1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did anyone else just get this email from Time Warner?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Deleted member 111882, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Got this email from Time Warner today:

Important information about your Internet service

We want to inform you of upcoming changes to your Internet service price beginning with your next bill. The Internet Modem Lease will be $5.99.

When leasing a modem from Time Warner Cable you have access to 24/7 customer support and required equipment upgrades or replacements.

Are they for real? Internet Modem Lease? Huh? Don't I already lease their modem?

Didn't Time Warner already get sued for something like this?

Time Warner Cable Sued Over Internet Modem Lease 'Scam' | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

And now they almost doubled the charge. What a total rip. :mad:

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nickel and dime the consumer all for record profits

Look for an alternative or negotiate with them

I did not get that notice

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we can purchase ours with comcast. of course, you have to purchase whenever you need an upgrade.

4. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TW just can't keep there hands out of our pockets. I used to have house payment that were less than my TW bill.

5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I call TWC and negotiate for a better DSL or cable price. Sometimes that have nothing and I call 2 weeks later and they have something.

I once said AT&T is offering me $19 a month and they matched it.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lots of companies lease the equipment to you. Of course you can buy it, but then the onus is on your to repair/replace when the time comes. I purchased my modem from Comcast for around $350, then no monthly payments but it is a business class expensive one. Residential ones are generally less.

Dish Network and Direct TV do the same thing with their receivers, Just like Time Warner and Comcast do it with their cable boxes. $5 to $10 a month per receiver. In a home with 4+ receivers that adds up. We purchased our satellite receivers, but again they were about $600 to $1000 each. Good news is that they are much cheaper now. We just purchased new ones for Shaw Direct and the cheapies were only $50 and the dual PVR was only $350. So $10/mo per tuner is $40/mo extra on the bill for 3 receivers (2 singles + 1 dual) which is easily paid back through the purchases. You just have to pay upfront.

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Comcast here, the modem dies once a year, sometimes it makes it two years, right, rental, 60$+ a year, but a new one is 60$+, buy a new one and call them to get it working, or, take the dead one to them, get a new one already programmed to work ( ;) right ), and then call them to get it working.

8. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You may be able to buy a compatible modem online and return the rental

9. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, that modem rental fee or purchase your own cable modem was the last straw for me. :mad:

Switched over to TV and internet service from our local telephone company which offers TV over their fiber optic.

Getting faster internet (aDSL), service to an additional HD TV, whole home DVR, and a year free HD upgrade for less $$$ than with Time Warner.

Very happy, TW can suck rocks.

SCH-I535

10. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fios is the only way to be. Ditched Comcast, haven't looked back