1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Declining EV every day after full charge??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by SocialSuzy, May 17, 2012.

1. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Really starting to get a little frustrated and would love input.....
    Owned our PIP for almost a month now. First week, fully charged EV miles were showing around 13.7. 2nd Week, around 12.2, 3rd week, 10.5 and now this week it's gone from 9.6 to 9.1???

Nothing different, local driving, some 40 mile trips each way, but all the same driving. Same charging as well. Plug in at night, 8 hours later start it up and the EV is gradually getting lower. We paid the "Prius Premium" for this car based on the 13 - 15 mile EV range that we were told and as advertised. Now it's slowly getting less and less EV and I still have not even hit 1,000 miles on the car yet?

And the service dept. guy has no answer - he's had it 3 times to look at it - as I've posted before, he has admitted that Toyota has not sent him to or any of the staff to training on the car. So he does not know what to make of it.......

Next emails will be to Toyota corporate........:confused:

2. hmcgregor

hmcgregor New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is going to be a hard question for you to answer, but I will ask anyway.

Is your actually EV range changing, or is the reported EV range changing.

The car will learn your EV range based on your driving conditions, and adjust the reported range accordingly.

I suspect based on your driving pattern that your actual EV only range is in the 9 mile range (hills, lots of stop and go, etc all reduce the range), and the computer is just learning and reporting more accurately.

To the most part I ignore the EV range except when I am getting "low" and need to determine if it will be better to just force the car out of EV and into Hybrid or let the car turn to hybrid when I am only a few minutes from my destination (I want to ensure the engine gets a full warm up cycle).

In way instead of miles the dash board should be saying how many kw/hrs you have available. Your Gas tank has X number of gallons of Gas in it, the car attempts to approximate your cruising range until "Low" but it can be off by a fair amount depending on the mileage you get, and as far as I know the car does NOT attempt to learn and adjust the cruising range calculation.

1 person likes this.
  3. SocialSuzy

SocialSuzy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. You did hit it on the head with my driving terrain. I'm in Sacramento, Northern CA Foothill driving. So up and down moderate subdivision hills daily, stop and go and then throw in a couple of days of highway traffic into the week going 70mph.
    But I don't understand how come it keeps depleting? I'm worried it's going to eventually get down to 2 miles at this rate since I've owned it 4 weeks, and each week, a mile or two drop in the EV in the morning on a full charge??? I'll post pics tomorrow as it's my actual posted EV on the board when I first turn the car on that shows a lower number every few days.

4. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm betting you're getting the same range as the day you drove it home, it's just the factory set estimate that's adjusting to your particular route and driving habits. Toyota should probably set it low so buyers could watch it climb as they drive!

5. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    really? after 1 month? you're better off selling that car. Please take this the wrong way. it's sarcasm. Have a bit of patience. Give it some more miles. it's like people have NO patience. I want my 100 MPG NOW. It just doesn't work like that. In 2004 with my new Gen 2, I could barely see above 35 MPG in my 5 minute city drives...gee I wondered why. I drove it a further 110,000 miles with very few issues at 47 MPG average (not just city!) and am completely satisfied. Post again after a summer of driving and do that...just drive it.

Or one could trade across to a Volt. They seem to have really good reviews.

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How heavily have you been using the AC? It has been getting hotter here in Sac over the last few weeks. AC use can really drop mpg so I would assume it would reduce EV miles as well.

7. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you own a Prius prior to this PHV? Curious as to your driving habits and understanding of 'energy management'

Do you use your charge timer to delay your overnight charge until shortly before your routine departure time?

Turn off your A/C before you leave, and your EV range will indicate higher.
    Drive for a short distance and turn it back on.

Are you using the HSI and minimizing heavy, rapid acceleration in EV mode?

Hills will deplete your EV range very quickly.

8. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    It's sounds like you might not be using the timer to have your car reach full charge right before you depart. The manual specifically states leaving the car fully charged should be avoided.

Having the car sit fully charged but not driving it is not good for the battery. I doubt you have damaged it that much but you should use the timer (and read the manual). Maybe you already do this, but it didn't sound like it from your original post.

2 people like this.
  9. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Those hills you are driving are definitely impacting your range. I was consistently seeing low 11's/high 10's until I began looking at where I was driving and how quickly the EV range was moving downward. I came to realize that the last two miles to my home are all slightly uphill and it was using a lot of the EV range to cover that distance. So I began to test the range. For the last 2 1/2 weeks I have switched over to HV mode about a mile before I get to the uphill area. (The ICE engine needs some time to warm up). My EV range has been increasing every day when I first start the car. This morning it was at 14.0. If you have some long uphill runs, try going to HV mode about a mile before you get to that area.

1 person likes this.
  10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm curious what area the OP is driving in and what constitutes "hilly" area. If driving from Sacramento up Hwy50 to Cameron Park area or up I80 from Roseville to Auburn area then EV miles would definitely suffer as does regular gas mileage. Otherwise, the Sacramento area is pretty darn flat (valley).

Maybe if you used an App like Google's "My Tracks" to show your elevation mapping we could help you figure out the best strategy for maximizing your EV miles. This is an example of my morning commute map from Davis to Auburn. Elevation is multiplied by 10 so my end point is 1,200ft ASL.

[​IMG]

11. JamesCSmith

JamesCSmith New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Suzy,

How far have you driven when it switches out of EV mode? Do you go further than the 9.1 miles it predicted?

Ignore what the rage predictor says and focus on how far you are actually able to drive in EV mode.

1 person likes this.
  12. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Socialsuzy -- well I'm still pretty new to the PiP (3 weeks now), but from what I have been reading on these blogs it seems like you should save the EV for the flat or downhill terrain and use HV for the hills. I just drove home (Pasadena - Long Beach) yesterday on surface streets for 20 miles then 6 miles freeway. I drove the first 20 miles on pure EV. But to my advantage, Pasadena is in the foothills, and my house is at sea level.

Try doing some EV driving in the flats, I bet your estimates will go up.

13. timdsd

timdsd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm getting 9.5 - 9.8 miles on a full charge (that's the car's estimate). I think it's due to somewhat hilly terrain in urban San Diego and my stop and go driving (lots of stop signs). No A/C or heat, and no hard acceleration, very little highway driving. I suspect that's the best I'll get.

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing is depleting. The car is just changing its estimate of how far you'll go, based on your driving habits.

If you fully charge the car, reset the trip odo, and drive very, very gently, you can go a very long way in EV mode. You can try it if you want... accelerate and brake very very gradually, drive only at the speed limit, and the range will go way up.

15. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    One thing that I do is use the timer every day. I don't start charging in the evening. I set the timer for 3 AM so it will be ready to go just before I'm ready to drive the car at 7 AM.
    Toyota says charge it just before you drive it. If you're not going to drive it for a day or so, don't let it sit there with a full charge; that's not good for the battery.

1 person likes this.
  16. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The first couple days I saw 13.1 miles shown on the MID. Given my wife drives it for commute, a week later the mile estimate dropped to 12.6 - 12.8 gradually, and it stays in this range now. I think this is the estimate based on my wife driving habit.

However, when I drive it during the weekend, I can drive the car 2-3 miles more than what it shows.

17. wmmmmm

wmmmmm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just did my first real life apples to apples comparison with the estimated range and actual range today and here's what I found. I was driving to work and at the end of the commute, there are some freeway driving at under 60 mph and about 3 miles of street driving. I usually hit the EV button at that time to burn off the excess battery so I get to work with HV mode kicking in about a block away from work. I noticed that the EV range was 4.8 miles at that time. When the EV range dropped to 0, I noticed that I had gone over 6 miles. Of course, there are some regen and I didn't take into consideration of bringing the PIP up to 60 mph (can't use EV because of traffic :)). But with the gauge saying that I was at 100% EV and no HV usage for that time, it shows that EV range is just an estimate. Unfortunately, I don't do enough mid-range driving so this is my one data point. Btw, my fully charged estimated range without AC is about 10.5 miles and it hasn't changed.

18. bayarea99

bayarea99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

19. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The car is giving you an estimate which adjusts itself based on past trips. If you drive up alot of hills which consumes alot of power from the battery your ev range estimate will decline. It'll level off after more and more miles of driving that same route. Now if you do a different route over and over which nets you more ev distance on a full charge, it'll go up.

Hills and a heavy foot use alot of power thus decreasing the EV range estimate. I wouldn't personally waste my time going to the dealership anymore since the car is working properly.

3 people like this.
  20. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Mark you hit it right on the head. SocialSuzy stop worrying and enjoy your car. I have the same situation with my PIP driving the same route day in day out.The other day I drove on a much flatter route, and I thought the car was never going to run out of EV mode. It went well over 15 miles before switching to HV.