and also now due to poor health unable to carry out larger jobs, but with a little help from my son in law still manage things like brake work.
    I am a retired EE specializing in industrial robotics so the Prius suits me well.

John (Britprius)

16. fdret44

fdret44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have had to replace the 12V battery several times in my 2004 Prius. There is not much warning, but it you leave a light on or otherwise discharge the little battery, it will not hold a charge well after that. I've had to replace them about every 3 years. Not sure what the life of the ""v (lowercase v for the Prius v wagon because only 2010 Prius used uppercase Roman numerals for model designation) is but sure I'll find out in a year or two.

On the 2004 version there was a way to check the battery voltage from the display. I'm sure that is still in the Prius Online archives if you wish to check there. I have noticed that if I park the care with the care in "Ready" mode an have everything else turned off and the Traction Battery charge level goes down to the bottom in 15 minutes or so that the 12V battery may be getting weak. Only my observation and conditions may vary.....