1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer lying about delivery date?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Brownie195, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Brownie195

Brownie195 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone - I'm new here :)

I'm ditching my 2002 Cavalier and just ordered (with a $500 refundable deposit) a 2011 Prius Two in Ribbon Blue Metallic this past Saturday. Dealer said 4-6 weeks....max of 8, for delivery.

I'm reading the threads below about people waiting 12, 13+ weeks...even 6 months.

Is my dealer lying?

I'm in the midwest (Missouri) if that helps!

Thanks!

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suppose it depends on the Toyota region... but I don't think anyone has waited 6 months for one here in the US. Perhaps in Japan.
    Your time-frame sounds about right and it will likely show up earlier.

3. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just for giggles.......do a search for Prius cars in your state.....see how many are around......last time I was in the dealer, they only had 2 Pris on the lot. (large dealer)

4. Brownie195

Brownie195 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I'm aware that they can be scarce on lots - our dealer had 2 when we went in on Saturday. The other 3 local dealers each had 1. Our dealer gets 4-8 per week and they sell them immediately. The problem is that they typically are 28K and up (above our price range). We ordered a base model for MSRP (23,500 + delivery + tax) and waived dealer fees.

But the # of cars on lots still tells me nothing regarding estimated delivery for an ordered one.

Edited to add: The local search tells me there at 14 cars available within an hour of me. All above 28.5K

5. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was in for service at my dealer last week 12 2011 prius on the lot.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    your dealer is lying only if he told you he could accurately tell you when you would receive your car. they can only go by what they are told and its an estimate based on fallout

any time there is a wait to get a car, buyers remorse plays a part. and its a bigger part when you have a few months to stew over your decision therefore a percentage of people in line ahead of you will choose not to buy when their turn comes up shortening the time it takes to get yours. your dealer is probably using that to guesstimate your time to delivery.

keep in mind also that each dealer gets an allotment based on previous sales so other people's wait times probably dont have any correlation to yours

7. Seamaster

Seamaster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Was quoted sixteen weeks for mine in the UK, took nearly seven months.

8. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Were his lips moving? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Well, you are from the Show Me state, so your skepticism comes naturally.

9. Troyroy

Troyroy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But the # of cars on lots still tells me nothing regarding estimated delivery for an ordered one.

Edited to add: The local search tells me there at 14 cars available within an hour of me. All above 28.5K[/QUOTE]

You must remember that the dealer does not actually order your car from Japan. He has to find a car like the one you ordered. If he finds it, then he can have it shipped to his dealership...

Can you find a car like you ordered anywhere......if yes....then it's probably the same one the dealer will have shipped for you.

10. bigbattery

bigbattery New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello.

Can't tell you if your dealer is lying about inventory but I can tell everyone here that there are Priuses as far as the eye can see here in Los Angeles. Any color or trim.

Just picked up a winter grey metallic II, 36 month lease, 15k miles per, zero drive off.

Every dealer I visited to shop had at least 30 of them all new. Longo had dozens.

I'd buy a one way cheap airplane ticket and drive one back. Good luck!

11. FLteacher

FLteacher Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer in Ocala had about 8 Prius twos in stock - no blues. The salesman said all they're getting in are twos. I did notice weird upgrades like a rear view camera on the one I looked at. I'm guessing they can make the most money off a two with dealer add ons.

Good advice by a previous poster. Go on-line. I bet you'll find your Prius somewhere nearby without much of a wait. Your dealer can also trade with another dealer for a color, although they don't like to do that, especially on a popular color.

12. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't rely on online inventory listings - call and speak to a sales rep. Dealers sometimes list incoming units as being in their inventory and some are already sold. They believe that if you come into the dealership to buy a car, they can sell you something that day - a used Prius at full current MSRP or another new/used car.

Some folks advise calling and speaking with the fleet or internet sales manager, but many times those reps only work business hours. I look at the dealer website and pick a female sales rep or the oldest looking sales rep and call that person directly. I found these folks tend to play fewer games and give you straight answers regarding what units are in stock, what units are incoming, and how their waiting list works.

13. Cyberous

Cyberous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess all the cars are in California, even my local dealer had 5 but when I went up the San Jose there were 15 or so. Only reason I didn't buy local was I was trying to figure out if the first dealer/sales person was consistent on his statement of only allowing 500 off sticker.

It seem true as that all the second dealer would take off as well and I didn't say a word about seeing the first dealer.

D