1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer-installed alarm sounds when passenger door, trunk opened

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by cablesm, Jan 27, 2013.

1. cablesm

cablesm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My father recently purchased a 2012 Prius 3. To reduce his insurance premiums, he purchased an alarm system, which the dealer installed for him a few days after he first took the car off the lot. He doesn't know which alarm system this is. Now, when unlocking or locking the car from the driver's door handle sensor or via the remote, it both chirps (not the horn) and briefly sounds the horn twice or once, depending on whether you are unlocking or locking. This isn't too much of a problem, but it might help you identify whether this is a proper Toyota alarm system.
    The problem is that when the car is unlocked from the trunk or the passenger door (using the door handle sensor with the key in pocket), this does not disarm the alarm, and the alarm will sound when the door is opened. The alarm is only disarmed when using the remote's unlock button or using the Smart Key sensor at the driver's door. One of the major differences between the 3 and 2 trims is that the 3 has Smart Key capability on the front doors and the trunk, rather than just the driver's door -- but the alarm has negated this benefit, as opening the trunk or passenger door without first unlocking from the driver's door or remote causes the alarm to sound.

Is this normal for a Toyota-installed alarm?

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't know if it's normal or not but it would certainly be an annoyance.

I would be interested in knowing how much your father's premiums were reduced due to the alarm and how much he paid to have it installed. If his premiums are not reduced by much he might consider having the thing removed.

I have seen quite a few car alarms going off in parking lots etc. and no one pays the slightest attention to them. Insurance company executives must know more about their business than I do but I seriously question the value of car alarms.

Audible Car Alarms Don't Work, FALSE ALARMS - THE CAR THAT CRIED WOLF | PROFESSIONALIZATION OF AUTOMOBILE THEFT | THEFT FROM PROPERTY INSIDE OF CARS

3. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Furthermore, the Prius is the least stolen car in the US. Who needs an alarm?

4. cablesm

cablesm New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect it's more about the contents of the car than the actual car -- the Prius already has electronic ignition and all that jazz, and is thus hard to steal, but without an alarm, someone could break a window without being noticed. I do suspect that it doesn't really do much to prevent theft, though...