1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decrease your tire pressure 5-7 PSI for a 10% mileage improvement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChrisHenry, Oct 26, 2007.

1. ChrisHenry

ChrisHenry New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Saw some text on a display selling tire pressure testers that said, "Decrease your tire pressure 5-7 PSI for a 10% mileage improvement". Seriously.

Yes, it really said that you should DECREASE your pressure to INCREASE mileaage. I read it several times to make sure I wasn't misreading.

I'm new around here, but have been doing some reading, and this seems to be nice person-backwards. In fact, I was at Kragen to buy a pressure tester so I could increase my pressure as described in in Toyota Prius User-Guide that's posted on John1701a.com.

Any thoughts?

2. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That display is f*cked up.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Agreed.

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a bunch of people a favor: go back with a black sharpie and maybe some tape, and fix it. That display is so stupid as to be a liability given what tires do when they are under-inflated and run on the highway.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Henry @ Oct 26 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]530595[/snapback]</div>
    Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!!!

Ask them if the poster is for sale and let me know. <GRINS>

Actually 'Brick' is right about the safety issue. There were a bunch of SUV rollover accidents, many fatal, due to a tire inflation problem and weak tire. These were the infamous Firestone/Ford accidents. Seriously, I would pay for that poster (and a land shark would live for a decade on it!)

Bob Wilson

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Oct 26 2007, 09:52 PM) [snapback]530648[/snapback]</div>
    Why not ask in the tire store if they made a mistake?

7. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That must have been a typo, or could you possibly have misread it? I was just in the Toyota Service Center today and was browsing around while waiting, and I saw a little display of tire pressure gauges (shaped like a little tire, dial-type readout, bleeder valve, almost got one, actually) and the display read "a decrease of tire pressure by 5-7 PSI can increase consumption by 10%", with smaller print underneath that saying that it could cost 2-3 MPG. I thought it said the same thing you posted and had to go back and reread it, got to admit it wasn't worded very well. If I had seen this post while I was there i would have snapped a quick picture. I remember those figures though, that's what caught my eye on the thread.

8. pviebey

pviebey New Member

Hmmmm. Was it maybe ""Decrease your tire pressure 5-7 PSI for a 10% tire sales improvement"...

When those tired wear down weird and I get to sell you more tires....... B)

9. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris Henry @ Oct 25 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]530595[/snapback]</div>
    I was at the Fountain Valley, Calif, Costco tire store. I asked the tech to fill my tires at 42/40 for my Prius, and he just about had a heart attack. He went on and on about having pressures that high, and be sure to follow directions on the front door panels which states what pressures were for this Prius. I also asked if he had ever serviced another Prius before, and it was not a solid recognizable/understandable mumble.

10. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LYLUVLY @ Oct 26 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]530808[/snapback]</div>
    You could have also asked him if he knew what the approximate burst psi is for your tires. (200-220 psi)

PA P

11. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pviebey @ Oct 26 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]530807[/snapback]</div>
    I agree if that is what the display really says then they want to sell tires.