1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer/accident questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kory Matthew, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Kory Matthew

Kory Matthew Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because we are having a lovely spring up here, I ended up sliding into a curb today and apparently did a number on my car. I was only traveling 15 mph, unfortunately I hit the curb dead on the rim with the wheels turned. I know that is not the way to hit a curb. However I was able to drive it to the dealer, but there was something definitely wrong with the steering.

Now the dealership called back and said there is 3300 in damaged. There is no body damage, but the rim is cracked and the rack and pinion steering needs to be replaced and some ball joints, control arm, strut, etc. I am gonna call back to get the complete list, but basically everything to do with the steering on the drivers side is broken.

Now the Toyota dealership is the only place in town I've found that will work on the prius and it will be my insurance will be the one getting taken by them. But it is nice to know for future reference if this is a good dealer or not.

I have broken the rack and pinion in a vehicle before, and it was nothing like this. I couldn't even turn the steering wheel then and with the prius it was obviously more difficult to steer and I drove it through town for like 4 miles to get to the dealership. I have also hit a curb with my Camry like this before and all it did was screw up the alignment. I am not a mechanic so it's hard to know about driving with broken steering, but this all sounds over priced to me.

2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anything anyone here says on this will (somewhat) be a WAG....although some WAGGERS have a little more experience than others I suppose.

I will say that even minor low-speed collisions can cause $$$$ in the Prius. My car was about two weeks "new" when my husband ran it into a tree at about 5 mph. The tab came to $979 for a new headlight and bumper cover repair.

So, I would not be surprised at the $3300 cost for your accident. A friend had a similar mishap in a Nissan Sentra several years ago and that was $2700 or so and that was about 7 or 8 years ago, same type of speed, same type of damage, so it can happen (actually, I guess they ran OVER a curb...)

Having said that, and gritting my teeth as I do --- does the cost matter that much? For me, it was all out of pocket since I have a $1250 deductable. But in your situation, I image, a $1000 repair or $3300 repair, is not going to matter much in terms of what YOU pay.

And, in your case, the insurance company is NOT going to pay anymore than they have to -- they have all sorts of claims experts/adjusters who should know if what your dealership is stating is out of line or not.

So, if it were me, paying out-of-pocket, I would be spinning around, trying to find other options, finding somewhere else to get an estimate, etc....even if I had to go out of town.

But, and again, I hate to put it this way, if MajorGeneral Deluxe Property and Casualty is paying....

3. Kory Matthew

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No it doesn't matter to me. My out of pocket expense is 500$. I'm merely trying to get a feel of whether or not this dealership is legit or not for future reference. I'm also trying to get a feel about how easily it is to cause damage in this vehicle since this is my first accident. I can see a control arm and cracked rim, but rack and pinion and strut seems excessive for a very low speed collision. I would imagine this is not the last time I will have to deal with this place.

4. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, maybe Patrick or one of the other people (being a sexist, I was going to say guys, but stopped myself) can comment more on the "damage aspect."

But, AGAIN as a WAG, the front end of the Prius is very heavy. Rotating my own tires with Prius jack has taught me just how heavy it is....Ergo, heavy, inertia, sudden stop, I could see how there might be more damage than one might think. I know when my father-in-law (5'10" and 300 pounds) hits the ground, he gets much more banged up than I do at 5'10" and 120). :LOL:

5. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Let your insurance handle it, but be aware that you will pay in terms of higher premiums in the future. I'm no expert, but you don't want to skimp on front end work, that's putting your life on the line.

6. Kory Matthew

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As evident by my earlier posts, my insurance will be handling this. I never said I wanted to skimp on anything. I drive this vehicle 300 miles a day, I don't skimp on it. I have read tons of threads about bad Toyota dealerships, I'm merely trying to gain insight on whether mine may be for future reference. As well as if ill be switching from energy savers to defenders if this much damage is typical from this minor incident, which can happen often in bad weather.

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I may not be adding much, but never stopped me before:

1) I'm going to forego the LRR tires on my next switch precisely for the reason you mention. I may lose 2-3 mpg, but I think the safety factor far outweighs any fuel savings.

2) Again, I think insurance will "smell out" any fraud here, but it sounds as if you are from a smallish town. I always find out about how good a biz is by asking around, talking to people, etc. Look for people with a Prius, or another Toyota, start a quick conversation. Ask if they have any experience with the shop. Check Yelp, CarTalks MechaniX files.

8. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So expensive repair means bad dealer? Sounds like they have it about right to me considering the list of parts you gave. The wheel alone is around $400. But I guess we shouldn't be paid well for our work, considering how unskilled and dishonest we are. I mean, anyone can work on cars right?

SPH-D710 ? 2

9. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

based on our usual experience, it's no wonder people don't trust dealerships

10. Kory Matthew

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, expensive repairs do not equal bad dealerships or bad service. I never commented on the hourly rate they were charging either. Based on what I have read on these forums there are a lot of people who are upset at the level of service and price their dealers are charging. Should I never question the price a dealership gives me? Always assuming that they are all-knowing and do business straight as an arrow?

I've worked in dealerships before, I have seen first hand the things that happen in both the service and sales departments and the stuff between managers. So here are my two questions as I should have asked them in the first place.

Does this seem reasonable for the amount of items being replaced?

Does this seem like typical damage for the accident I described?

On an unrelated question, does anyone have real road tested numbers on the difference in mpg between energy savers and defenders? I have read a lot of threads guessing on the difference but haven't found one with actual tested numbers on the same vehicle.

11. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is the issue, you are asking those questions here where there is an obvious bias against dealers. A simple request at the dealer for a list of parts including labor would be easy to acquire. Plus I'm sure they would have no problem lifting the vehicle and showing you the damaged components. If they refuse, THEN by all means you have the right to question their integrity.

SPH-D710 ? 2

12. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    AS the deale had listed so many parts which needed to replace,the price is about right. Besides, as other said, your insurance Co. wil take care and your deductable is $500. Go ahead. When you deal with them,you have to mention you need to see the exchanged parts( though they might get from other cars,if that is a dishonest dealer, and at least you can see them). By the way you've mentioned you Camry did this 'incident' before and now the Prius. It seems you are not paying enough attention when turning ,especially inside the parking lot since those curb layout is unfamilar to you. I pay much attention when doing turning in paking lot.

13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. If you obtain a list of part numbers and descriptions, then you can go to a website like AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts | Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Parts and Accessories - Houston, Texas

to look up list parts pricing and compare to your quote.

2. If you are wondering whether the quote is reasonable, you can consult with your insurance agent. It's up to your insurance company to review the quote since they are paying most of the bill.

14. Kory Matthew

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you Patrick, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. I wasn't aware of those sites. My agent called me back and they aren't allowing some of the repairs yet. The dealership assumed the suspension parts were bad and planned on replacing them, even though there is no visible damage. The insurance company is making them replace the steering components and then put the car on the alignment rack to make sure the suspension parts are bad. I won't know until next Tuesday or Wednesday because they have to order everything in.

ahmeow, this didn't happen in a parking lot. You are unable to see most curbs after a 3 inch snowfall, and hitting two curbs in 4 years hardly means I am not paying attention. I used that to point out there was no damage in the Camry, even though the two incidents were essentially the same.