1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Detroit News article as 1st Volts roll off the line today

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by DetPrius, Nov 30, 2010.

1. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    GM's 2011 Chevy Volt hopes to change game | detnews.com | The Detroit News

"People are going to vote with their choices," said Mark Duvall, a director at the Electric Power Research Institute in Palo Alto, Calif. "We are essentially electing the successor to the Toyota Prius."

"This is a chance for Chevrolet to grab the hybrid-green car needle away from Toyota," said James Bell, an analyst with Kelley Blue Book in Irvine, Calif.

Personally, I don't see the Volt and Prius competing with each other.

3 people like this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Volt won't be competition until price is competitive and quantity is increased. And even then, the fact that it depends upon a plug keeps it in a different category.

Consumers will be hesitant to vote with their wallet until enough real-world data emerges to make the choice worthwhile. Since their requirements for a high-efficiency vehicle are far from certain, engineering achievement doesn't necessarily equate to high-volume sales. This market here doesn't represent the rest of the world either.

As much as Detroit yearns to declare victory, the production that starts today is really just a milestone along a long road to success.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is a big milestone. I hope they continue to improve it.

4. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Volt isn't a serious effort to increase the hybrid market. The one thing that will do that is higher gas prices. $2.95 a gallon for regular right now in these parts. A guy at the store asked me the other day about my Prius. A sign people are beginning to think about hybrids with gas about $3.00.
    At $4 gas, we know the hybrid inventory will dry up in a hurry.

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Were you watching the event live as that is nearly a verbatim quote from one of the speakers? ;) "The Electrification of the car has begun" was an often repeated phrase that also was used to stress this is just the first step.

As a photographer, I really appreciated the digital photography analogy used during the press conference afterwards as I have used that one too to help explain the Volt (and hybrid) concepts to others. Ten years ago, the first digital camera that I truly lusted for from a professional standpoint is now laughable compared to today's choices.

Let's hope that 10 years from now, the future Prius, Leaf, and Volt variants will have advanced just as far just as fast. :cheer2:

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I love my VGA resolution HP digital camera that used 8 AA batteries for 20 images!

7. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It's great to be honored and recognized as #1. Every team on the schedule dreams of knocking off the #1 team.

Perhaps, the Volt will take the title from Toyota, but I don't think they will. We must not assume that Toyota is finished, and will no longer develop and refine technology along the way.

Competition is good. Personally, however, I do not see the Volt as Toyota's "direct" competetor. If I were in the market, I would be seriously studying the Volt and the Leaf. Honestly, right now I think I would choose a Cruze over the Volt.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 1st Volt is also being auctioned off, no?

9. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, with the proceeds going to the Detroit Public Schools, which is a disaster zone.

The auctioned car comes with a charging station, bids started at $50,000 and are now at $180,000.

10. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

yup. Guess the brand that had the biggest sales increase yoy last month.

Ram. Big effing trucks.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Actually no. VIN 001 is going to GM's Dearborn museum. VIN 002 is being auctioned. VIN 008 is going to the owner of the largest Volt forum/blog, current volt test driver, and #1 Volt fan outside the company and considered to be #1 in line for the first public sale car.

So naturally that leads to speculation on who is getting #'s 003-007.

12. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any PHV Prius (with a kit, until 2012, when the OEM will be available) does better in any commute.
    IMHO, there should be less celebration and more work to achieve a reasonable combinated mileage.
    No offense, Volt is still a project (bad). Selling it as a green solution for all is ridiculous.

13. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it was the Volt vehicle line director saying something like 'car should be able to do it all, commute to work, go on long trips ... '

Ok, so it's becoming a well known fact that the Volt will do about 37 or maybe 40 MPGs on that long trip.

Wouldn't you get about 37 MPGs in a Civic on highway?

------------------------------------

An example of Volt (plug-in) operating costs -

After 1 year of ownership, I have driven x miles in my Volt and have pumped in y gallons of gas and have spent z dollars on electricity (dedicated meter for the car).

So, I get x/y miles per gallon with my Volt and it costs me z / 12 dollars per month to charge up.

14. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, and it won't require premium gasoline, either.

15. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I actually saw the handing over of the keys to the first Volt driver on CNBC this morning. We'll have to wait for the plug-in Prius to compare apples to apples pricewise, but I'm glad that Prius has a valid competitor. It only helps Toyota to make better Priuses and keep prices competitive.

17. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    With a $40k Volt as competition, Toyota might be tempted to increase the price of the Prius PHEV more than they otherwise would. :mad: