1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Denver to Sacramento and Back II: Good-Bye to Good Mileage

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by coyote303, Sep 3, 2014.

1. coyote303

coyote303 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Last year, I took a round trip from Denver to Sacramento with the goal of getting 50 MPG. Initially thought I achieved the goal because I was looking at the reported mileage, which of course was higher than my actual mileage. (I only had the car a short time, and I didn't realize yet that reported mileage was a bit inflated.) Nevertheless, my mileage wasn't awful.

Denver to Sacramento (and Back) | PriusChat

This year, my mileage was worse. I traveled faster, used cruise control a lot, and I hit some horrific head winds in Wyoming on my way out. In fact, I had a I-might-run-out-of-gas scare because my estimated cruising range was dropping so much faster than my actual mileage thanks to 35 mph headwinds.

Over 40 percent of my car's miles have now been on my two Colorado-California road trips. Since I don't plan to drive out there next year, I hope I can get my overall mileage back up!

Of course, it is funny that I look at the below numbers with sadness since few cars would do better on this trip!

Estimated actual mileage:

2013 CO to CA = 48
    2013 CA to CO = 49
    2014 CO to CA = 45
    2014 CA to CO = 46

I can't give exact numbers since my fill-ups didn't coincide with my departures and arrivals.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everything looks normal, the faster you go, the worse it gets. Also other factors as in the gas you use, tire inflation, oil grade, headwinds, terrain.....all come into play.

Mark323 and coyote303 like this.
  3. Super Mario

Super Mario Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Those look like good numbers to me especially when it's advertised as 46mpg highway. You got that millage with bad driving conditions and going faster so I think you did pretty good. What other cars out there would do better?

Fuu, Mark323 and coyote303 like this.
  4. CardiffChris

CardiffChris Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    II
    San Diego to Florida
    75 to 85 mph, Passing 18 wheelers at 95 to 100mph
    Got as low as 38 mpg
    However no other car does better than 38mpg at those speeds.
    Surprised by passing ability, if you floor it from 70 going around an 18 wheeler you will pass him at 95 to 100mph
    Good Aerodynamics pay dividends at high speed.

Mark323 likes this.
  5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As does a "transmission" with infinite gearing.

6. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe the Elio, But that's not out yet. I will let you know next year. eliomotors.com

... Also did a weekend trip to Cuyahoga Valley National Park on Labor day weekend and back to Maryland. Got 53 mpg spot on each way, which is not too bad for 373 miles & only 7 or so gallons of gas. We did not have to stop for fuel at all, Plus we had to climb through those little Appalachian mountains on the way out and back.

#6 Mark323, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. nsfbr

nsfbr Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lord that looks like a bad idea. Just so you know, 3 wheels gets it classified as a motorcycle, which lets them basically dispense with crashworthiness. I'd stay far, far away.