1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer scare tactic re: Warranty Shack - True or False?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tm2913, Aug 22, 2009.

1. tm2913

tm2913 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The dealership I bought my Prius from warned me that the East coast dealer offering warranties online was being investigated for fraud and avoid buying from them. I didn't mention names and neither did the dealer. Not that the warranty wasn't from Toyota but that the dealer wasn't authorized by insurance code to sell outside of his area. So the dealer is claiming that the extended warranty is a form of insurance and that there are regulations around it. Intimated that the warranty might not be honored as the sale was not legal.

I understand the dealers are having heartburn over lost warranty sales and there is probably some heat being applied by TFS (maybe not, it's still money in TFS's pocket). Just wondering if anyone knows whether there are any legal issues around this?:confused: Or is it just Toyota policies being circumvented (which I definitely have no problem with)?

2. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota is by far the best auto company at the present time, if there were warranter problems going on you'd see them on this forum, I'm not aware of any, walk away from the dealer as fast as you can (with the car) and don't look back
    Definitely a dealer scare tactic
    Don't know of any gen 1 problems and they would be all over the place if there were, personally I have full confidence in the car and the company, why waste money on an extended warranter unless you have money to burn :rolleyes:

3. Priusfinder

Priusfinder New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have sent many customers to the dealer you are referring to who advertises on this forum, and no one has told me of any problems. To my knowledge, extended warranties are nationwide products, and you can purchase them from any dealer.
    Your dealer is trying to scare you. But if you want to be certain, look at the website from Toyota Financial Services and read the terms or send in a question.

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Simple. Tell the dealer to match the price or to stuff his BS.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Assuming, and this is a BIG assumption, that your dealer is talking about the PriusChat connected dealer, all you really know is that someone complained. Surprise, surprise.

I'd be more interested in knowing who the whiner is, and avoid giving any business to that person.

6. jbedi

jbedi New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My dealer gave me a similar story. He told me that California laws are different and policies written by dealers in other states will not be honored by dealers in California. I told him I will get back to him within next three years or when I get to 35000 miles.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Fine reason not to buy a warranty in CA, since it suggests the other 49 states are not covered, eh ? :rolleyes:
    Do car dealers have to pass a liar test to be hired ?

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The policy is sold by the dealer. ASAIK Toyota underwrites the policy. If a dealer won't honor a warranty sold by another dealer then the plan is worthless. The best reason to save your money.