1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delay in switching back to EV

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by uropip, Mar 3, 2014.

1. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Has happened recently a couple times..
    Driving at highway speeds in HV.
    I plan the distance to my exit to be able to use EV mode as much as I can.
    So at a calculated distance from the exit I slow down to 61-62 mph, shut the heat off and switch back to EV.
    Until recently this works without fail.
    Coolant temp was around 190 so I know the ICE was "warmed up".
    On a couple of instances, both with outside temps in the mid 20's to mid 30's F, the car wouldnt switch back into EV.
    Not for a few miles.
    Once was about 5 miles.
    I tried slowing down to 55mph.
    Throttle loads were low.
    On the display it showed the ICE was off but my ultra gauge showed engine rpm just under 1000 RPM.
    The HSI display showed the EV type load bar (vs the split HV type) but the EV icon was off.
    Then it finally switched to EV

Also a couple times just slowing down to 61-62 wouldnt trigger the change like it used to.. I needed to fully let off the throttle for a second then it would switch.
    Very weird.
    Anyone have any insight?

Galaxy Note 10.1 ? Pro

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My theory is that, when the outside temp is very cold, the PHV battery pack is cold as well. Perhaps you parked it outside overnight? Unless you park in the heated garage, your pack will be close to the outside temp as well.

When the pack temp is low, it can make limited power. It won't make 38 kW like in normal condition. If you have your accelerator pressed at say 20 kW and the pack can't provide that much power, it won't go into EV mode.

That's my theory anyway. With custom PIDs in Torque app, you can see the discharge and charge power allowed by the computer. Those numbers change depending on the pack temp as well as the battery SOC.

3. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This was after half an hour of driving on one instance and 45 minutes of driving on the other instance both using cabin heat while the HV was running on the highway... I imagine the battery had warmed up some what during this time.

Galaxy Note 10.1 ? Pro

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This happens occasional to me as well at the end of my 53 mile commute so I know the engine is good and warm.

For me, it doesn't last for miles though. It lasts on the order of 10's of seconds. It's never taken more than a minute for the EV icon outline to finally fill in and the ICE turn off. The only pattern I've noticed is that it usually happens when just prior to pressing EV, I had pressed hard on the pedal so that the HSI was near or in PWR.

iPhone ?

5. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Uropip,

I also do highway driving and have noticed this same situation. Your distance before EV engagement is much greater than mine. Are you going downhill and regenerating?

I slowdown to 55 and then accelerate slightly and it goes into EV.

6. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Poto I have tried slowing down to even lower than that. Prior to this point I have depleted some ev range so in know I have "room" in the battery for regen. Will have to pay attention to what I do right before.
    Just find it odd that this hasn't happened in the 7 months I have owned til recently

Galaxy S4 ?

7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you park outside before this commute? What are temps like?

I haven't really had any issues like those mentioned above. I will even kick it into EV going down hills using cruise control sometimes with no issue.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i notice that potorap and mmmodem are in warmer climes.

9. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly something in the emissions system needed to be at a certain point.

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also see the delay occasionally- more frequently in the winter, but it did happen once during the summer too.
    I think it's related to battery protection.

11. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Its new england and outside temps lately are from single digits to mid 30s. And yes. Car lives outdoors.
    I am usually in The 5-7 miles of ev left range when its happened.
    And coolant temps of at least over 175 but around 190 as I remember it based off my ultragauge

Galaxy S4 ?

12. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think I understand your symptoms. My strategy is to wait while slowing down at freeway off-ramps etc. until the HV mode's "full green car" icon shows on the display indicating that algorithms have shut off the ICE on their own before I manually switch to EV mode. Once the PiP is warm, that "full green car" icon takes from 1 to at most 8 seconds to appear, depending on the rate of slowing down.

13. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I about guarantee is has to do with battery temp. Using the battery doesn't heat it up near as much as what people think. That combined with you are obviously in HV for the highway portion, which wouldn't do anything to the temp of the battery. The battery is simply cold.

14. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I understand your logic completely.. However There might be a flaw. The recent weather is "warmer" than its been. And when it was colder (low single digits) this didn't happen.

Galaxy S4 ?

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cold battery will definitely prevent EV mode. It must be drawn from a little bit to generate some internal warmth.

A simple solution for that is to simply switch to EV-BOOST shortly before you want EV. That will be enough to provide the needed heating. It also allows you to capture more from regen as you exit the highway.

markabele likes this.
  16. uropip

uropip Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a new occurance.. In the last week only.

I have done this dozens of times prior and it worked perfectly.. Including MUCH COLDER temps than this past week.

Galaxy S4 ?

17. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It could be that it is trying to return the borrowed charge into the battery before shutting the engine down and go into EV mode. HV mode is charge sustain so, the computer may be trying to get the state of charge back to the level it started at.

18. gallde

gallde Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've noticed that mine is sluggish to drop back to EV after driving over 65 until I let off on the throttle.

19. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Get an aftermarket gauge and watch what happens. It's cutting fuel and allowing the engine to spin without consumption, waiting to see what you want from the system next.

Letting up on the throttle instructs it to shut off the engine right away. It would eventually do that later. But there isn't much to gain since gas isn't being used then anyway.

20. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this spinning with engine compression or without? Sometimes the system uses engine compression as a way to dissipate energy as an alternative to applying the friction brakes, when the battery is full and cannot take any more regeneration. Other times the engine is spun without compression (essentially free-wheeling) to satisfy the speed differential constraints in the power split device. (The Hybrid Synergy Drive is a real engineering marvel.)