1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer offering new Prius for my 2010

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ntocups, May 23, 2012.

1. ntocups

ntocups New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received a call from a Toyota representative "with a great deal". My dealership would accept my 2010 Prius in exchange for a new one, with no money spent on my part, and my monthly financed payments would be "lower". The reason is that the dealership can make more money off of my 2010 Prius than the new ones. Is this a scam?

2. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    REMEMBER "If it's too good to be true, it probably is" but if you get that deal please let me know and I'll drive down there in a heart beat and do the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I knew the 2010's were a great car! :D Didn't know they were that good.

1 person likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a scam to me. if he had said financing was cheaper now, maybe that would work. it doesn't matter which one he can make more money on, it only matters how much he paid for the 12 and how much he will pay for yours. most likely, they just want to get you in there and try to pressure you into something you don't want or need. proceed with caution!

1 person likes this.
  5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ya, you got the right! 2010's rule!

1 person likes this.
  6. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer's periodically do that. My advise ... ignore it.

7. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Same monthly payment, longer term.

That means you pay more in the end.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ditto on many comments here... Though it would be great to know details on your 2010 (money owed, mileage, and the such); and what the new terms would be on the 2012...

9. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Had the same scenario happen to me with my Acura, I'm sure I'll get the same call/notice around 8 months down the line with the Prius too. Yup, just ignore it.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I doubt it was a Toyota rep, but rather a someone at a Toyota dealer.

11. whipper25

whipper25 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It's one way for them to get you into the dealership. Most likely, you'll find out that the trade in won't cover the entire cost of the new Prius and they'll probably ask you to pay a higher down to keep the same or lower monthly.

I got the same letter, and the sales rep that I have a good standing with told me to not bother with those letters. It's a ploy.

12. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealers trolling the state vehicle registration records. For some reason they have given up on my 1992 Ford but are still offering these deals for my inherited 2003 Chevy Cavalier long since paid for.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's a scam because the dealer gets to sell 2 cars instead of one. You're left paying more than you did before and the dealer gets 2 fat commission checks.

It's exactly like the story of my uncle's real estate agent who sold him his house in '85. He calls him up years later and says he's sitting on a goldmine. "Let’s sell the house and get a new one!" Ah, who does it benefit? Certainly not my uncle. The agent will make off like a bandit cause he will make $ selling his home, and my uncle buying a new home. My uncle wasn't stupid. Whose interest does the agent have? My uncle's? Ha, I don’t think so.

1 person likes this.
  14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Fairly common. I'm still getting letters from VW dealers to trade in my '09 Jetta that I traded in last September.

15. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah - I've been getting about one letter a week in the mail from the various dealers in my area offering A GREAT DEAL!!! on my 2010. I already got a great deal on my 2010, even though I paid MSRP at the time (July 2009), it's called great gas mileage and Toyota quality.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got a letter from the our dealership yesterday and the "need" six Corollas because the trade-in values have been the highest in three years! Oh and apparently if we have any other late model cars, bring those too. :rolleyes:

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes...and no. keep in mind, if you have over 30,000 miles on your Prius, they wont do it.

i checked the average cost of my Prius and its kbb is only a few thousand less than what i paid for it. now i got a bit of a discount but not a whole lot of drop in price.

but you realize, you will be extending your payments out 2 years right? so it will cost you more and another thing you want to think about is the P&I curve.

look at the equity in payments on your first 24 and your last 24. you will find that the first 24 benefits the bank...not you

the other reason why your payments would be lower is lower interest. you will no doubt owe more

18. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't get anything for free...

Mostly they just want to get you in the door, sitting in a new vehicle.

At that point? They can probably hope to entice you into something more expensive.

At Best? You give them a good low mileage Prius, that they CAN sell easily. And they sell you a new Prius, re-setting 2 years of payments back to zero and year one.

You're not getting anything for free here.

Imagine you had it payed off? I've never heard of a dealership giving owners an exchange of 2 year old vehicles across the board for brand new versions.