1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did anybody get the xzilon protection for their prius and is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 48/50, Jun 16, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Truthfully, if a salesperson is looking out for MY best interests, and they truly care about a customer, they would tell me if it is that good, that I should buy it online, cause it works, and save me a few $100s. That said, based on every single interaction I had with my salesperson, I know that they were concerned for me every step of the way, and would only hope that others here can have someone that concerned about them...

We never really discussed this because Jabber remembered that when I called him to discuss initial order, and again when I wrote my check out to him, I clearly stated what I was looking for, what I was willing to pay, and we were both on the same page from the start as a result. All I did was sign on of the exclusion, got in the new car, and drove off happily down the road...

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    +1

These companies, and the extended warranty companies, are making a profit (well...perhaps not these days) so I've always been of the opinion that self-insuring was the way to go--keep the profit youself.

Same thing with car insurance--sure I have collision & comprehensive, but very high deductibles (if you do the math, the payback is pretty short).

3. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That statement didn't come across as I meant it. I meant to say was

"that is why most salespeople push it the way they do, because they get paid on it. I ask once, and only once. If you don't want it, no problem. And I only offer it to customers that I think could take advantage of it, like darker colored cars, people that keep their cars a long time, people that don't wash/wax regularly." That demographic is the type that could benefit from the warranty.

Sorry for the HUGE brain-f&rt I had while typing..

4. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    At our dealership there isn't a big incentive for salespeople to push it. It is a financial consultants product to sell. I plug it because I use it myself and will be putting it on my Prius when it arrives next month. I, like Jabber, will offer the product to my customer and give them the choice to apply or not.

I am too lazy, and don't enjoy polishing/waxing, which is the main reason I apply Xzilon to all of my vehicles. I have taken advantage of the warranty on every vehicle that I had it on and this is the main benefit of the product. If you enjoy detailing and waxing your car, I would tell you not to get it as it is a waste of your money... Decide if $700 is worth you not having to polish your car for 5 years. Remember if the Xzilon doesn't do its job, you can make a warranty claim.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you don't want to wax your car for 5 years, you can save $700 by not getting this snake oil. There's no way it--or anything else--will last 5 years.

As I've said in other posts, these products are the modern day snake oil. I recognize the point about the warranty, and in my mind that's the only benefit of these products--and I'm a believer of self-insuring.

6. chukiechz

chukiechz New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I got suckered into perma plate when I leased an Infiniti QX4 a long time ago. It's a paint sealant that you can get cheaper and better elsewhere. Its supposed to last X many years, but you're supposed to "refresh" it every 6 months or so with their product, which was essentially wax. So really, I paid a lot of money for some paint sealant, and some free wax. It still needed periodic "refreshing/waxing".

Griots Garage (griotsgarage.com) has some nice car care products. Over priced, but lifetime refund if you are unhappy. I broke one of the spray bottles and called to order another. They told me they would just send me a new one, just had to pay shipping. I used their paint sealant on our QX56, and it held up pretty well for being parked outside all the time, and hardly being washed.

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is this simply a polymer wax? I applied that to my BMW in the 80's and then when I got a scratch that I wanted repaired, the paint shop had a heck of a time making the repair. The polymer chemically bonds qnd if you don't take the sanding down to bare metal the new paint bubbled up.

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yep--most are synthetic polymers. If that's what you want to use (I prefer carnauba wax), you can get a bottle for $20 at any auto parts store, or get some RejeX:
    RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

9. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Disagree, respectfully. I have had friends get more than one new drivers seat after coffee disasters over the years. Also had acid rain spots on a car when I lived in MN. I think it really comes down to what package dealer uses and the quality of their detail staff. I have Halo now on my black (non-metalic) CRV and while I have not had to wax the car in 1.5 years, it seems worthless on the black leather which gets water spots. However, for $450 it was worth it to me to be able to turn the car in at least time and say to the dealer -"its" your problem, period.

I had a Silver Avalon in Boise (lots of sun) for 3 years prior and over here for a year. Thanks to that dealers appearance package, never had to wax and the medium gray leather seats looked like new when I sold it. I could bring it in any time...So don't think it was xzilon but...key is read the warranty before signing and whatever the dealer is asking, negotiate nicely! About to try ResistAll which is seems to be used by a fair amount of dealers nationally...worth $599 to me, esp. since I ordered cloth. I think I will need it!

10. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I bought the Xzilon protection plan and it was discounted by the dealer. We have something in Florida called "Love Bugs". They swarm (Biblically, I might add) for about a month twice a year, and are highly acidic and can actually eat through paint. They are extremely difficult to remove when squashed, even on waxed surfaces. With the Xzilon, they rinse off quite easily. And if they ever damage the paint, there's the "warranty". Floridians will know about these pesky bugs.

11. web1b

web1b Active Member

However "lazy" you are or however much you are someone who doen't "love" to wax the car yourself, why not pay just someone else to wax every 6 months then?
    Even if the xzlillon warranty covers damages caused by your negligent lack of proper paint care, repainted body panels will depreciate the car more at resale than well kept original paint, so you still lose.
    A $39.99 quick hand wax at the local car wash every 6 months will do an at least minimal job of keeping the paint protected.

12. sumguy

sumguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They half heartedly tried selling me Ziebart treatment packages: interior, glass, underbody and exterior. Kind of funny because he was saying [Z] would remove the Toyota interior/glass/exterior finishes and apply the Ziebart brand treatment.

13. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bought a 2011 Blizzard Pearl last August and had Zxilon interior and exterior treatment. It's now May and 20,000 miles on the car. The leather seats still need a lot of elbow grease to clean. Love bug season is here and I just spent an hours soaking and brushing and scrubbing to get 99% of them off. The dealer person said they would be really easy to wash off. I'm asking them to apply another treatment to the front of the car. The Zxilon instructions say they are supposed to apply two coats to cars in states with love bugs (Florida and others)

14. jroussos

jroussos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Love Bug season, April-May and late August- September.

I drive across Alligator Alley at least 4 times a month. I hate Love [IMGLINK][/IMGLINK]Bugs. The front bumper of my white car is almost completely covered in dead black bugs. They also do a job on the windshield causing Obscure vision when thickly covered. Since they don't fly at night I try to time my trips then. I also spray Pam on the front bumper and lead edge of the hood before traveling.

I use Rejex on all leading edges of my plane and my cars. Supposedly it only needs to be applied once a year but in reality i apply it almost monthly in the Love Bug season. It goes on and wipes off real easy. It still takes effort to remove the bugs but the effort is reduced by at least 1/2. I also use Nufinish car wax and i find it almost as good as Rejex.

15. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I found Zaino made bug splatter just rinse off with a hose. No scrubbing required. If you did it before it sat in the sun for a few days.
    Got some more on order for Pearl S. Ran out last Summer.

16. Prius Five Guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've personally ever tried Zaino but will once again plug Rejex. I applied my first double coat 2 weeks ago and its performing extremely well.

Prius is daily driver, parked outside and seems to maintain that newly washed car look a lot longer...

17. LightSpeed

LightSpeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought Zaktek sealant . Every 6 months for 5 years I go in and have it re-applied. I'm in Phoenix and the sun and heat oxidizes paint more rapidly. Carnuba wax breaks down above 115 F.