1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Did the dealership tamper with my new Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Roger T, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2014 Prius Two. My cousin has a 2013 Two, not II, as it is not a 2010.

I am sometimes paranoid about the difference between my 2014 and my cousin's 2013. Her 2013 is quieter, faster to accelerate, very little ICE noise. We have same mileage (25000 miles) as of August 2015.

My 2014 can only accelerate to 15 mph with ICE off in full EV easily. At best after I hit 20 mph, it takes forever to continue to accelerate in EV mode. Like 1 mph difference every 1 sec acceleration after 20mph in full EV (right before the middle line in HSD with ICE off). (7 bars of battery)

I drive my cousin's 2013 occasionally. Her ICE is a lot quieter. Also the 2013 can easily accelerate to 20 mph in full EV mode and further into 30+ mph. The initial thrust of the EV is a lot stronger. The acceleration of 2013 is also a lot smoother (EV and higher speed non-EV). I have the impression my traction battery is a lot weaker than the 2013's. Both two Prii have the 2014 ECU software recall done. I have notice this difference since i got the car.

My dealer seemed sketchy at the time I bought it. I did not specify which specific Prius on the garage I want to get. I only test drove a white Prius but decided to get a new silver. They gave me the wrong interior color(I requested black but they gave me grey. I accepted it because I like the grey too). Before I signed the paperwork to buy the car, they asked me to promise i will only do the maintenance in this dealership, well I said maybe. When I was picking up my car, they hold my car for 2 days before I can pick it up(I guess that's common?)

Sometimes I think maybe the dealership swapped out my brand new ICE and traction battery and replace it with old parts. :-( I got my 2014 in Jan 2014 as new, with 12 miles on the odometer. And the acceleration and power had always the same from the beginning.

Maybe I can find someone around Boston with a gen 3 who is willing to take a look. Unfortunately the only gen 3 I can get my hands on is my cousin's 2013.

I test drove another gen 3 once in the dealership. It gives me the impression of my cousin's 2013.

BTW, I always keep my tire pressure at 38/36. Both my cousin and I use normal mode.

#1 Roger T, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The grass is usually greener on the other side

Roger T likes this.
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do suspect it is just down to "all in the head". Humans suck at sensory perceptions like that.

Get an app that will monitor your acceleration in G's (and log in a graph) as well as speed. Get in one car, and pedal to the metal floor it until you are up at speed, say 60mph. Repeat with the second car. Repeat with the third dealer car (don't tell the test drive guy for extra fun lol).

Then you will have 3 acceleration curves from 3 Prii that all should be pretty equal. If not, then it seems obvious you have something off.

Could be anything from a wheel alignment issue, battery heat (like you park inside where it stays warmer, her outside where it is colder, or whatever), and a thousand other things. But since you're under warranty that isn't your issue.

Roger T likes this.
  4. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Chances are it's all in your head.

Did you buy it at an actual Toyota dealer? I assume so because you bought it new, correct? Then yeah, that didn't happen.

Not sure why they held your car for 2 days, maybe it was financing related or maybe it hadn't been PPI'd yet. Either way, they were not taking those 2 days to swap out your entire, highly complicated, hybrid drive-train. It just doesn't happen outside of a chop shop.

If you are really worried, take it to a different dealer and have them give it the once over. Maybe there was an ECU reflash or something that wasn't done.

Roger T likes this.
  5. FrankB

FrankB Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Has the 2013 had the inverter recall performed?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    some cars are quieter than others, as much as the manufacturing process has improved, it's impossible to make each one homogenous. that's why test drives and pre purchase planning are so important.
    it wouldn't be worth the dealers time to do all that to a car.

Roger T likes this.
  7. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is a nice-looking dealership. Yes, new with 12 miles on odometer. I did not pick it tho. I just told them the color and they asked me to pick up the car later.

Yes both of mine and the 2013.

#7 Roger T, Aug 21, 2015
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I were to compare the 3 gen2 cars I have, they all drive differently. My 2008 is the most quiet, 2006 is the most responsive, and 2005 gives the best mpg. So go figure......they are all suppose to be the same.

Roger T likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's someone here with a pair of PIP, different years, and he's noticed marked difference in EV range. Maybe having two test subjects is just maddening, you start noticing the differences?

10. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you get one of the radioactive cars made after the reactor meltdown?

11. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your comments guys. I am slightly less paranoid now. :LOL:

#11 Roger T, Aug 21, 2015
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it wasn't ernie both was it???:eek:

13. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MPG is HIGHLY dependent of the DRIVER. my car looses a lots of mpg when my wife drives ... go figure ...

bisco and Roger T like this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it goes up when you're wife drives, then you're in trouble.

frodoz737 and Roger T like this.
  15. marrat

marrat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Could it be the ECU learning and adapting, i.e. reacting differently over time? I also felt a difference between the same models when I test drove some.

16. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We have 2 14s and they both drive different. I believe it to be mostly due to the tires. One has the stock Yokohamas and the other has the stock goodyears. the one with the goodyears has more road noise, less mpg, but it wears slower and has better wet traction. If they both have different tires that can effect the ride in both.

17. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

blood pressure and pulse rate does go up ... other things not anymore (that much not from driving at least(

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    2 day wait to pick up, Financing? Adding options? PIP? New Shipment? Dealer trade? All are possibilities. Swapping drivetrains? not likely! o_O

19. Roger T

Roger T Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What about battery? Traction battery is easy enough to get swapped out?

20. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not Likely, why would a New Car dealer do such a thing? It's not worth the risk.

Sporin and Roger T like this.