1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer pushback with Optima battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by PoutyPrius, Feb 26, 2012.

1. PoutyPrius

PoutyPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have any of you experienced or heard of dealer pushback when the Optima is installed? The dealer not wanting to work on your car, or explaining that the Optima was the source of all that is wrong in the world? Requiring the battery to be replaced with a Toyota battery, cables, and wiring harness before they could diagnose the codes? I just want to hear if any of you have experienced problems with any mods including the battery at the dealer or service center. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, that's a new one. Assuming that the Optima was installed correctly, for example with the eLearnaid adapter kit and not some hack job, then the dealer is blowing smoke. If it is a hack job then the dealer's work has been made harder.

What problems are you having with the car?

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Go elsewhere. There are some good, and not so good, service departments in the PHX area.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would talk to the Service Manager, not the bathroom attendant!
    Someone is trying to blow smoke up yer butt! As long as the Optima was installed correctly, it will out perform the OEM battery every time!
    There is hopefully another dealer in town you can deal with.!
    The guys lucky he did not try to tell that to me.....:eek:

1 person likes this.
  5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That would be like my dealer refusing to service my wife's Tacoma because it's battery has been replaced with a non OE Toyota battery. I would suggest going elsewhere also, it is odd that a dealership service department would not want to service your car because if an aftermarket battery. Usually a dealer service department will try every way they can to get your money.

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you hearing that? or asking if anyone else has before deciding on the optima?

7. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Excellent question!!! I see that after 3 days your question has not been answered.:rolleyes:

8. jim240

jim240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I herd of a Jeep dealer doing it one time. They said the the battery had too many cc amps. This is a ridiculous statement, but it pays off for them.
    This was a new battery and I'm sure it ended up in one of the mechanics car.

9. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    BigPete and KK6PD like this.
  10. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I am hoping Optima Jim can clarify what the exact differences are between the "Prius-specific Yellow Top" and the other "Group 51 Yellow Top" Optima batteries.

1) Are they all the same dimensions (Group 51), amp-hour capacity and with the same size venting hole?

2) Are only the "Prius-specific Yellow Top" battery posts the small Japanese style?

3) Are there any other differences I might not have thought of?

11. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I was thinking about switching to a Prius-yellow top when my battery starts to go... I'd like to know the difference between the prius specific and group 51 yellow top.

And to answer PoutyPrius, I agree with everyone else's opinion, if the dealer is giving you a hard time about the yellow-top, find another dealer, or go to an independent prius repair shop.

Btw, what issues are you having that require you to go to the dealer for service?

12. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My Pencil Post (Japanese size terminals) Yellow top was an easy drop-in for my 2004 Prius. The difference is the size of the terminals (standard Yellow Top size 51 have SAE terminals). The only issue I had was that the vent hose fitting didn't fit well.

JeffD

13. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Apparently PoutyPrius isn't bothering to respond to requests for additional info (isn't even responding to PMs). He must be Pouty about something!:p

14. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I was starting to wonder if the dealer objected more to the replaced wiring to accommodate a regular Yellow Top Optima battery than to the Optima battery itself. I could possibly understand it too if somehow the negative cable was replaced with a smaller gauge wire, or wasn't crimped correctly.

15. ahmeow

ahmeow Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Which dealer was that. They should be ashamed. Everybody knows the weird christmas tree on the dash was caused by the original stupid baby battery which holds little reserve and the optima can do a great job and it' is design for heavy current demanding.:(

16. Hansi

Hansi New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Installed the Optima (Optima DS46B24R) last week. Took me about 90 minutes. It wasn't a difficult installation at all and a perfect fit. I've got a really bad back which failed me in '86. Being in that bent over position while installing the battery causes me a lot of pain. I took my time and straightened up quite a bit. I had my 120k service done at the dealer and spoke to them about the Optima battery. They had no problems whatsoever.

17. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi sub3marathonman, Optima Group 51s available in the USA and manufactured before late-September/early-October of 2011 have SAE posts and two DIN-style vent ports. DS46B24R (Prius-specific batteries) available in the USA have JIS (pencil) posts and one “Prius-style†vent port in the same location as the current Group 51s, produced after early-October 2011, which have the SAE posts.

For many years, we have made a JIS Group 51 battery, but it was exclusively produced for the European and Asian markets. This battery did have the pencil posts and DIN-style vent ports that didn't directly fit the Prius vent system. Internally, the batteries are the same.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries