1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Despite airplane deaths, Tesla's remaining 500 employees push forward with plans

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Rybold, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "The electric-vehicle maker Tesla Motors moved 200 employees into its new Palo Alto headquarters in the Stanford Research Park on Monday, city officials said." -March 2, 2010
    "announced in August it would develop and build its power trains at a new Palo Alto facility, as well as moving its headquarters there. The hulking 350,000-square-foot building, formerly owned by Hewlett-Packard and Agilent Technologies"
    "The power train facility is still coming, Emslie said, but the headquarters move took priority because of the time crunch."
    Tesla kicks tires on new Palo Alto headquarters - San Jose Mercury News

"The death of three Tesla engineers in a plane crash last month was a heavy blow for the tight-knit Californian electric car maker, but it is holding onto its plan of producing and selling the new Model S within three years, its chief designer said Wednesday at the Geneva Motor Show. ... Von Holzhausen said Tesla was already scouring the auto and aerospace industry for talent to meet its ambitious schedule of rolling out its second all-electric model before the end of 2012."
    The Associated Press: Tesla: engineers' death won't derail new model

1 person likes this.
  2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "before the end of 2012"...that's a 1 year set back from the original date...neat how they snuck it in like it was old news....

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Tesla is a visionary company with great ideas and ambitions, and a great car. But the Roadster came out way behind schedule, and it should probably be no surprise that the Sedan has been delayed.

A friend of mine describes himself as a "chrono-optimist." It's his way of saying "when I give you a date, take it with a few bags of salt." When I first met him, a couple of years ago, he confidently told me not to consider lithium for my car because EEStor (which I had not yet heard of) was bringing out the EESU in 3 to 4 months from then. When I tease him about that, he says, "What can I say? I'm a chrono-optimist."

I think the folks at Tesla are chrono-optimists. I believe the Model S will be the best electric sedan on the road. But I don't believe even the revised production date.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They'll have it done in a year.

Now it's just a question of which year.

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There will be delays, but it will be a car worth waiting for. -- Except that I don't want to wait, which is why I'll buy a Leaf if I can get onto the list. Once the S comes out, I'll probably trade up.

6. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm hoping that Tesla has the kinks worked out. They had problems with a two speed transmission and securing the production line. I remember Lotus was giving them problem.

7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You just lit up a light bulb for me. Thanks. :)
    (I currently drive 40 miles per day, each way. I'm torn between a hybrid and a luxury car (I want both). I've been thinking about the Lexus HS250h, but it only gets 35mpg)

If the Tesla can get 100 miles on a charge, it could be a solution for me!
    Maybe. Let's see what Lexus comes up with between now and 2012. I just might be interested in the Tesla if Toyota can't step up to the PHEV challenge.

8. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Nissan Leaf will also get 100 miles/charge, and is being released at the end of this year, in 5 different markets. Rumored to be about $30K, but no formal pricing has been released yet.

Nissan LEAF Electric Car | Nissan USA Official Site

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think most EV people suggest using 70% of the maximum quoted range as a realistic/real-world range when NEW. While the poster might make it too/from work in the Leaf he'd be leaving himself little margin for error and in untoward weather or traffic conditions and as the battery aged could run into issues.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Tesla model S will have optional expanded battery packs, so you can opt for the 250-mile pack (for more money). And at $50,000 (with the smallest of their battery packs) the Tesla S should be a fairly luxurious car.

Nissan is promising 100 miles at (moderate) freeway speed. I believe them. The first release of the Nissan will have just the one battery pack, but at some unspecified time in the future Nissan will offer upgrades to bigger battery packs. (This is official from Nissan.)

I have absolutely no basis for this, but I expect the Tesla S to ship to the folks on the top of the waiting list in two years, and after one more year to be available on a short wait. If I can get a leaf this December (a very big IF) then in three years I might be inclined to upgrade to an S. Of course, that assumes that I'm not so happy with the Leaf that I just stick with it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks Daniel (and Mitch and Efusco).

I will take a serious look at the Model S when more info becomes available. I'm probably looking to buy sometime during the second half of 2011. (the PHV Prius is still on the table, but I really wish I could get a PHV Lexus or other luxury plug-in or full-electric)
    I agree with you though that the first Model S sedans will likely be scooped up by very wealthy people and the few upper-middle people that managed to get their names on the waiting list.
    (Btw, I was at a car show this morning and I saw two Tesla roadsters. Awesome cars!)

12. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about the CT 200h. Basically same drivetrain as the Prius so should get Prius-like fuel economy numbers.

Lexus - Future/Concept Vehicles - CT200h

Of course, a pure EV with 100+ miles range would be better, but you'll have to wait longer for a luxurious one.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You suggest a car that is a "future/concept" vehicle, but discount a car like the Leaf or Tesla Model S because they're not available yet?

And the CT200h looks like it will sacrifice economy for performance. So, no, it will not get Prius-like fuel economy numbers. There seems to be a standard that cars with a luxurious interior must have peppy acceleration, and that will always result in lower efficiency in a gasoline-burning car. Maybe some day someone will build a car with a Lexus interior but a Prius's modest performance and high efficiency.

But since this thread is about Tesla, I expect the Model S will meet the requirements for luxury, performance, and efficiency (though of course more efficient if you choose to drive it gently and generally avoid exercising its performance).

14. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't say the Model S production has been "scooped up". AFAIK anyone can still place a reservation. It will take some time before there are cars in stores waiting for buyers and the wait time is down to a few months.

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Signature models that require a $40,000 deposit are still available, but they will be the first on the roads and thus will be in the hands of those with the most cash. Total sales are something over 2000 reservations so far, so getting on the list will put you something under #1800 for the standard US reservations. I wouldn't be surprised if that means it's late 2012 at least before you'd get your model S...even factoring in cancellations.