1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deer alert whistles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by debrasnell, Nov 13, 2007.

1. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

We live in an area with a large deer population. I purchased DeerAlert whistles but they don't seem to fit anywhere. They are too long to attach to the top of the license plate holder and they will point down anywhere else. Any ideas? Does anyone know if there is a particular brand that works?

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The best place to put deer whistles on a Prius is in the glove box. They don't work, so it's easier to just toss them in there and forget about them. If you are really attached to the idea of deer whistles, I have some comet pills I will sell you at a reasonable price. :lol:

Tom

3. bigboy

bigboy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 13 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]539062[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed...used to live in Pa., where the deer run like dogs. never saw one deterred by w whistle.
    I hear though, they are very popular with the folks that sell them....hmmm

4. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From what I've read, deer whistles don't do anything.

Laying on your horn when you see a deer up ahead can coax the deer into making a decision, like leaving the roadway.

The main thing is to scan for deer and have the earliest warning that way. Also assume that when you see a deer that there are at least two more following the one you spotted.

Harry

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Put them on the deer, then you'll hear them coming...

6. thehabs

thehabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Nov 13 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]539062[/snapback]</div>

I agree 100%. I mounted some deer whistles on the front of my Chevy Blazer several years ago and promptly implanted one into the side of a doe within 2 days. They do not work and are a waste of money.

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(debrasnell @ Nov 13 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]539030[/snapback]</div>
    Put them is a bag and return them for a refund. They are "snake oil." There have been a couple studies on deer whistles and they have shown the same results. INEFFECTIVE!!

We live in the heart of deer country here as well. My dad had $5000 damage about 15 years ago and the deer knocked the deer whistles off as well.

Here is one study by Uconn.

8. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Put them on the back end, so they'll hear you when they're overtaking! :lol:

9. personallyuneek

personallyuneek Yankee fan in New England

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    While I agree with the masses they may not work.... :(

If I were to put them on, I would stick them on the surface behind the lower grill plate. ;)

Good Luck

Dael likes this.
  10. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well cool! I learn something everyday, and I've gone around the sun a LOT!

11. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ". . . he found that the whistles typically produce a signal either at a frequency of 3 kilohertz (kHz) or 12 kHz. Both, as it turns out, are problematic. The hearing range of white-tailed deer, the most common species in the United States, is between 2 kHz and 6 kHz, so the animal is not capable of hearing the 12 kHz signal."

Do you have a cite for this? Based on personal observation, I believe deer can hear a much wider (lower) range than that.

12. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From the link above....

She cites Peter Scheifele, director of bioacoustics research at the National Undersea Research Center, conducted a scientific study of deer whistles.

13. prim2

prim2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe that may have been from a rather flawed undersea study of Key deer.

14. debrasnell

debrasnell New Member

OK, maybe so. I wonder how Mule Deer's hearing is...

15. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Deer whistles can be mounted on the plastic plate under the car behind the front bumper. That's where I mounted mine. A few months later I hit a deer and haven't bothered replacing the whistles.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(8AA @ Nov 16 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]540525[/snapback]</div>
    You are better off to polarize the hull plating when driving though deer country. :D

Tom