1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership strongly recommending warranty to extend to 5 years, Bogus or good ?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HiPriustess, Jan 29, 2013.

1. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HI... the folks at the dealership ( who have been really great but are there to sell stuff nonetheless) gave me the dreaded spiel about warranties and have almost persueded me to take out the Liberty Protection Plan... ie mechanical component coverage beyond the factory warranty. Since I didn’t want to up my coverage beyond the built-in 3 year manufacturers warranty to the suggested 72 month, 75,000 miles warranty for an additional $ 1663.00, the financial guy is now suggesting a 5 year 60,000 plan that will cost me 1,300.00. His spiel is that it is a no-brainer and that all the Toyota employees there buy it despite their discounts because they know how much parts cost.

I’ve had the car 5 days, and when I ask about purchasing a warranty later or nearer the time the manufacturer’s warranty ends, he said, it’s different coverage since it will be a pre-owned car.

Hmmm....

at the moment, I’m passing on road hazard and pre-paid maintenace beyind the 2 years free... but am probably going with the paintless ding repair for $ 20 a month. I am tempted to get the Enviroguard for the exterior protection but don’t really want any chemicals introduced into the car being sensitive to chemicals.

Any input about protecting the paint also appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Dealers are in the business to try and tack these things on hence the push to get you to buy something, anyone of their extended plans. There are several threads ongoing about extended warranties on PC. Many don't like them and some like the protection they offer. Ultimately it's something only you can make a determination on. Personally I don't find the value in them especially with Toyota vehicles and Prius as problems with them are rare and many of these warranties don't cover certain things anyway should they arise.

HiPriustess likes this.
  3. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks !

Any thoughts on protecting the paint ?? Enviroguard ??

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    From the dealer?! Save the money, no way!

You can buy your own paint sealants and do it yourself, or even have an auto detailer in the area put them on. It's like applying wax, but sealants last way longer.

Paint Sealant, 16 Ounces

- Griot's Garage

or

Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes: Zaino Store

or

Paint Sealant JetSeal 109Auto Detailing Resin Paint Sealant/Protectant JetSeal 109

or

RejeX Paint Sealant, auto paint sealant, Rejex car wax, Rejex paint protectant, rejects, Rejecx

just to name a few lol

Paint sealants only seal and protect so they should be applied when the car is new and/or clean. On lightly oxidized paint or a daily driver just use a sealant that lightly polishes as well, then if you want you can use one of the above sealants afterwards for more protection.

One-Step Sealant, 16 Ounces

- Griot's Garage

Z-AIO All-in-one: Zaino Store

HiPriustess likes this.
  5. Sager809

Sager809 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys, Iworked at a GM in the detail department at the dealership and we used a small bottle of sealent for the paint. Trust me dont go with their "paint protection" its not worth the money! My advice go to you local auto store grab a bottle of meguiares NXT 2.0 or the meguiares Ultimate wax take an hour on the weekend wax your car, do that every year or even twice a year if you want and you will never have a paint issue. I know there is lots of other waxes out there but I have been using meguiares for 20 plus years without an issue.(y)

JMD and HiPriustess like this.
  6. Paul79UF

Paul79UF Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife was convinced to buy the 8 year warranty on her Corolla when she bought it. (We had just started going out at the time, so I didn't feel like I could tell her to not do it. :))

It was a total waste of money. The car just needed oil changes, brake pads, etc in 107k miles with no problems.

It's a Toyota, save your money.

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I got mine for 6 years / 100K. I think it was about $2,000. My main concern was the navi system and the A/C system (which failed a couple times in my previous Prius).

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Extended Warranty?
    I personally would not....if you are totally aware of exactly what coverage you are getting and what price you are paying and still want to get it? Go Ahead....as said, it's up to you. Don't let yourself get bullied. That's a lot of money to spend, you can think about....for weeks....months...even years, despite what they say.

Paint Protection?

Personal experience. About 3 years ago, I bought a new Honda Fit....no extra "paint protection". About a year ago? Maybe less...my Dad bought a Toyota Rav 4. He told me how the dealership had talked him into buying this one time, lifetime "paint protection" that was suppose to be so wonderful he would never have to use wax or sealant ever....

IMO....total BS. Just a money grab. There is no paint protection outside of maybe a Clear Bra-3M type of film, that really offers any significant benefit.

In less than 12 months...my Honda Fit which I do occasionally wax and use "quik wax" products...looks great. My Dads "Paint Protected" Rav 4? .....looks like it needs a good waxing.

I have a 3M clear bra on the front of my Honda Fit....I would marginally recommend it. Hard to prove a negative, or what you aren't seeing but I think it has kept my front end from picking up the usual chips and dings. 2+ years and it looks pretty good. So I think I have seen benefit.

But if we are talking about a 1 time application of sometype of product? I think you can simply use commercially available products yourself and your vehicle is likely to be as well protected or better protected, and probably look better. YOU also will be in control of application and frequency...and know exactly what your vehicle has on it's exterior.

9. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone... I did extend the bumper to bumper mechanical for another 2 years... and got a limitless dent and ding repair warranty anf after much debate I did get talked into the enviroguard, partly for the external protectant.. which they do anytime there’s embedded junk but mostly because if a stain can not be removed in the interior, or there are small punctures to the Softex or the carpets/ mats gets trashed they will replace it/them. It was about 400 for 3 years.... My dealerships thing was if/when you trade in the car you get a $750 rebate when you get the dent ding/ enviroguard. I know, I know, they will always massage the deal to make he numbers work for them, but I feel ok about the added protection; all of this came to an additional $45 per month... meanwhile, pleased and relived to see my mpg average hitting the 44 + and even 50+ on the highway, halfway through the first tank. i was getting nervous with the 35- 37 ’s I was seeing in the first 70 miles on the odometer.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    BS

What expensive part is not covered out to ~ 75k miles ? While true that the bumper-bumper warranty ends at 36 months/36k miles, that is hardly the end of warranty coverage.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Save your money. $20 a month for paintless dent repair is a rip off.

image.jpg

12. HiPriustess

HiPriustess New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all.. you may be right about the paintless ding... but I have noticed how dinged up cars get around here and my BF’s prius has lots’o dings... and I think that to get them out can be somewhat costly per event so I did get talked into it... but only because dings drive me crazy....

13. 2013-Prius v

2013-Prius v 2013 Prius v 5

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Its Stealership BS

iPhone ?

woppa and JMD like this.