1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Demisting/defogging

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Pg350, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Pg350

Pg350 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Anyone got any suggestions re demisting the PiP. I find in ev mode it mists up very quickly especially with 2/3 people in the car on a cold raining English winters day and I need to turn the heater/demister on (which of course kicks the ICE in). I've tried various demisting pads with just seem to smear the windows. Seems a shame to run the ICE and use petrol when I otherwise wouldn't have to!

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Mine does it too, which is annoying I agree. Turning on the a/c gets rid of it/keeps it from happening. problem is if when you turn it on the heater was set a bit high, which it would normally be in the winter/cold weather, it kicks the engine on for the never ending warm up cycle. Another problem is running the a/c to cure this problem when it is cold out makes it, well, cold lol.

Maybe Rain-X Anti Fog is better? I used it but not in the past 15 years. I remember then it would show streaks of light while not driving appear when passing under street lights etc. Maybe they have improved it?

Rain-X® Anti-Fog - Rain-X

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i find fan on low and air flow to feet/windscreen with fresh air on works well, but the feets do get a wee bit chilly. thermal socks?

delrey likes this.
  4. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    yes this
    or just block the foot vents, which will just mean more air going to the windshield and faster defogging too

5. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    So, in the UK you call Defogging, Demisting?
    Does your PIP User Manual call the FRONT button a Defogger button or a Demister button?

When I've been in London or up in Scotland, I've seen the Fog roll in.
    Do you call it Fog or Mist?

We call a very light rain, Mist.

Enjoy the PIP.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have a london mist raincoat.:confused:

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have to take a look down under to see the foot vent. what are you using to block it?

8. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing yet. Might just grab some torn t-shirts.

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's not just a PiP problem. I wiped the Rain X product mentioned above on the insides of the windshield & two front windows. It appears to have solved the problem. It does need to be applied evenly & if it does "white up" (like car wax) just wipe the glass with a clean cloth or paper towel.

10. 34Hupp

34Hupp 1934 Hupmobile - Americas 1st Aerodynamic

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Living in Upstate New York during this “refreshing season”, you need the windshield defrost frequently.

I have seen numerous posts complaining about not having a “defrost only” selection for the heater vents. To prevent the ICE from turning on and still be able to defrost, people were recommending setting the “temp to LO”, selecting “floor and defrost”, and using manual fan control. They then complain about the cold air blowing on their feet. I already have a Jeep that provides that feature through the rusted floor; I wasn’t going that way.

The real solution is to use the true “Defrost” feature; the “FRONT” defrost button. The problem with this is that as soon as you select the FRONT button, it goes to AUTO, AC and fan which turns on the ICE. This is unacceptable for all of us that obsess over keeping that darn thing off…….so…...here is my solution.
    · Make sure your temp is set to LO (mine never leaves that setting)
    · When you first get in the car, keep your foot off the Brake Pedal and press the Power Button twice. This will put the car into IGN mode without putting the car in Ready.
    · Now press the FRONT defrost button, the orange light will come on
    · Press the fan “Off” button. This turns the fan off, but the FRONT orange light stays on.
    · Now place your foot on the Brake Pedal and press the POWER On button. The car will now come to READY, climate control and fan are off, but the FRONT orange light is still on.
    · Now drive in your normal “Prius obsessed style”, and when you need Defrost, press the manual FAN button to direct airflow directly to the windshield (only). No more Cold Feet! (and the ICE does not turn on!!!!)
    · When the windshield is clear, press the fan OFF button to stop the fan, but the Defrost mode is still set (orange light still on).
    This works for me..... hopefully others will find this useful.Happy New Year!!!!!!

delrey, DadofHedgehog and 3PriusMike like this.
  11. Today, in Sacto ( 0700 ) the humidity level was perfect for continuous fogging up of the interior windshield . It took 15 min of air to foot position at 65 degrees F to clear the windshield to about 80% clear. NO defrost Button. In the interim, I could not see to drive! Fortunately I had fabricated a emergency stick for such a situation? Composed of: a hard plastic tube, 15" + a sponge, with webbing, fastened w/ a rubber band. It worked great and allowed me to continue driving a still see! An important ingredient !
    TOYOTA, YOU REALLY SCREWED UP THE WINDSHIELD DEFOG SYSTEM !

delrey likes this.
  12. 34Hupp

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No, I believe Toyota got it just the way they wanted (needed) it. You need to see clearly to be able to drive safely. If the windshield starts to fog, Toyota is obligated (morally and legally) to clear the window as fast as possible to prevent an unsafe condition. They did that by providing the FRONT defrost button that with one push directs all the air to the windshield, turns on the AC (to remove moisture from the air) and turn the fan on high. These actions provide the maximum defrosting/defogging capability of the car, but also reqire the ICE to turn on. We “obsessed” Prius drivers are looking for ways of preventing the ICE from running, and are taking our own assumed risks on visibility and safety (and comfort). There are workarounds that work that we can use if we chose, but Toyota had to provide “easy to use and max capability” for driving safety.

DadofHedgehog and lensovet like this.
  13. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    windshield wonder has that "stick" already made:D

14. I couldn't find that product in this area

15. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. 34 HUPP: Thankyou for the post, but I do not agree with you. Every other car I have ever had came with a open windshield option, cool or warm, fan or no fan for basic defrosting. Toyota made a mistake!

18. 34Hupp

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Toyota has been a legal target the last couple of years……. They are not going to provide a “marginal” defrost/defog option that allows someone (trying to maximize mpg) to only be able to view the road through a small 2 inch clear area at the bottom of the windshield. They need to provide “Safety First” in everything they design. That is what they provided.
    A few posts above I provided a workaround that allows you to direct max air to the windshield without firing the ICE. It must be put in place before you put the car in READY. It works for me, but if the windshield starts to fog and effect my vision (and safety), I’m kicking Toyotas full defrost on!

lensovet and priuskitty like this.
  19. I will try your system in the morning. TY

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i tried 34Hupp's suggestion, everything was fine for a few miles, but the ice came on as soon as i turned the fan back on. what might i have done wrong?